“Surprisingly disappointing”

Ranked #112 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“Surprisingly disappointing”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Having brought two valued guests out of town guests to Nam Fong restaurant here before attending a nearby wedding, I presumed that one hour for a dim sum luncheon would be sufficient and the overall experience would be first rate. The good news: the food was excellent -- but once it arrived. We ordered our "first" four items within minutes of arrival, and generally one expects them to appear shortly, together, for a communal feast, with ample opportunity to order more. Instead, 20 minutes later the first steam basket arrives with 3 dumplings. Those didnt take long for us to devour. The next two baskets about 20 minutes later. The last, later yet, came at about the same time we were told the kitchen was closing (no matter, we had to leave).

An inexcusable, and for me, embarrassing (though my guests understood) occasion. Especially considering the extremely high cost and that no particular apologies or attention were given, this would seem to be far from what is expected, and what I have typically experienced at Le Meridians around the world. There are many great Dim Sum restaurants - luxurious or more local - in Hong Kong.... unless you have a particular reason for being at this one, it is not worth the risk and written off my list.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Len852
LeMeridienCyberport, Executive Assistant Manager at Le Meridien Cyberport, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Len852

I am sorry to hear of your disappointing expereience at Nam Fong, especially the food delivery time and the service rendered by our associates were not up to your expectation. I share your thought that our associates should be more attentive and allow flexibility when dealing with guests. I have addressed this with our Food & Beverage team to make sure we are more vigilant and such mishaps will not be repeated going forward.

I hope despite this unfortunate incident we are able to welcome you back in the future to prove that we deliver superior service and that the incident remains an isolated case. If you allow give us an opportunity to do so, please email me directly on welcome.lmc@lemeridien.com.

Best regards
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The glory of Le Meridien Cyberport lies in the wonderful attention one receives from the staff there, especially the waiters and maitre d's in Prompt - the Western-Oriental fusion style restaurant. The food is marvellous, too ! The Rogan Josh was subtly spicy and delicious all round. The waitresses in the Podium Bar also give very kind attention. Cyberport itself is a hoot- a vast twinkling spaceship of a mall right adjacent to the Hotel, and strangely enough for HK- largely empty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienCyberport, Executive Assistant Manager at Le Meridien Cyberport, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Perry B

Many thanks for your compliments. I am glad to learn that you liked our food and our team was able to deliver the services as promised. I shall share your encouragement with them and we will continue to strive to provide the best service!

Please stay connected with us for more exciting offers and I look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at Le Meridien Cyberport because it is close to my company and I got a special rate. The hotel is quite new and everything is up to date and clean. My room has a slice of the water view. I am more impressed with the park that connects the hotel to the shopping complex and the apartments. I saw children and pets playing there and thought, this is so unlike the stereotype of Hong Kong. The flip side of this is, the hotel is far away from the city center. there is a paid hotel shuttle that can take you to the subway station in HK. If you have party of 2, it is better if you take a taxi.

The rooms are spacious enough. The gym is small but well-equipped. The staff at the gym is excellent. They really anticipate your need.

Like all Asian hotels, breakfast is sumptuous and has both Asian and Western food. This one though, has less Asian food than others I have been to, like the Grand Hyatt or Sheraton.

Since this hotel is connected to a very classy shopping center, there are quite a few restaurants for you to choose from, and some have excellent food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
LeMeridienCyberport, Executive Assistant Manager at Le Meridien Cyberport, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear chicbean

Thank you for your positive comments and I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Our hotel is indeed located conveniently for guest to travel to and from the city center, but at the same time you can enjoy a rather peaceful environment which is rare in Hong Kong.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed at Le Meridien Cyberport on business for 4 nights and it provides a spacious, very moden and clean stay, with great service from the staff. My room had a great view of the passing container ships as they came in/out of port. the hotel is 20-30 minutes outside of the city centre (depending on time of day) so is in a quiet neighbourhood, but the cost savings and space of accomodation you get at Le Meridien more than make up for a taxi to the centre (around 150 HKD depending on traffic).of the hotel shuttle service that runs every hour. The buffet breakfast was amazing - lots of choice (both Asian and international) and really sets you up for a day at the office (or sight seeing!). Will definitely stay here again next time I am at the HK office.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up and facing the sea
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear luxurytravel1001

Many thanks for your compliments.

It is a great encouragement to learn that you loved our rooms and breakfast offerings. I hope to see you again when your travel brings you back to HK.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at the Le Meridien in March while visiting relatives that lived in an apartment complex nearby. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Le Meridien and the location could not have been more convenient for us since we could walk over to our relative's apartment complex easily. That being said, if you do not need to be in the Cyberport area, you're going to spend a small fortune on taxis getting back and forth from the main areas of Hong Kong if you stay here. Taxis were, however, surprisingly easy to come by at the Le Meridien. The hotel was very nice, modern and clean. The free WiFi in public areas was a huge perk and it was fast enough to use Skype easily. The food as with all big business hotels was overpriced and a little bland, but we did receive a coupon at check-in two free coffees which was quite nice and the coffee was actually quite good. The staff was friendly and helpful. We would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienCyberport, General Manager at Le Meridien Cyberport, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear habs07

Thanks for staying with us recently and also for posting your great compliments.

