“Stench makes staying in room unbearable” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Regal Riverside Hotel

Regal Riverside Hotel
Ranked #154 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Stench makes staying in room unbearable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife left her newly bought jacket on checking out on April 11th. We're delighted to be able to get it back on September 12th. Heartfelt thanks to lost and found!

The room 1388 checked in on September 11th needs attention on the following:
1.. English newspaper was given, though Chinese had been requested on checking in. This occurred on our last trip, and highlighted in writing to the FO Manager on our last trip.

2.. The sink stopper malfunctions. Water can't be held.

3.. The sliding door of the closet/cupboard keeps "derailed" from its track.

4.. Smelly stench is blown into the bathroom by the exhaust fan from the ventilating duct. We suspect leakage from the pipe of toilet bowls above.

A maintenance staff simply lowered the fan speed. This, however, fails to stop the stench. The room should be blocked to settle the problem once and for all, so guests won't have to endure the stench while staying in the room.

We like Regal Riverside Hotel for rooms with much space left fitting a super-kingsized bed laid with comfortable, high-quality American branded Simmons mattress, free internet access and airport transfer for reservations made and paid in advance. Attention must be paid on maintenance otherwise guest comfort is compromised.

Room Tip: The smelly stench appeared to come from drain pipes (of toilet bowls?) of rooms above. We wonder if...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank freetraveltips
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear freetraveltips: Thank you very much for choosing Regal Riverside Hotel and sharing your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to learn that our Housekeeping was able to retain your jacket and returned to you in good order. Your constructive comments regarding our services as well as room furbishing are well noted. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeper and Engineer who are reminded to pay more attention on room cleaning and maintenance, and ensure all rooms assigning to guest are in top notch condition. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused and rest assured that immediate actions will be taken to rectify the problem.

Trusted the bad smell was an isolated incident. We look forward to having you back with us in the near future.

Peter Chiu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed there for two nights.

Most hotels in the world do charge a fee for wifi service in the room but offer free service in the lobby. This hotel claimed that they offer free wifi service in the lobby, with a limit of 30 minutes in every 12 hours. This is not the worst part. The worst part is that if you use the wifi service for only 15 minutes, don't think that you still have 15 minutes to use within the 12-hour limit. Sorry, no more service will be provided and you have to wait until the next 12-hour. I don't understand how can they be so mean on this.

As other reviews disclosed, this hotel caters mainly tour groups from Mainland China and so sometimes the hallway or lobby can be extremely noisy and crowded.

Another thing I would like to mention is about the attitude of their staff.

I bought a bread in the Regal Patisserie in the afternoon. I was the only customer. I did not realise that this is self service until the lady told me that I have to put the bread in the paper bag by myself. It's OK for me but unfortunately my hand lack the dexterity to open the paper bag. The lady just watched me and offered no intention to help until I requested for her assistance. She had an indifferent attitude all through the process, a rare situation one will encounter in a tourist hotel.

Overall speaking, I cannot say this hotel offers poor service. Perhaps the hotel is too comfortable with its prevailing business volume or may be the staff are too tired in serving the mainland Chinese customers. Staff in the hotel, especially those in lobby, give me a feeling that they do offer efficient service but in lack of smile, caring and tenderness.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Dusty747
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Dusty747: Thank you very much for choosing Regal Riverside Hotel and sharing your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We were sorry to learn of the unpleasant experience you have encountered at our Patisserie, our Food and Beverage Manager has investigated the incident and briefed our team of the importance of customer service and our guests are entitled to every courtesy.

With regard to the free Wifi, you may wish to check on our hotel’s website for good offerings for your next visit so that you can enjoy free in-room WiFi, airport shuttle and many other privileges.

Thank you again for your support and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This IS an average hotel but I would say it provided us with good service and a good room for our 3 night stay. We were using the hotel for a place to stay while we arranged our move out of our nearby flat. We received excellent service from the charming receptionist who gave us a lovely family room with 2 double beds overlooking the river. I'd booked through hotel.com who offered an early bird special deal and had to opt for 4 single beds in the family room but I pointed out to the receptionist that there were now only 3 in our party she revised the booking. On leaving a staff member helped us beat the long queue and provided a personal express service. This is a very busy hotel catering mainly for mainlanders. It is reasonably convenient for Sha Tin's overcrowded New Town Plaza shopping mall.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a riverside room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Seacroft
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Seacroft: Thank you very much for choosing Regal Riverside Hotel and sharing your positive feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us and you found our staff helpful. Positive comments such as yours are certainly a driving force for continuous improvement to exceed our quality standards.

