“Great place to stay”

Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #14 of 730 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed here in December for 3 nights.Great place with friendly staff and good food in the Italian restaurant.They looked after us for our Wedding Anniversary and we enjoyed the Tapas Bar,on a few occasions!!Also close to some good eateries and bars+coffee houses for breakfast

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
KowloonShangrilaMGMT, General Manager at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear edgolf, thank you for sharing this gracious piece of feedback on Kowloon Shangri-La. We were pleased to hear that you had a wonderful Wedding Anniversary with us and you were satisfied with our culinary services. We hope to see you again in the near future. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,764)

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I just stayed at KSL for the 3rd time in as many years. Best business hotel in the area. Staff extremely attentive and helpful. Food prices a bit high, but the quality of the food fantastic. Staff is extremely attentive. Location is great

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank Mark E

Dear Mark E, it’s a pleasure to take care of you and thank you for your wonderful feedback. We were thrilled that you have rated us as the best in town and we will continue to strive for excellence. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We arranged to meet business friends in the Lounge bar at this hotel, as a treat. Unfortunately, it didn't turn our like that. Firstly, the Lounge Bar was nearly empty but there was no one to show us to any seating, then the few waitresses that were around ignored us, so we found a table and still ignored. . My husband had to go look for one to ask for a drinks menu . A very limited choice of drinks available, which I didn't expect for this class of hotel, when I asked for a "bloody Mary" it came totally wrong. After the first round of drinks we decided to have another round but same problem trying to catch the eye of the waitress, the Lounge Bar was nearly empty so no excuse for not doing their job. When we ordered the next round, instead of writing it down, as there were six drinks to bring, she didn't so we only received four, then she walked off so we thought the other two were on their way, no , we had to go find her. For first class hotel I was disappointed when your bill is that large you expect service of a high standard. We had thought we would book for Dinner sometime in the future, I am sorry but no My husband and two of our guests travel extensively on business in Asia and standards like this are not acceptable

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank marie j
KowloonShangrilaMGMT, General Manager at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear marie j, thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. I am most concerned to hear about the insufficient service at the Lobby Lounge and the selection of drinks that didn’t meet with your satisfaction. Our Director of Food and Beverage is looking into this and will do everything possible to ensure our guest’s satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager

Reviewed January 12, 2014

On an eight day stay in Hong Kong for the Christmas and New Year holiday we decided to book two standard king rooms with breakfast in this hotel. Thinking that a five star Shangri-La could do us no wrong.

Firstly, we booked one smoking room and one non-smoking room. On arrival only non-smoking rooms were available and we were offered an alternative smoking room the next day which we accepted. Since this was booked in May 2013, thought this was a bit poor.
The rooms are well furnished and were kept very clean throughout our stay, the view from my room was looking directly onto an office block (thank goodness for curtains). The first night I was woken at 2am with noise from the street. (I was on the tenth floor so didn't expect too much noise) It was a garbage truck collecting the hotel waste, which lasted for two hours. I then realised there was a service entrance in the south west corner of the hotel which I was directly above. Thinking this was a one off I didn't say anything.

In the morning we met for breakfast in Café Kool. The restaurant had an excellent selection on offer; however when it came to service things went downhill. If you eat in café Kool using cutlery be prepared to use one set throughout the whole of your breakfast with staff taking your used plates away and then replacing your used fork and knife back on the table. Sick!

That evening we decided to sample the Lobby Lounge as it wasn’t too busy. After sitting for about ten minutes we were finally approached by one of the waitresses. We only had a couple of rounds before admitting defeat to the droning sound of the wrongly categorised “Live Entertainment” trying to impersonate Barry White with an out of tune clarinet.

Feeling tired I thought this night I would get a good sleep. Again at 2am the garbage truck was back. I went down to reception to complain. I was told “sorry” (a world you will hear a lot in this hotel) and offered an alternative room which I took. I was moving into the same type of room but with two single beds not king. The next day I realised I had been moved in-between two rooms where one family were staying. That night (11pm to be exact) this family decided to let their children play in the lobby until 1am. Getting a bit annoyed due to the fact I had not slept properly since arriving I went down to reception to express my opinion at this problem and again was told “sorry, is it okay if we move you?” Instead of the hotel staff contacting the family to solve the problem it was easier for them to move me again. My new room was the same as last, still no king size bed.

As for the other party one being a smoker, this hotel only offers one location outside the room to smoke. This is at the front door where there is plenty of staff. However be prepared to be annoyed by beggars asking for money and going through the bins for scraps. Again not something I would expect to see in this kind of hotel, but when the staff can’t even hold open a door for you it’s not too surprising as they don’t care.

On the last day we asked for a late check-out of 4pm as oppose to 12pm. We were told 2pm was the latest or we would have to pay for an extra night. I don’t think so.

Overall, service is very bad. Rooms are nice but expect noise and take a set of ear plugs with you if you intend sitting for a drink in the lobby lounge.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the south west corner of the building
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SRWH

Dear SRWH, thank you for choosing the Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel for your recent visit. I was pleased to hear of your positive comments on our room cleanliness and breakfast selection, but I was most perturbed to learn of your unpleasant experience whilst staying with us. I appreciate how annoying it was not to have a good night’s sleep. Thank you for sharing your comments and observations with us, and please rest assured they have been addressed with the Management concerned. Your constructive criticism is very much appreciated and certainly does assist us in maintaining the standards we require and your are entitled to expect. We trust that you will provide us with the opportunity to redeem ourselves by returning to Kowloon Shangri-La in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact my office should you need any assistance with your room reservation. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is good chained hotel in good Kowloon location, everything is just out of the hotel entrance. But there is a lack of true luxury Shangri-La: crowd, busy, too many package tourists. The service was excellent, the room was nice. But, anyway, you can't feel yourself here as "front" business man or under the sky of luxury. Go for Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons instead.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexzhdanov
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I will start with what was a flawless pick up from the airport, our party of 5 was whisked away promptly in a beautiful Mercedes van, by Jesse who was extremely polite and courteous and very happy to chat to an excited overseas tourist!

We booked two rooms, one of which was the Harbour view Suite and the other a Horizon Harbour View Twin. On arrival, we were greeted by the resident manager, Linda Wan, with a bouquet of flowers for our tenth anniversary! We escorted upstairs by staff from the Horizon club and check in was in our room!

Breakfasts were amazing - both at the Horizon Club and at Cafe Kool. Service, food' you name it, the people do it. It was incredible.

We stayed for 9 days over the Christmas / New Year period and each day was a knockout for us. Have never been to HK before, it was a mind blowing experience and coming 'home' to the Shangri la was a JOY!

I must also mention that in addition to the room service menu, guests can also order from the Shang Palace menu for room service. This is brilliant if you have young children that can't stay out too late or if you really just want to relax.

From pick up to drop off this places ticks all the boxes and more. Please ask any questions - happy to help :)

Room Tip: The Harbour view rooms are wonderful and the Horizon club is ideal especially if your stay is extend...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank curlyfries76
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Firstly, the service of this hotel cannot be surpassed. Secondly, the decor is superior as well. The only reason I write "almost as good" was because our room this time was smaller than last time (booked same level room, for the same price) and also we didn't get 2 armchairs in our room as we did last time which was annoying if both of us wanted to sit and chat, eat, etc. Requests for a second armchair couldn't be fulfilled because the hotel was fully booked. This can probably be resolved with advance request and I would still stay here again because overall it's a fabulous property with great service and a great location.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple