“Upgrade to the Harbour Club”
Review of The Kowloon Hotel

The Kowloon Hotel
Ranked #131 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We booked on-line with the Kowloon Hotel after doing some internet research on hotels in the Tsim Sha Tsui area of Kowloon. We were offered an upgrade to the Harbour Club for a few dollars extra and took it as we were staying in Hog Kong for 6 days and thought that access to a lounge ands complimentary snacks and drinks would go down well at the end of the day. We were not disappointed.
Space is at a premium in Hong Kong so rooms are small. It is a fact of life and we were ready for it. Our room was comfortable with room for us to spread out a bit. We had complimentary internet - another benefit of the Harbour Club and an excellent view of the harbour - on October 1 we had a premium view of the National Day fireworks!
The room was clean and well serviced daily. The staff at the Harbour Club lounge were very friendly and helpful at all times. They were a pleasure to deal with. Breakfast was excellent with a wide variety of Asian and European food. Again the service was excellent.
Check in and check out were through the Harbour Club lounge on the 17th floor - no need to worry about enormous queues - and we were given a late check out as well which was much appreciated.
The hotel is perfectly located near the harbour. It has walkthrough access to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station which was invaluable. With a pre-paid Octopus card we went anywhere we wanted by rail, bus or ferry for next to nothing. Public transport in HK is efficient and cheap - although crowded at times.
The hotel is situated close by to Canton Road and the Harbour City shopping complex, and to the Star Ferry for a quick ride to Hong Kong Island!
Using the Kowloon Hotel as our base was great and we would have no hesitation in staying there again.

Room Tip: Spend a bit extra and book in the Harbour Club- ask for a harbour view room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank djhdcj
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear djhdcj,

Thank you for staying at The Kowloon Hotel and we are pleased to learn about your experience.
We always aim at exceeding your expectation and would continue to provide the best hospitality to our guests.
The Harbour Club floor provides excellent value with exclusive privileges that you have enjoyed; and the staff are encouraged to know about your stay.
While the buffet breakfast is popular among our guests, we hope it has lightened up your days and served as a good start of your journey.
Conveniently located, you may enjoy shopping and sightseeing within a walking distance.
Thank you once again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you as our regular guests!

Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for The Kowloon Hotel

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent two nights in this central Kowloon Hotel and enjoyed every minute. Arriving jet lagged after 30 hours of flying, we were greeted warmly by the staff. We took up the option of the upgrade and would recommend this to everyone. For a nominal additional $HK500, we were given a larger room (needed as the base rooms are small), corner room with view over Victoria Harbour, King Sized bed, full breakfast each morning, access to the 17th floor lounge(tea, coffee, food and FREE Beer ope all day until 2300hrs) and free yummy cocktails from 1800-2000hrs each night. The rooms were clean, quiet, tidy and totally comfortable. The staff were engaging and always helpful. And they can make a mean Martini!!
The position of the hotel close to Victoria Harbour, Nathan Street and the myriad of shopping opportunities made this an excellent base for first time Hong Kong visitors. The only down side was the upmarket hotel restaurant wasn't really that crash hot but an excellent high quality Cantonese dining experience was available across the road at the 1881 hotel Yummy!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear John C,

Thank you for staying at The Kowloon Hotel and taking the time to share your experience with us.
Our staff are encouraged to hear your feedback about their helpfulness and would like to pass on their thanks for your compliments.
On top of free refreshment (and yes - beer!), our Harbour Club Floor provide personal check in and check out service to ensure the smoothness during your stay. Sorry to make you disappointed about our restaurant but we are confident that with the Michelin crafted dishes, you would like it at your next visit.
Thank you once again and we hope to take care of you couple soon in the future!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Hotel is located at a very good shopping location. Check-In was very smooth and professional. Room was very congested (common in Hong Kong). Bed was comfortable. Toilet was small and adequate.
Only problem is the room does not have any provision to keep your suitcase and is too small to move around.
Buffer breakfast was good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Siva_17
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Thank you for staying at The Kowloon Hotel and sharing your experience with us.
Our hotel is perfectly located in the hub of the city and guests found it very convenient.
Your comments are valuable for us to improve our service standard.
Our staff are encouraged to know that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast.
The Kowloon Hotel would continue to deliver the best hospitality to our guests and we hope to see you soon on your next visit.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The rooms are very small. only one person can be in the "hallway" at a time. The bathroom door is glass and a bit see through. Not ideal!

But the location is amazing. Right above Tsim Sha Tsui Station - just catch the airport express and change at central. Very easy. so close to the harbor.

The concierge was very helpful. they tried to print our boarding passes rather than make us pay the extra charge to use the business center! Too bad the website wasn't working.