Thank you once again for your valuable comments and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

this used to be a pretty good hotel but watching it turned into a tour and travel hotel for the past few years, i just dont know if i wanted to be back. the front desk is inundate with check ins and check outs and at times, way understaffed.

however, the housekeeping department still are in sync and doing great job in turning over the rooms. they are helpful and very timely, the rooms are very clean. kudos!

in short, if you do not mind standing in line for checking in and checking out ... this is a pretty gold hotel and it is centrally located in a some great malls and parks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear jim I: Thank you very much for your support and sharing your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to learn that in general our services including the housekeeping met with your expectations. Your constructive comment on the check in and check out procedures is well noted. We think part of the reasons for the longer wait is that we actually have less group tours but much more independent travelers like your goodself. We will certainly review our operational measures and immediate actions will be taken for appropriate improvement. Meanwhile, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Rest assured that customer service is always our prime concern and we treasure your goodwill.

Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel is quite nice for a few days' stay in Hongkong. Better than hotels in center of Kowloon, but going anywhere is a bit of a trouble. MTR is walkable, but not too near, bus station is closer. Food is available outside, there is a supermarket and Watsons store. Rooms is hotel are big and clean, though somewhat old. Lack of free wifi is disappointing. Overall, not bad, but there are better options almost for the same price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Arjuna93: Thank you very much for choosing Regal Riverside Hotel during your recent visit to Hong Kong and sharing your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We are very pleased to learn that in general our services were to your expectations and you liked our room furbishing. We have many types of rooms and you may wish to check on our hotel’s website for good offerings for your next visit so that you can enjoy free WiFi and many other privileges.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and we look forward to your future stay at Regal Riverside Hotel.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

At around 10:00 hrs. On 26 Aug. 2013. I went to the Cakes Shop to pick up two boxes moon cakes from my room on 14th floor.. I purchased the cakes coupons during my last stay in this hotel when I dined in the Chinese restaurant. It was a lovely morning but my day was ruined by the lady at the cakes shop.
I approached the shop and noticed a lady was opening the shop. I said, "Excuse me, may I have my boxes of moon cakes please." She gave me an angry look without saying a word she kept on minding her own business. I thought she would entertain me as soon as she would finish her business but I stood there for ten minutes hopelessly I asked her again for my Moon cakes she angrily picked up two boxes from the drawers without saying a word. No explanations or apologies were given. I picked my cakes and left disappointingly. I never understood why a fine hotel like this would have a staff like this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lau A
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Lau A: First of all, thank you very much for your support to Regal Riverside Hotel and sharing your valuable comments with us.

We were disheartened to learn of the unpleasant experience you have encountered at our Patisserie. I can fully appreciate the frustration and we would like to sincerely apologize for such unacceptable behavior. We are taking your comment very seriously and our Food and Beverage Manager is to remind his team of the importance of customer service and necessities true professionalism at all times.

We once again thank you for your continuous support and we treasure your goodwill.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Airport shuttle good service but long and complicated walk to sister hotel to catch the bus.
1st room given had a massive crack in the mirror wardrobe which had a strip of tape to secure it. Not acceptable. Got moved to another room with no apology. New room - large with good view.
Hotel very busy and although the concierge are very good at sharing local knowledge etc, I feel the staff lack giving that warm welcome and personal service.
The location is ok if you don't mind getting on busses or getting taxis. I would have preferred somewhere more central and walking distance to more shops and restaurants.
Disappointed to find pool is in shade after 4pm.
Main restaurant for breakfast really overpriced.
We over slept on our last morning and mistakenly left items in the room. After contacting them to post items on they have advised that they have not found our items which is odd.
Overall good value for what we paid but think I would pay a bit more for an alternative hotel.

Room Tip: Riverside view a must.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Liana V
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Liana V: Thank you very much for staying at Regal Riverside Hotel during your recent visit to Hong Kong and posting your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We apologize for the negligence on room assignment but glad to learn that our associates have arranged room change immediately that was to your satisfaction. Thanks to the great supports from our guests, which enable us to become one of the most popular hotels in the district. Our Front Desk area can get congested at times, however, our Front Office Manager is reminded to brief his staff that our guests are entitled to every courtesy.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and we apologize for any inconvenience may have caused. The entire staff and management look forward to welcoming you back soon.