I am pleased to know that you were inspired by our Le Meridien coffee culture and in particular you enjoyed the Illy Coffee we served throughout our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming back for your return visit.

Palm Beach, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband) and I recently stayed in this glorious hotel at Cyberport and found it to be pure luxury with fantastic customer service and facilities.

We came to this hotel after being booked into another hotel where there were cockroaches and no in-house restaurant etc. We got out of there real quick and found this hotel via wotif.com.

When we arrived Leo Lin at reception in particular was extremely caring and helpful. I had an accident falling down the escalators at Guangzhou train station bags and all and damaged my leg, left side of my body and back. He was so understanding as I was still in shock from the accident and the first hotel with the cockroaches!

His continuous smile and fantastic service at the front desk when we checked in will be something I will always remember.

Then there are the other employees who I can’t list them all as I didn’t get their names but were magnificent but here are a few:

Leo Lin
Tammy
Kat (I got really close to her and we will be exchanging emails in future – so attentive)
Martin
Prayna (I also got really close to her and we will be exchanging emails in future – so attentive).
Sophie
Eu
Derek
Sera
The Duty Manager who arranged for the maintenance guys to rectify my leg from the accident in China
All the breakfast staff. I was impressed with the breakfast and that it had gluten free bread as I am gluten intolerant and a vegetarian who only eats fish and shellfish. Perhaps more gluten free products can be added as there was another lady like me there.
The free bar (4th floor) staff. All were extremely friendly and courteous. One got me drunk one night and he laughed!!!!
The Japanese Restaurant staff. So delightful and friendly and I noticed that the 4th floor bar staff sometimes worked there. Good to see that the staff moved around to the various restaurants etc.
Nothing was too much to ask from any of the hotel's staff. They were eager to please us and we will be returning again……this time for longer for a holiday.

Only downfall was the internet. The majority of hotels globally offer free internet but every hotel I went to in China, Hong Kong and Singapore, I had to pay and the internet was inconsistent, kept losing its connection and I struggled to do work. Perhaps Le Meridien Cyperport needs to change its internet service provider and offer this as a free service. When we checked out, they refunded my internet payments without any fuss! A real joy.

The Ocean View room was like being in a small luxury apartment. Extremely luxurious, nice and clean.

Love this hotel, your staff and the manner in which it treats its customers and staff.

Has a beautiful pool and a lot of restaurants to choose from. Then there is the 4th floor al-la-carte restaurant which is where breakfast is served and what a selection of food to choose!!!! I have never seen anything like it.

The 4th floor bar (free drinks and nibblies from 13.00 to midnight if you choose an Ocean View or Business Suite) is magnificent with videos of the latest in music. Great ambience whilst working on your tablet or laptop.

I salute you all!!!!

A R Dell'Osa (also known as Rita Fellows)

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view room as then you get free drinks and nibblies from 13:00 through to midnight...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear RitzyRit

Many thanks for your encouraging lines and it is a pleasure to read of your delight in staying with us.

I have passed on your appreciation to our team and it is definitely a great encouragement to the entire team to know that we have fulfilled our service commitment to you. We will certainly look into the internet charges and include it in our future planning.

We all look forward to seeing you again for another memorable stay with us.

Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Initially we were a little concerned about the location of the Le Meridien Cyberport, since we were only going to be in Hong Kong for two days. Actually, it was kind of nice to be outside of the craziness of the city, where we spent most of our day. Additionally, with the hourly shuttle from the hotel to downtown, it was easy and quick (and cheaper than a cab) to get to/from the hotel. Be sure to know where the hotel is in Cyberport to help the taxi drivers, some don't know the area very well or will just refuse to drive to Cyberport. If you're the type of traveler who can go out in the morning and not return to your hotel until the end of the day, the Le Meridien Cyberport is a great hotel. However, if you like being close to your hotel and taking breaks, the back-and-forth to the hotel will become taxing (and expensive).

The hotel rooms are somewhat small, but modern and very clean. With that modern feel, you can see-through into the bathroom (although there's a curtain you can put down) and doesn't provide much privacy within the room. Just something to keep in mind, depending on who you are traveling with.

The front desk was very helpful with everything, from getting around Hong Kong, restaurant recommendations, what to do/see in Stanley and airport transportation.

Pool: Pretty nice, good size for the hotel and location. Odd that is boarders a restaurant though, so that can be kind of awkward. Additionally, the "hot tub" was not hot at all when we went for our dip, so that was kind of disappointing, since it was a little bit of an overcast and cool day.

There's a couple cool amenities nearby (around the corner) the hotel too... A small mall with a couple restaurants and movie theater, McDonalds and a good-sized grocery store and market - if you want to grab a quick bite, snacks or a healthier breakfast option than McDonalds.

Room Tip: Most rooms have good views, but ask for a water/harbor-view room if available.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Drew M
Dear Drew M

Thank you for writing your reivew on TripAdvisor. I am grateful for your sharing and glad to know that you enjoyed our hotel.

We are indeed not too far away from the city center, just 15 mins away from Central, but here you could enjoy a very relaxing environment which is very rare in Hong Kong.

Look forward to welcoming you again on your return.