“So much potential, but a dissapointment”

Regal Airport Hotel
Ranked #102 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Perth, AUS
“So much potential, but a dissapointment”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

This airport hotel in Hong Kong is very conveniently located, jut a short walk from the arrivals hall. The decor and room layout is excellent. However it's the little things that let you down. In order to get internet access, I had to call the front desk, then go down to the front desk to rescan my credit card, then it still wouldn't work. I tried getting through to the front desk for over an hour till I finally got through to someone who reset my password and I finally got in. Also the room service took about an hour to arrive. Granted they were probably busy due to the delay of a Cathay flight that we were all on, but I might as well have just stayed in the Cathay first class lounge where I could have showered and had free food and internet anyway. Having said that, the staff are friendly and the bedding and room wqas spacious. I was givene a smoking room as that is all they had left, but it actually didn't smell at all. I would not hesitate to stay here in the future, but will plan around some of the small inconveniences.

Room Tip: Use te airport internet as this one is hit and miss and a bit of a rip off.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
RAH_HK, General Manager at Regal Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2011

Thank you for staying at the Regal Airport Hotel.

We appreciate your compliments regarding our clean and spacious rooms and our convenient location. It was a pleasure to learn that your overall experience was enjoyable.

Regarding your comment about internet access in our rooms, we are pleased to inform you that access will be granted immediately, provided we are in possession of a payment guarantee such as a deposit or a credit card charge authorization.

We apologize for the delay in your room service as a result of a sizable layover, which impacted our delivery time. It usually takes only 20 – 25 minutes to serve in-room meals.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our multi-award winning hotel soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. First night in a standard room and the second night in a superior room. Decor and room size in both rooms are pretty much the same except you get to stay on a higher level if you book a superior/deluxe room. The beds in my standard room was very uncomfortable as I could feel the coils in the mattress. My back was so sore that I had to swim the next morning. Lucky this hotel has an indoor and outdoor swimming pool which I had to use. The beds in the superior room are way more comfortable. This hotel offers a free shuttle to the Citygate Outlets where brands such as Burberry, Coach, etc. are at reduced prices. Great retail therapy. We prefer a quiet room and was given a room at the end of the corridor which you would expect to be quiet. However this room faced the runway and you could hear the plane engines go off.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at the Regal Airport Hotel.

We were pleased to read your positive feedback regarding our indoor and outdoor swimming pools, but are concerned about your assessment of our mattress standards.

We would like to inform you that all our rooms are equipped with high quality branded mattresses such as Simmons, Slumberland and Airland. In fact, we also offer a pillow and mattress menu to provide our guests with a further choice.

As part of our ongoing replacement standards, you will also be pleased to know that we are in the process of purchasing additional mattresses for our superior rooms. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during your recent stay with us.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our multi-award winning hotel again soon!

Hacienda Heights, California
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Great location to terminal 1. Easy inside walk to/from the airport. It was my first time to Hong Kong and I used it as a layover hotel since I arrived late into Hong Kong and didn't want to figure out how to get into the city late at night. If you don't want to eat on the hotel premises, you can always walk back to the airport for the several fast food places there. The room was clean and quiet. Staff was wonderfully nice and helpful and speaking english was not a problem. Getting over to Hong Kong island takes about half an hour and $100HK so this place is not good to be your base for a holiday.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending the Regal Airport Hotel.

We appreciate your compliments regarding our clean and quiet rooms, helpful staff and unparalleled location. It was certainly a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to have the pleasure of soon welcoming you back to our multi-award winning hotel.

singapore
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Due to flight CX690/1OCT11 from Singapore to Hong Kong was delay, I misconnect my flight KA850
from Hong Kong to Wuhan. I was met on arrival by CX staff was told I hev to stay overnight in Hong Kong
as the next availabe flight is 2OCT departing 0850. Was given a hotel voucher for the layover at Regal
Airoprt Hotel. When checking-in, I request for a non-smoking, high floor room.
I was shocked to be told by the receptionist, "this is a free room".
I am guest and a customer, am I wrong to request ?
And anyway, this is not free, Cathay Pacific Airway is paying for it due to their flight delay.
And when asked her about the phone call that I was told by CX that I can have 15 minutes in the room.
Again she say no. After checking with one of her colleague, she say 3 minutes...
When I went to the restaurent for dinner, no hotess to seat me..have to find my own table.
Most of the table was uncleared. I managed to find a clean table with setting.
It was a buffet style dinner. The food was okay. When I ask for a pair of scissor for cutting the
alaskan crab leg, I was told there is no more scissors. OMG you mean the scissors is all
used and throw type. They can't wash it?
Is this the kind of service that was rated by Skytrax as one of the top hotel ?
Maybe 5 stars rating with 2 stars service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We were sorry to learn about your misconnected flight as a result of a delay from Singapore to Hong Kong.

We apologize for not having been able to comply with your request for a non-smoking room on a high floor upon check in due to high business levels. We therefore encourage our guests to inform us of their preferences in advance.

Regarding your request for telephone calls, we are pleased to inform you that Cathay Pacific has instructed us to offer complimentary calls up to a duration of 3 minutes per guest room.

We have noted your comments about our service in one of our restaurants, which certainly did not reflect our usual high standards and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We do hope that you will consider staying with us again on another, more pleasant, occasion.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 14, 2011

After complaining for the 4th time about plumbing noise and bangs... above my bed I was finally told they have the hotel's lounge's kitchen above my room so you could hear the staff operating the kitchen's washing machne etc. all evening. After calling the reception 4 times I was told they cannot "control" what the staff does in the lounge...after the 5th call and couple of hours in total they asked me to change room when I wanted to avoid he noise, which I did.

