“Hard Beds”

The Wharney Guang Dong Hotel Hong Kong
Ranked #502 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is the third time I have stayed in this hotel, the location is good, hotel clean but the beds are so uncomfortable and rock hard. The seating area in reception was closed the two nights we stayed, which when you are arranging to meet in the lobby this is not acceptable. I dont think we will be staying here again there are better options in Wanchai

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The title says it all.
Superior size room for 2 people: room size was enough.
Cosy feel.
Clean & acceptably furbished.
Staff service was fine.
Not noisy despite being in town centre.
Convenient for sight-seeing as well as night life and shopping.
I might go back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I'm was very disappointed that we're were not told until we arrived the
were maintenance going on in the building I could not find anywhere on the website stating there was maintenance going on .

When I arrived I said to the girl at reception I / we are staying for
four (4) night for the rugby 7's Why would we be leaving on Sunday if it's the last day of the rugby !

I know the Rugby 7's is on but the Price for a small Deluxe room was too
expensive I stayed with the Wharney last year 16/03/2012 you can check previous
records and I stayed in the Executive room the price was $1,600-1800HKD)

I hope you don't like to sleep the noise from street level goes till about 5 am Fri to Monday.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went directly to their website to make a reservation. The website froze after I put in my information. So I gave up and made a reservation in a hotel nearby. They charged me over $300 anyway, despite the fact that a reservation was never made and of course never was an email sent to confirm my reservation. I complained to them. They don't care. I complained to my bank. The hotel responded by sending my bank documents showing their cancelation policies and saying I should show I canceled, so now I have to respond to that nonsense. I challenged them to show the reservation email confirmation. They ignore that. How can I cancel a reservation they never told me about??? So buyer beware

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank William B
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here in aug 2012 and from start to finish it was a horrible experience we were made feel unwelcome although between the 8 of us staying there for 2 weeks 2 triple rooms and one Executive Room we were bringing in good business. the first room i had was horrible and full of the smell of stale smoke which is not the nicest smell for a non smoker when called down to change rooms it was an effort for the reception staff to help , the security guards are the most unfriendly and horrible people , i have never heard of a hotel demanding their guests that they either need to wait outside on the street or in their rooms while waiting for the rest of there group especially when you are sitting on a bench not making any noise. as for the pool ugh wouldnt put baby toe into it .... i could go on and on about many more problems over the two weeks but i would need a novel the only good thing going for this hotel is that it is situated in a great central location but that is it.

Room Tip: if after all the bad reviews on this place you still book the only room advice i could give is pay...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed there for twice, once in Feb 2012 and once just 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately we've quite been disappointed this time. We have specifically booked a non-smoking twin-bed room which has been confirmed by the local travel agent. However when we checked-in and took the lift to our floor we immediately realized that it wasn't a non-smoking floor and the corridor was smelly, and when we entered the room it was even more smelly than the corridor!! Since we were in a hurry going out for something more important we chose not to change the room.
The location was potentially good. Very convenient public transport including a less than 3-minute walk to MTR Wan Chai C entrance/exit. Various dining options as local restaurants all around the place. The only concern was the sex shops nearby, or to be honest this area was just famous for that sort of service. Late in the night there were drunk people screaming in the street and it was a bit scared.
Generally I would say it offerred a reasonable price with a convenient location but I will consider another

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is my 5th trip to Hongkong for shopping. I have always stayed elsewhere but since there were 3 adults on this trip, this is the only hotel I can find that has a proper triple room. Or so I thought. When we checked in they placed a rollaway bed in a twin room! There was practically no space in between beds to get in out of. I complained as it wasn't the room pictured in the room photo that had 3 beds. They moved us the following day. The room is old but functional and the beds were rock solid. So if you are after just a place to sleep then this place will do. 2 minutes from Wanchai MTR which was great! Even when we had bags and bags of shopping no worries. Just as a warning, this hotel is very close to the seedy red light district. If will pass a dozen of bars with a number of unsavory characters from the train station if you return from about 6pm onwards.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends