“Friendly, efficient and welcoming.”

Harbour Grand Kowloon
Ranked #53 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Gamagori, Japan
“Friendly, efficient and welcoming.”
Reviewed June 9, 2010

My family, including two small children and my mother, all stayed here for 4 nights this June. I'd read a million reviews beforing choosing the hotel and was pretty much prepared for anything. I must add that I booked directly from the hotel (via email not online) and they gave me the same rates as I found on all the booking sites. They were very accomodating and arranged a connecting room for this party of five.
We took the hotel car from the airport which was well worth the money as we were rather tired after the flight (my children are aged 2 and 3). We checked in to two Harbour View rooms and started a wonderful holiday. I can't fault the hotel, the staff were very friendly, especially one particular gentleman at the concierge, who went out of his way to help us every time. We had breakfast in the hotel, well worth the price as it was buffet style and the children were free. The only small complaint I have was the coffee........not the best but enough to kick start my day.
We ate out most of the time except once when we ate at the restaurant outside, the Waterfront. Again, maybe expensive for Hong Kong but not for Japan and the staff and service, as well as the food was great (very western, with western size portions).
We ended up spending more time then I planned at the hotel because of the POOL. Wow, what a pool, my children adored it. Now June is rainy season and the pool is outdoors (and unheated, cold in the morning but warmer by lunchtime), however we were very lucky with the weather and spent hours at the pool.
Again the pool staff were great and we were so well looked after.
We tipped but it took us a day or two to figure it out properly (no tipping where we live) and yet service wasn't dependent on the tips.
We didn't use the internet but I've heard it's expensive, so check it out.
The rooms were oldish, but roomy and very clean with gorgeous views of the bay.
The only other complaint I have (apart from the coffee) was the connecting room. We asked for non smoking and the twin room was fine but contained an ashtray, however no smell. The connecting double room was a smoking room with a definite smell. Didn't bother us but might upset others, be sure to check.
We really really loved it. The hotel is far out but the free shuttle bus is frequent and takes you right in to the centre of town (last stop, near the very very plush Peninsula Hotel). The staff had lots of advice for sight seeing and we even booked two tours (Hong Kong Island tour and Symphony of Lights boat tour) through the hotel. Seriously well looked after.
On the way back, we took a free bus to Kowloon station, checked in our suitcases with Cathy Pacific and took the express to the airport, a very cheap and easy way, (which again, a very kind gentlemen at the concierge went to great pains to explain to this bunch of scattered travellers).
Can't recommend it enough, beautiful views, great walks and the locals practise Tai Chi in the mornings about 8am in front of the hotel restaurant, feel free to join in.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (949)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
South Yorkshire
Reviewed June 7, 2010

The service was spot on. We were upgraded, and on arrival realised we had no iron we asked if it would be possible to have one for the room . It was with us instantly (even though they have a laundry service which would have profited them if we had used it) Although it is not on Hong Kong island I thought this was it's best selling point. You could not get the magnificent views of Hong Kong if you were situated on the Island. Also the star ferry is a 5 min. walk if that. Transport is not a problem and very cheap. Do book a harbour view room it pays for itself as you look out of the window on arrival. Throughout the hotel your eyes are drawn to the view that can be seen from just about everywhere. The pool is a fantastic place to get a panaramic view. All the staff were professional and attentive. Do make full use of the concierge on our seven day trip we consulted him on directions to wherever we were going and not once did he falter or even need to check timetables. Food is pricey but you get what you pay for, it's lovely. There are inexpensive food outlets near by just cross the road through the main doors follow it to the boat permenantly docked and around there is plenty of cheap but delicious chinese food places. I was there with my family so do not know anything about the nightlife but Taxis are queued up outside so Hong Kong is never far away at night either. If you want to be constantly in the thick of it then this probebly not for you but if you want an oasis away from the hustle and bustle it's perfect. I will certainly return to this hotel in a heatbeat.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Beijing
Reviewed June 6, 2010