Overall a huge an boring airport hotel which is is greatly situated when you need to be by the aiport or the local convention center...

Room Tip: Avoid 1025, the upper floor i.e. 12h floor was just fine....
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank foolfin

Thank you for staying at the Regal Airport Hotel.

Whilst we were pleased to read your positive rating regarding our location, we have taken note of your comment related to noise and wish to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

In order to discuss your experience with us in more detail, we would like to invite you to contact us at rah.info@regalhotel.com.

We thank you for sharing your experience with us and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Regal airport Hong Kong is maybe the cost convenient airport hotel in the world within only 5 minutes of walk once you clear customs formalities.
We spent one night for transit back to Beijing, and think it's a good choice when transiting in HK. The room is very spacious with extra large king size bed, easy to accommodate up to 2 adults and one child. We tried the open air swimming pool before taking our connection flight. It should be the biggest hotel pool in the city.
The room is very quiet despite it's airport location, so no worries on the sleeping quality.
Check in and check out are quick. Staffs at the gym and bar are very helpful.
The only down side of the room is it smells a little bit too much air fresher or detergent... when we first walked into the room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GuaguaBeijing

Thank you for staying at the Regal Airport Hotel.

We were delighted to learn about your pleasant stay and your appreciation of our location, room and bed size as well as our 25 meter long swimming pool.

We have taken note of your preference to reduce our air fresher treatment in your room and will be delighted to comply with your request upon your next stay with us. For this purpose, kindly furnish us with your name and contact details at rah.info@regalhotel.com.

Whilst thanking you for your time to comment on our services, we sincerely hope that you will stay with us again soon.

melbourne
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I would like to start off my shpiel by telling you that this hotel is ideal if you are transiting between flights. However, I do not recommend this hotel if you intend on holidaying in Hong Kong/ Kawloon for several days as this hotel is a bit far out. The purpose of my trip to Hong Kong was an 8 hour transit between Australia and the Middle East. I recommend going out and seeing Hong Kong rather than constantly yawning and becoming agitated while waiting it out at the airport terminal.

Location: I loved the location. As mentioned in a million other reviews, this hotel is the only airport hotel attached to the airport. To get there, all you have to do is get your passport stamped out (no visa required as I am an Australian citizen) and turn right before reaching the airport exit. Voila! You’re there. Too easy! Concierge will greet and you and take your bags/ laundry at the entrance if you wish. Now for a quick geography lessons…I have learnt that Hong Kong comprises of 3 islands: Hong Kong island, Kowloon and the other one ( where the hotel/ airport are- a name I cannot remember). There was hardly any good shopping on the island where the airport was, so I paid $20 and took a 24 minute train ride down to Kowloon. Kowloon has an awesome shopping centre at the train station called ‘Elements’. It’s super modern, clean and almost palatial. Here you will be able to shop up big at amazing prices at shops such as DKNY, Zara, H&M, Armani, Keils, etc. The clothing stock here is the same as the rest of Europe, however, I argue that it is a bit cheaper here. Hong Kong Island has many more shops, however, my appetite for shopping was satisfied by going to Kowloon alone. Exchange rate: $7.5 Hong Kong Dollars= $1 Australian dollar. Awesome conversation rate!

Hotel foyer: sparkling granite floors, colourful inviting lobby and friendly staff. Stunning! The hotel and service truly live up to the 5-star title awarded to this hotel. There are 2 shops in the foyer with cute souvenirs and they aren’t expensive. There is also a day spa called the ‘Omni Spa’. I did not use the day spa as I did not have time. There are also several restaurants/ cafes attached to the foyer. I ate breakfast at the main restaurant, which offered a massive buffet. Breakfast is usually$30 per person or $20 for a child (if it is not included in your room rate). The foyer also boasts some gorgeous water fountains, washing away any feelings of being in an airport.

Hotel room: I go a walk in rate for a suite for $250. You can book the hotel online, however, I was no able to book it in for the hours I wanted. I needed the hotel from 6am- 2pm. Online, it was a standard 24 hour reservation (check in 2pm, check out 12am). Don’t be alarmed. You can show up on the day and get a room for the hours you need. The hotel has nearly 2000 rooms, so chances are, there will be an available one. My suite consisted of 1.5 bathrooms, spate living area and a separate sleep area. Sheets were crisp white. Sparkly black granite bathrooms, both stocked with complementary water bottles, slippers, shampoo, hair comb, soaps, watch wash but NO CONDITIONER! In the end, all I needed was a nice hot shower, a quick shloof (quick sleep) and then a fresh pair of clothes so I could go shopping. After shopping in the moist hot heat, I then returned back to the hotel had a shower and boarded my plane. Too easy!

Conclusion: seriously, if you’re in Hong Kong airport for more than 5 hours, get a room, have a shower, a quick sleep and go on the plane refreshed. It will held you get over your jet lag and allow you to get off at your destination feeling energized. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Book on arrival inf your transit hours are odd. In my case, my 6am-2pm break did not fit the standar...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lelise20
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending the Regal Airport Hotel.

It was rewarding to read that we have lived up to the 5-star standards you expected from our hotel. We shall endeavor to strive for product and service improvements to ensure we continue to be awarded the best airport hotel in the world.

Whilst our location is unparalleled, especially for guests with a short length of stay, we also receive good feedback from our longer staying guests in regards to nearby shopping facilities. Most popular is the City Gate Shopping Centre, which can be reached via our hotel shuttle bus within a few minutes. In addition, a wide variety of shops are available within walking distance at the airport terminals.

We agree with your expectation of a conditioner in the bathroom, which is our usual standard and apologize for the oversight.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you to our hotel in the near future.