“Excellent in All Respects”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #14 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent in All Respects”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Having just had a slightly disappointing stay elsewhere in the Far East in another highly rated but slightly disappointing hotel the Island Shangri La was a real joy to stay at. From the moment I was met at the airport through to being dropped back there three days later every aspect of this hotel and its staff was spot on. I had a club room with a great view of the harbour. Access to the club lounge is really useful to have as its a great place for meetings on site and also gets you another couple of options on where to have breakfast. In the evenings, the bar area is lively and the staff get the balance just right of great service, whilst being sociable but not intrusive. On my last day, I was not leaviing until late in the day and wanted to change out of my business suit for travelling home so they arranged for my luggage to be taken up to the leisure club whilst I showered and changed and then ferried the luggage back down to the concierge whilst I had supper and then the next time I sawimy suitcase was when it was being taken out of the back of the limo at the airport. Small details but just executed so well and done so badly by many other hotels. Highly recommended - I will definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Club room with a harbour view - fantastic
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I spent one night at this spectacular hotel in Hongkong Kong last December and must say I really enjoyed my stay. We had the opportunity to stay in one of the club floor rooms and had the access to the club lounge. The club lounge was nicely decorated with an outstanding view over the harbour. In addition to serving breakfast they also seve pre-dinner drinks and canapes in the evening. The selection of different kinds of canapes is most impressive, and they look amazing, too.
The room was immaculately decorated and the bed was one of the best ones I've ever slept in.
Definitely a good choice for the travel worn traveller !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hannu H
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel location is quite convenient and overall the hotel has everything you wish to have when you are far away from home during a business trip. Room a spacious, clean, traditional and have a great view on the bau

• Stayed January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We enjoyed a week in Hong Kong, and don't have enough praise for this hotel. Service was super, clean, spacious rooms and great club facilities. We felt so relaxed and at home and staff were so helpful. Highly recommend as the a must stay in Hong Kong.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CountryCol
Summit, NJ
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had a 1 week business trip to HK and stayed for 8 nights. I have visited Hong Kong for personal reasoning in the past, but stay here do to the proximity to my office. Not much more to add to the other great reviews, service and quality of the hotel are great. the hotel sits on top of Pacific Place Mall, very high end. So if your like me and sometime want to just wander out to check out more of the everyday restaurants you'll have to take a taxi to Wan Chai or Central, there isn't that much around, but that is not a negative, as they are both a 20 min walk in either direction.

I had a peak view room, nothing special on the views, but the rooms were quite and the walls were solid enough to prevent too much noise from adjoining rooms. Funny thing is the only thing I heard was the ringing from wake up calls in the mornings, unlike some hotels were you can hear the TV, water running, etc.... very quite and good for a 13 hour jet lag recovery.

The Breakfast buffet was standard for high end Hong Kong hotels, a bit of everything for all tastes. Everything was fresh and tasty. A decent selection of dim sum every morning. While your not going to get the best dim sum here, it was still good.

I had a excellent stay and will be back.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for a night in January. First let me say that this is by far the best hotel I have stayed at in Hong Kong; spacious rooms, great amenities in-room and a fabulous location. Truly a fantastic experience!

But before I walked in we almost had a minor crisis with my luggage in the taxi and this experience is perhaps the only thing that is keeping me back from giving this place the full 5/5 because it could have easily turned into a disaster rather quick.

Upon arrival my taxi pulled up to the hotel lobby. Bellman opened the door for me but the receipt printer in the taxi had run out of paper so I waited in the cab while the driver changed the paper and printed the receipt out. Waiting there -getting a tad bit impatient- I told the bellman I had one bag in the boot of the car. Usually at any fine establishment such as this you would think that they would go back and unload the luggage at this point so you don't even have to worry about it. So I was expecting this when I informed the bellman I had one bag in the boot.

About a minute or two later we finally got the receipt thing sorted out. I got out of the taxi and naturally had just expected my bag to be unloaded. Fortunately, gut instinct kicked in and I had a quick look around. Didn't see the bag. Figured it was inside already but I also figured it probably didn't hurt to have a look in the boot of the taxi. The taxi had pulled up a bit to pick-up some other passengers at the hotel so we fortunately were able to stop him.

Guess what was still in the boot? They hadn't gotten the bag out! Feeling a mix of relief and shock, I told the bellman it would have been a big problem if the taxi had driven off! I don't think he understood me but I was not impressed. You just don't expect this at such a great hotel like the Shangri-La, and the arrival is always the first and most important impression of a hotel I think.

Check-in was a breeze; friendly and efficient, and high-tech! I was able to secure a high-floor room with a view of the peak which was great. Stunning views. As mentioned previously, the room was spacious. The already brewed hot tea and chocolates placed in the room prior to arrival were a pleasant and welcome surprise. The chocolates were crazy delicious. I ordered some room service feeling completely famished. Sweet and sour pork with rice which arrived promptly but it wasn't great at all. Should have gone with the club sandwich! While we are on the topic of food here, if you stay here be sure to have breakfast up on the top floor restaurant (totally forget the name of it). It has lovely views of the harbour, great service and a wonderful spread of food.

Bed was comfortable for the most part. I slept horribly most of the night though, kept waking up. But I somewhat surprisingly felt totally rested when I woke up wide awake at 7:30 or so the next morning (naturally by about 7 PM later in the day I was exhausted after a full day of meetings!)

The room was spotless, immaculately clean. The toilet was also spacious and complete with a great range of L'Occitane bath products, nice tub/shower with good water pressure and hot water.

All-in-all, for a one night stay it was great. The service was for the most part excellent, most of the staff is friendly and smiling, some could use some work on this though. But I absolutely loved this hotel, and would without a doubt stay here again. The issue with the bellman I believe is an isolated incident and probably something I wouldn't encounter again the next time I stayed.

If you can afford to stay here, stay here.

Room Tip: Just try to get as high up as your can for a great view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ISLHK, General Manager at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear SQ 452

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read your detailed review of various services and facilities of the hotel, though regret the incident with the left luggage upon arrival. This is clearly not indicative of our services and I can assure you that we have taken steps to prevent such incident from happening again. I sincerely apologize for this lapse.

We believe our people are our greatest asset, and your observations in this regard will also be shared.

Thank you very much for being our guest and for sharing your experience.I hope we will be able to welcome you again on your next trip to Hong Kong.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang Krueger
Area General Manager
Carnegie
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights 15-19 Jan 23 and had a wonderful time.
My wife and I had a Horizon club harbor view room interconnecting with our daughters room.
The facilities in the rooms and quality bathrooms were just awesome and beautiful.
Having access to the Club we were able to go anytime for drinks, snacks or breakfast and have dinner or room service delivered to the room or club while overlooking the harbor. The food is very good.
The staff are wonderful. Too many to mention from concierge (Kevin) to the main restaurant (Zoe) The staff in the club lounge are so professional and always give advice such as Natalie Jeffrey and the team.
We ate in their beautiful Michelan star rated restaurant and used the gym for an early work out before breakfast.
Located above Pacific Place we could easily go by train anywhere and only had a short walk to the Peak tram.
If you want to stay in HKG and want the best then look no further and stay at the Island Shangri-la
You will not be disappointed - we weren't.
We will be back one day soon.
Thanks