“Great stay and wonderful room”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #13 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed on the 48th floor, peak view and loved the room with a King sized bed and of course the amenities. Personally, I prefer the peak view than Harbor View, as it is green and interesting to look at. Really couldn't find a thing to critic except it would have been great if they had Fox News & Fox Business, as well as the other news channels which they did have (CNN, Bloomberg & BBC). Al Jezeera is in Arabic and not English, unfortunately. I always love the welcome jasmine tea, piping hot and delicious.
The location is also wonderful coming out at Pacific Place in Admiralty for the MTR. The mall here is top luxury class and not crowded. This write-up by another person has nice photos of the room and interesting commentary ( http://eattraveleat.blogspot.com/2011/02/island-shangri-la-hong-kong-deluxe.html )

Room Tip: I prefer Peak View rather than harbor view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,117)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed with our two teenagers, and we all felt the hotel was too formal and over-done. The decor was loudly Asian. It wasn't a comfortable type of luxury. We went to China for a couple of days and then came back to Hong Kong, this time staying at the Langham. It was a much more comfortable experience than the Shangri-La.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 2stepsaheadofmyself
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stay here every time I come to Hong Kong - its position is ideal and the service is superb. Looks grand, but feels strangely intimate and like coming home. The rooms have everything you could need but it does not feel like a business hotel at all - though its business facilities are superb. I particularly like the quiet spa and swimming pool (such a contrast to the Intercontinental) where it is always easy to relax. Ate in Petrus on two evenings this stay - as well as in their award winning Chinese restaurant and all three meals were among the best I have ever had, without a doubt.
Club floor benefits are excellent and their small meeting room, which you can use for 2 hours per day, is one of the most spectacular I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Don't bother about paying extra for the harbour view - the novelty wears off and the peak view h...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The rooms are large, lovely, extremely comfortable, and with every convenience. And the location of the hotel is excellent. But what makes the Island Shangri-La really stand out is the quality of service. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, went out of his/her way to make sure that we were contented, that everything was going well, and even that we had planned some good sightseeing (or shopping) for the day. In our case, we were there just before Lunar New Year, and were it not for one of the reception staff, we wouldn't have known about the impressive pre-holiday flower market in Causeway Bay (a twenty minute walk from the hotel).

Whenever she saw us, the young woman who checked us in (wonderful Queenie Ho, a "red jacket girl," as she described her staff function) came out to talk to us, making sure that we were enjoying our stay. The concierge staff was equally terrific, cheerfully cancelling some dinner reservations that they had gone to some trouble to make for us in advance. (We discovered that the Chinese restaurant in the hotel (called The Summer Palace) was so good that we felt little need to eat elsewhere.)

In short, we hated to leave. Could there be a better recommendation than that?

Room Tip: If you care about view, spring for a harbor-view room; just looking out your window, day or night, i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Enjoyed an absolutely fantastic stay at this beautiful hotel. Everything was perfect upon arrival, from the warm greeting at the door, smooth check-in and welcome tea delivered immediately after settling into my room; the fantastic service continued throughout the stay. Spacious, comfortable, clean and classically decorated Peak view room with all the amenities and small touches expected at a 5* hotel. Large desk and work area with high speed internet access and a fax/printer in room. Beautiful lobby, common areas, atrium and the pool area is an urban oasis with a spectacular view of the Bank of China building. Breakfast buffet was incredible with seemingly endless choices. Location is right beside the beautiful Hong Kong park and a short walk (or taxi ride) to the Peak tram, Central or Wan Chai; also on top of the Pacific Place Mall and across the street from Queensway Plaza and Admiralty MTR station for easy access to other areas of this incredible city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2013

From the moment you arrive, the staff at Shangri'La make you feel so special. The facilities are beautiful. Our first night there, we were tired and hungry and the people in the Tai restaurant by the pool got our delicious food out to us so quickly. It was delicious. The gym and pool facilities were great. Their car service to the airport, very nice. Employees who gave us their number in case we needed anything or got lost. The list is endless. The Shangri La hotels always are worth the extra money. The harbour view was beautiful and the location was perfect for a lot of tourist activities. The hotel was all decorated for the spring festival making it very fun. There is nothing negative about this place. You won't want to go home!

Room Tip: Hrborside and high up. All rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is located close to the Admiralty MTR and Admiralty Plaza shopping mall in HK. Adjacent to this hotel is the Conrad hotel - part of the Hilton group. You can get to these places without going outside the hotel as there is internal walkways.

My taxi pulled up at the entrance and immediately there are already a couple of butlers waiting to help me with my luggage. I was then escorted to the reception area and brought to a desk for check-in. I have got myself a deluxe victoria peak view room but I thought I would try my luck and ask for an free upgrade and I got it! Wow, how good is that? I am a Golden Circle gold member (entry level of the Shangri-La hotel loyalty programme) and I am not expecting that. The only catch is I have gone from a King bed to a twin bed but I am perfectly OK with that. This hotel has moved from paper based to a high-tech environment. All my details are displayed on a LCD panel for me to validate and sign at the reception.

I was given a room on level 44 - it sounds pretty high up but it is about 3/4 way up. The hotel has something like 50+ levels. I was again escorted to the elevator by the very helpful butlers. As soon as I got to my room, freshly brewed complimentary Chinese tea and fruit had arrived. What a service!

The room is massive by any standard in HK. It has a massive LCD/LED TV - 50" plus, electronic everything, massive electronic safe which you can easily put a desktop computer in there (most safe in HK is too small to even put a laptop inside), giant executive desk, plenty of wardrobe space. WiFi is free and fast, you can even register multiple devices. The bathroom has twin basin, a big walk in shower, separate bath tub with a TV! Plenty of toilet amenities and fresh towels. Shangri-La uses the French brand - L'Occitane and there is plenty of them. There is also a chandelier in your room - that is impressive!

The bed is very comfortable and the room has great noise insulation. During my stay, I have asked for a pair of scissors and I had the butler waiting at the door for almost 5 mins because I couldn't him outside. The view I had was facing Kowloon TST area. I could see the Conrad Hotel which is just 30M next door. The view was not as good as I thought it would be and certainly not as it had displayed in the website - probably because of the location of the room and the muggy weather.

I have eaten at the Cafe Too everyday and again the service is great. However, the variety has not changed and being a traveller, I always find hotel breakfast is kind of mundane. It is great for the first couple of days then it gets boring. It isn't cheap but being at a 5 star hotel, it is a fair price. I must admit, I have stayed at other 5 star hotels with better quality and more choices - take note Shangri-La... I have also eaten at the Lobster Bar and Grill and it is much much better over there.

On the last day, I have asked for a late checkout and I was initially given 3pm. After a bit of negotiation, I managed to push it back to 4pm. They are very very attentive to customer's request - well done and appreciate this. Checkout was smooth and over in 5 minutes.

This is certainly my first choice for an opulent, 5 star, great location, great service hotel at HK. Its location is good because it is close to Central - 1 stop away, has a shopping mall downstair which is not overcrowded like Causeway Bay. It is at a quiet location as it is slight up the hill. It is a great brand. It is just awesome!

See you later in the year - I will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade and late checkout! You may just get it...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business