Would probably try somewhere different next time I'm in Hong Kong just because of the room size, but if you are just stopping over or having a quick visit and hardly spending any time in your room stay here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

The Kowloon Hotel is ideally located at the heart of the city therefore guests find it very convenient.
On the other hand, our concierge staff are encouraged to hear your feedback and will continue to maintain high standard of service.
We are pleased to serve you and we wish you a delightful stay here.
It is our honor if we could be of service to you on your next visit. Looking forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Hotel is in a great location near transport, shopping etc. Have stayed here several times and never disappointed. Always use the Executive floor as it has great service and value for money. Staff very friendly and eager to please. My only negative would be the lack of views. But you can't have everything!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela G
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for staying with us again and sharing your experience here.
Our Harbour Club Floor provides exclusive privileges to guests such as complimentary check-in, light refreshment and free internet service; therefore guests found it a great value to stay there.
Your comment always motivates us to do better.

The Kowloon Hotel will continue to provide the best hospitality to our guests and we look forward to serving you as our regular guest!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

So, I am a 6'1" male and I can touch the ceiling of the corridors/hallways with my elbows...just to give you all an idea of how cramped this hotel is. The lobby is decent, only 3 tiny couches for guests to sit in and being that you are in Tsim Sha Tsui district by the Peninsula, you would hope that there would be more...

Service is superb! Very helpful staff, right above TST MTR station which is great, room service is also very quick and friendly.

Now to the actual room....OMG...tiny is not the word for it, I think we had a total of 30 square feet, we couldn't even open both of our luggage at the same time because there wasn't enough space, I couldn't even get by my wife in the tiny hallway from door to bed because it was so tight. There is a serious toilet water issue, it comes out brown and the entire bathroom smells like sewage the second you turn down the freezing cold A/C. So it's either my wife freezes to death and we catch colds because of the A/C or we live in a sewage smelling room. This did however motivate us to spend all of our time outside of our room and hotel...which is why we found the services and lounge areas of the hotels so disappointing. For the $250/night we spent, we expected a wee bit more breathing room and a bathroom that didn't smell every single day....can you imagine waking up to dirty brown water in your toilet every morning and that sewage smell...at any rate, we both used the bathrooms on the 2nd floor which were public and much cleaner.

Now the bed, I think it's a single because as much as I do love my wife, I do like a little space between my shoulders and hers. The bed was so tiny, we both barely fit on it together and we are two skinny people. To also describe the room size better, they had a 12" TV on the wall and we could see it perfectly while lying on the bed...yes, it's that cramped....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying at The Kowloon Hotel and sharing your experience with us.
Your comment is valuable to us and it always motivates us to do better.
For your comment regarding to the sewage, please accept our apology; we have already reviewed it with the department concerned for further investigation.
We sincerely hope that you will not judge us by this single experience and looking forward to having another opportunity to restore your faith with us.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I am staying in this hotel since 1986. Recently I read reviews of this hotel and found that it has recently re-furnished. I booked a partial-harbor view room. When I reached hotel, check-in was smooth. I was given room on 7th floor and being harbor view, it was the last one room. But the moment I entered the room, a bad smell welcomed me. I asked the housekeeping who came and sprayed the room but of no help. I asked the reception to change room. They allotted me room on 12th floor. I requested them to transfer my bags with as I had to go for a meeting. BUT reception asked me to wait in newly allotted room till luggage is transferred. I stayed and waited in my room for over 1 hours and after repeated calls at reception my bags were transferred to my room. But I was already late for my meeting so I had to cancel that. But no regret or sorry from the hotel side.
Next day as my flight was at 8 pm, while making booking I requested for late checkout say 4 pm and hotel promised me that they will do do their best to accommodate it. BUT when I requested at reception, they told me that maximum they can do is to allow checkout at 2 pm. I requested again and showed the emails etc. then they said that best they can do is 3 pm and if I want 4 pm, I will have to pay half day charges. It was strange for me as being so old customer, I was expecting better treatment from hotel. They asked me that after 3 pm, I can wait in lobby. But in lobby they hardly have one seating arrangement of 4 or 5 persons which is always full. So i spend around 2 hours in lobby standing.
The only advantage of this hotel is the location, right now the Nathan road, next to harbor. Rooms are small and I didnt find much difference even after refurnishing. Very small flat tv on the wall. No place to keep luggage but on floor. If you open bags then you can not move around in the room.
after this time experience, I will definitely try some other hotel next time.

Room Tip: Dont pay extra for Harbor view room as its not worth as its partial only and very small view of harb...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Atycoon
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Our hotel is ideally located at the city centre and guests found it very convenient.
We first have to apologize for the room assignment and luggage arrangement; we have already reviewed your comment and passed it to the departments concerned for further improvement.
For your comment regarding to late check out, we understand on your need; and the hotel has already tried the best to arrange a later check out time. However, since September is a peak season, it might fail to best accommodate your need. We are sorry to cause you so much inconvenience.
We sincerely value you as our loyal customer and hope that you will not judge us by this single experience. We look forward to having another opportunity to restore your faith with us.