“Classy place with a great location”

Regal Hongkong Hotel
Ranked #120 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I dont usually pay as much as I did for a hotel, but Hong Kong is expensive and this hotel has a tremendous location. Just minutes from the Causeway Bay exit of the MTR. The room had all the comforts one could ask for. We didn't use the dining facilities, so I cannot describe them. The staff is well trained and pleasant. My only complaints are: 1. There is one plug (in the bathroom) to charge any appliance. 2. The minibar is so outrageously priced, that you would be a loon to use it (there is a 7-11 almost across the street that is open 24 hrs). Otherwise, a very comfortable room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EMS52
Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I went to this hotel given the location and the fact that it had a pool. July in HK is very hot and this won me over. Given it was a business trip, it was paid in full by my company upfront once the booking was made on a hotel booking site. When I got to the hotel, I was told that the payment was not received (despite the booking confirmation stating the opposite). They would not accept this booking confirmation, so as a compromise they put my card down as a security in case the payment never came through.

Once I got to the room, I found that they had given me a twin room, rather than the double promised by them. Everything was over-extravagant for a regular hotel, featuring heavy gold trim on everything, rather large and hideous art works on every wall of the room. The TV was poor quality and there were even foot print stains on the toilet seat? The musky smell lingered in the room the whole week I was there and everything felt over-the-top.

My company confirmed their payment to the hotel and nothing further was heard from the hotel until one night. At 11:55pm just before I was about to fall asleep after an incredibly long day I was awoken to a phone call. Given the time of the call I could only assume the worst (family emergency). It simply turned out to be the front desk demanding I pay for my hotel room. This made me furious as I had to be at work at 7am the next morning. After not being able to sleep all night I went down to the front desk to ask why they felt the need to call me just before midnight. The person there looked dumbfounded and couldn't explain anything.

After returning to the hotel late at night (2am) I tried to get into my room to find that my key card was no longer working. I went downstairs to get this fixed, however I was demanded to pay for the hotel room, again! I requested to speak to the manager who would not provide anything but a poor explanation as to why I have to pay for the hotel room, despite it already being paid for. Being incredibly annoyed by this, he said I had to pay for the room on the spot, or the police would be called. Concerned about spending USD $1,000 in one hit I eventually gave up on arguing with idiocy and gave them my card to put the payment through. They reactivated my card and that was it... until I checked out on the Saturday.

I had to give them my card again to pay!

Apart from the service, the elevators are incredibly slow to show up, however the pool has a decent view. What was fashionable in the 1980's is certainly not fashionable now. This hotel is in dire need of a face lift and a do over.

I had to bring this to the public's attention and warn them to not waste your money staying at such a poorly serviced hotel.
I moved hotels to the Holiday Inn Express, half the price yet twice as friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank rocky82
Reviewed August 6, 2013

(1) Location: Excellent - probably, the prime selling point for this hotel. Less than 5 minutes' walk to Times Square, Causeway Bay Grand Sogo and MTR Station. The tram stopped exactly in front of the hotel.

(2) Room: We were lucky as the hotel was just refurbished months before our arrival. We were upgraded to a deluxe room. I liked the lighting in the room - the natural light gave a cheerful tone to the room. The room size was good for a hotel located at Hong Kong Island. We still had quite some space after adding in the extra bed. The bathroom was clean and surprisingly, with a small bathtub and separate shower.

(3) Value: Hotel rates in Hong Kong are on the high-side generally. For a 5-star hotel located at Causeway Bay - the price was reasonable although I would say the hotel was probably closer to a 4-star in comparison with other 5-star hotels in Hong Kong.

(4) Service: The housekeeping was friendly and responsive. Minor glitches on front desk- they failed to register us for the free airport shuttle to the airport which was offered as part of the room package. We had earlier confirmed our airport shuttle service (with time and session selected) in our booking on the hotel's official website. As a result, we could not get into the shuttle on the time selected but reluctantly settled with the earlier shuttle which resulted in us arriving at airport 4 hours in advance of our flights.

The explanation provided by front desk requiring us to make additional physical booking/confirmation at the hotel front-desk for the airport shuttle was hardly satisfactory. The hotel should either improve on their co-ordination with reservation office or at least inform the guests of the need to confirm with front desk on their website. Otherwise, it would be misleading as how it happened to us. To give credit to the hotel staffs, the front desk manager on duty that did apologise to us profusely and had put in his best efforts to mitigate this unpleasant event.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank primusprimus
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Location. It is near the MTR Causeway Bay station, probably a 5-minute walk from the hotel. It is also walking distance to SOGO where you can shop but prices are still higher than CityGate in Tung Chung.

Food. Not too many selections but food is not that bad. I asked for hot cocoa every morning and they always have it ready for me.

Room. Just perfect, no complaints.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Made a wrong booking here, and called immediately to sort out the problem, but the hotel was completely unhelpful and charged the full amount for the booking -- a complete absence of goodwill or friendliness shown and a real disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank CroatiaGuide-writer
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Loved the experience at the Regal Hong Kong, nothing went wrong and they delivered on everything said they would! Can't ask for much more than that.

I stayed at the Club Executive Lounge which is great value and great service. You get high floor, free breakfast and free cocktails/dinner and exclusive checkin/out.

Service is excellent though a little impesonalised but the do everything you could ask and are very polite.

Room and hotel reminds me of the Great Gatsby film with Leonard DiCaprio that has just come out, all mirrors and gothic! Bling is the key and the mirrors are disconcerting when you walk out onto the main floor but very cool in the bedroom, gives the impression of more space and works.

Great location in Causeway Bay, easy to shop, eat out and get MTR to airport.

Gym is very good, not cramped like many are, spacious and I was the only one using it both mornings.

Food is fine, bedroom space is ample...i literally can't think of a bad word to say about any of it, it's fantastic! Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Executive Club Rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ChrisJR2013
Reviewed July 31, 2013

a very smart and helpful staff ready to lend her time when you needed it most!!!..as i was trying to reserve my seats for our flight back via Cathay Pacific.....my free wifi ran out...but Ms. Mon Chow incidentally lend her time and did the reservation...what a big help!!!....not all hotel staff in hongkong do these kind of stuff......i highly recommend REGAL hotel......reasonable price and strategic in location....

Room Tip: End rooms are more roomy..........
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family