The Hotel has fantastic sea view rooms if you are willing to pay more, otherwise you look into Wampoo district. Location of the Hotel is also very convinient as it is very close to Ferry terminal to Hong Kong Island. Wampoo city district is also close to where you find a lot of places to shop. Our first room has a little bit mold on the sealing but it was no problem to change the room immediately. All other facilities are nice and clean. Special remark to the pool on toop of the roof with perfect view to Hong Kong city.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Winnetka, IL
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I had the opportunity to stay at the Harbour Grand for five nights and had a great experience. I took advantage of a special offer they were running to upgrade to their Club Floor and I'm glad I paid the modest supplement to do so. The staff in the Club lounge were incredibly helpful and attentive and the value of the free breakfast, afternoon tea, wi-fi in my room and drinks in the evening more than offset the very modest extra charge. My room was spotless and quite large. The furniture and bed were very comfortable and the bathroom and amenities were great. The view of the harbour and Hong Kong Island from my room was spectacular.

The location in Whampoa Garden is a little off the beaten tourist path but the hotel offers a very convenient shuttle service to the heart of Kowloon with a stop at one of the subway stations. There is also a ferry terminal within a 2 minute walk of the hotel and it's not nearly as crazy as the Kowloon terminal. There are also cabs galore and I found that between the shuttle, the ferries and the cabs, I was able to get anywhere I wanted with little effort or expense.

In addition to eating breakfast at the Club lounge, I had dinner at the hotel's Chinese restaurant (they have several restaurants to choose from) and the food was fantastic. There are also lots of restaurant choices within an easy walk from this hotel - everything from global chains to some really interesting local restaurants.

The rooftop pool/bar was great. You get a nice view of Hong Kong and it's a great place to relax after a day of sight seeing (or recovering from jet lag). The space is large enough that it's possible to get some peace and quiet even if there are kids in the pool.

As a final point of comparison, my brother-in-law was staying on Nathan Road in the heart of Kowloon's tourist district in one of the big American brand name hotels while I was at the Harbour Grand. He came and visited the Harbour Grand and declared there was no comparison -- my hotel was in better shape, offered a bigger room with better amenities, was less expensive and had a great view (versus his view of some remarkably ugly high-rise). Even though the HG is a bit further from the center of things, he said he would stay there during his future stays in HKG.

I have stayed at some pretty spectacular hotels in Europe and North America and I would definitely add the HG to my list of favorites.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Canucklleheads
Venice, Italy
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Just arrived from Europe. Room appears to be large when compared to European hotels. Hotel lobby is large with welcome staff. We had harbour facing room, and has magnificent view of the Hong Kong. The swimming pool is on the top floor and looks great.

The downside is rather expansive for price, given its location is not in tourist district. I believe there may be shuttle bus service available to Tsim Sha Tsui. But I have never used it. There is nearby ferry service to Hong Kong Central.

Please note that meals are expansive in the hotel ( $ HK 270 for buffet breakfast and $ HK 420 for buffet dinner ). I don't eat very much, and cannot see much point. There are lots of local restaurants and cost significantly less. Internet is not free and costs quite a bit as well. So watch out.

My air conditioner did not work the first night. They offered to find an engineer to fix it. It was already 11 pm, so I declined. The hotel fixed the air conditioning next morning, and was fine after.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2010

This hotel is located in the shopping Whampoa Garden district. Beautiful at night and morning outside as it is located right on the waterfront.

Very quiet rooms as we did not hear road nor other patron noise.

The only drawback is that it did not have an ironing board or iron available in the rooms. Room were small but were clean.

Bedding was also clean and beds were comfortable to sleep in.

The breakfast buffet was average with choices of limited dumplings, western cuisine, eggs, and pancakes.

If you are just passing through, this hotel would be a good one to stay. For extended stays, I would recommend others that are more closer to the shopping and sight seeing districts. The hotel did have shuttles to certain places but the hotel needs to include a route map (not just the shuttle times) to help guest out on where it goes.

• Stayed May 2010
Durham
Reviewed May 25, 2010

This is a first rate hotel in a good location with great views over the Harbour.
The train from the airport is clean efficient and quick with a courtesy bus to the hotel.

The food is very good and the staff cannot be faulted. Their is a regular courtesy shuttle to Kowloon and the nearby ferry links to Hong Kong.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple