“Great deal for a budget hotel”

Harbour Plaza North Point
Ranked #112 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Mumbai
“Great deal for a budget hotel”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The location of the hotel is excellent, as it is located just across exit C of Quarry Bay MTR. There is a 7 eleven, Subway, Pizza Hut and Star Bucks right across, which helped us a lot since we are vegetarians and food is a mahor crisis there. The rooms of the hotel are really tiny, but the staff is friendly and helpful. Overall, a good experience

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Ritesh D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel from 10th of Nov'2013 to 10th of Dec'2013. It was given to me as relocation by my firm. You can only expect much space if you are going for a suit, otherwise cramped up space (usual being Hong Kong). I ordered dinner from Hotel only once, it was Chicken curry and rice, well I have no words to explain how horrible it was. A kind of tin packed curry which was not fresh and smelling. I ordered it late, so that guy who took it to me was kind of sleeping and I woke him up so he was rude (i mean rude). Being from India that is service oriented country (may be best in the world after Japan), I wasn't expecting that guy to be like that may be?

Hotel lobby is good, if you are going to try bar, extremely expensive. Overall cleanliness is good. I stayed in Service apartment so got bottled water twice in a week.

In Service Apartment don't expect breakfast even though my firm paid them (35000 HKD for a month), yes I am not kidding on this.

Location is good, at North point so you could travel anywhere. MTR is 5 minutes. Starbucks 3 minutes. MacD 10 minutes walk. Subway 3.5 minutes.

Room Tip: Pay more expect more space, breakfast I don't know if guaranteed. Though avoid their restaurants...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DhirendraS
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2014

When I saw the reviews on Tripadvisor before I stayed at Harbour North I was rather apprehensive. Some folks had very strong negative impressions about the hotel but thankfully, I was prepared. Thought I'd address some of the critical points in other reviews.

--Wifi. Yes they charge for Wifi, so do yourself a favor and rent a mobile Wifi device (MiFi). I was traveling from America and frankly I couldn't afford the data roaming charges. So, before I departed I rented a MiFi device from Xcom Global (there are others I just happened to use them) and soon as I landed in Hong Kong I turned on the MiFi and accessed my emails and Internet immediately. My iPhone, iPad and laptop all connected to the MiFi just fine. I was also able to make and receive phone calls using my Skype account so as to avoid voice roaming. All of us need Wifi wherever we go, not just in our hotel. For those of you who complained about Wifi costs, what did you do when you weren't at the hotel?

--Food. The breakfast buffet is all you can eat, so not sure why one reviewer complained about not having enough. I noticed that the hotel's clientele is very diverse, from East Asians to Americans, Europeans and Australians to Indians (from the sub-continent). Thus, their breakfast buffet tends to be a little bit of everything. There was a dish of chana shaag (chick peas and spinach) for example that I wouldn't have expected for breakfast but that some folks loved. So if all you want for breakfast is pastries then this is not for you. But then there's a Starbuck's across the street and you can go there. One thing to note is that what folks in Hong Kong think of as "sausage" and "bacon" may not be what you would expect.

--Kitchen. For those of you staying in the suites, there is a kitchen but no cooking utensils as those are only provided to longer term residents. If you really want to cook in a city known for some great food, there is a supermarket also across the street (next to Starbuck's) called Market Place where you can buy groceries and cook yourself. One advice I would give is that you should buy all your drinks (bottled water, soda, etc.) from Market Place and store in the fridge at the hotel. The suite that we stayed at also provided a complimentary fruit bowl that was restocked every day and that was a nice touch.

--Restaurants. Lots of incredible places to eat, but if you prefer the comforts of American fast food, there's a McDonald's, a KFC, a Pizza Hut and other places down the road from Starbuck's. It's a 2 minute walk and on the way to the subway station. You can't miss them.

--Room size. We stayed in a suite and if you can spend a little more money do that. The single rooms are indeed small but really all things considered, the hotel is located in a very central part of Hong Kong so you're really paying for the location.

--Housekeeping. Our room/suite was one of the cleanest of any hotel we have ever stayed at. That was a welcome surprise.

--Water pressure. I'm probably one of the few business travelers out there who cares about water pressure in showers but if you do, you'll love it there. The showers were fantastic.

--Pillows. Much too soft for my taste. Next time I stay there I'll be bringing my own.

--Outlets. Even in a suite we could have used more electrical outlets. I was prepared in advance and brought a Mophie battery pack to charge multiple devices but it was an inconvenience.

Overall we really enjoyed our visit to Hong Kong. The people are lovely and Harbour Plaza provided a clean, hospitable space for us to sleep. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get a suite. For an American traveler the price difference was not signific...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank jackmec
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in during late November 2013. The hotel is located close to the MTR station and the breakfast was good (HK $ 100 for guests). During the evening I could take a walk in the park along the water overlooking Kowloon skyline. Room was spacious and would recommend this anyone visiting HK for a short stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jesse24
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed there for a week last month. Room too small, only one chair provided in the room. While wifi is almost available everywhere in Hong Kong, it is a service rather than a wipe off. This hotel charges HK$130 per day with only one device for wifi. The hotel management should be able to absorb it in the room price but stupid enough to make a super profit charge. You should shop around before you make a choice to pick the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank amsofficer
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Harbour Plaza has exceeded expectations - it looks a bit old and dated, but comes with what you'd expect from a 4 star hotel. It's near the tram stop, several bus stations and the MTR train is across the street, which makes it pretty convenient. They also offer free bus shuttle services that runs every half hour to two routes - Central/Causeway bay or Cityplaza.
We stayed there for 10 nights and used the gym - I never had to wait for a treadmill and they had weights and a cross trainer.
They have a live band entertainment at the lobby lounge - and all drinks come with a free side of nibbles. We had prawn crackers once, then a selection of pretzels, nuts and chips on the other. I also saw they had popcorn once.
We tried their lunch buffet once, and it was good - came with oysters, crab, a live noodle station, carvery, Chinese dishes. Good quality but if you want something fancier maybe try another hotel. This one meets expectations and is good value.
One thing to note - the water pressure was amazing. It was strong and powerful, unlike some of the other hotels I've been to! :)
Overall, our experience was good and I would recommend it to people looking for a good rate and things you'd come to expect from a hotel ie gym, bar, swimming pool, restaurants and a good transport system. The bed was a bit hard for us, but we asked for more pillows and that helped.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a sea view - but it was blocked by another tall building so you could only see a l...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lizzymckenzie
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a week long business trip, and the experience was quite average, bordering on poor.

Check-in - Staff was helpful, although there was a bit of a language issue.

Location - Very good location for me, as it was close to my work place but otherwise it was far away from city centre. A cab ride to city centre or popular tourist spots would cost you around 60 HK dollars.

Food - Very disappointed with the food - insipid and bad spread. Some of the stuff looked stale.

Service - Indifferent staff, not too attentive or interested

Wifi - excellent hi-speed wifi (though that is a norm in HK) but it was annoying that you could connect only one device. Every additional device connected was charged for - quite customer unfriendly.

Over all experience - I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless your work place is very close by. Food would still be a problem though as there are no restaurants/food courts around.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business