“Beautiful Hotel with fantastic facilities”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #11 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel in May of 2012 and we were totally wowed by every aspect of this hotel - from the gorgeous room, lobby and communal areas, to the wonderful restaurants and friendly and efficient staff. I cannot think of one negative aspect of our stay at this hotel, aside from the fact that we had to leave! We hope to return to Hong Kong again one day and would definitely like to stay at the Island Shangri-La again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Horizon Club Peak View Room - Just fantastic!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Italia30
Write a ReviewReviews (2,164)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The hotel itself was beautiful. The location was perfect. We had the pacific place for shopping and the MTR right there. We could go on about the hotel itself, but it is the staff that makes this hotel outstanding. We had a few mishaps during our stay in Hong Kong.

Lets start with Ivan Poon. When we first arrived, he was hunting for a room with a king bed for us. Around this time I had just realized that I misplaced my iPhone. After checking us in, he couldn't help but notice my distress and without a second thought, he took down all of our information, helping us trace our steps and making calls to the police, and the other places we were at just prior to our arrival. My iPhone was never found, but the staff that night were all aware and would keep us up to date.

Then there is Jeffrey Wan and the staff on the morning we were supposed to have departed. I suddenly fell ill that morning and my boyfriend jumped into action and called the front desk asking for guidance. Healthcare at home is one thing, but when you are travelling, it's the last thing you really think about. Anyway, Jeffrey and another staff member came rushing up to our room and as soon as they saw me, they insisted on taking us to the hospital as opposed to the ambulance because it was quicker. They had sent someone from security, Jessica. Jessica was fantastic. She took care of all of my paperwork for me, and stayed with us throughout the consultation. After the visit, she called for a car, and upon arriving back at the hotel, she walked us back to our room and had called for tea to be sent up to our room right away.

We had decided to stay in Hong Kong an extra day considering that we weren't sure if it was wise to travel on the original day of departure. Checking out was a busy time, but Jeffrey took a moment to walk over to where I was standing to say good bye, and had called for help for our luggage.

With a heartfelt thanks, you made our stay a positive experience. I can't wait to stay again!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed for work for a week, i had meetings mostly around admiralty and central and this property was very well located. I had a harbour view room horizon club room and that's the room level i'd recommend booking if you are going to spend a fair bit of time there. The club lounge is nice and does cocktails every night including french champagne. The club lounge breakfast is a bit average. Also the hotel needs a refurb it's looking a little dated.

Room Tip: Get a club level room harbour view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Very large rooms for HK. Better views than the Conrad / Marriott in Pacific Place. Old style Chinese decor and service. Excellent staff. Very good food.

Only hiccup was the airport greeter, who should know by now that people coming off long haul flights may not look like they are going to a business meeting and just want to get to the hotel as fast as possible..

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I typically stay here 3 times a year on business and highly recommend it. I have stayed at pretty much all the 5 star hotels in Central but definitely prefer the Island Shangri-la due to its location (to my company's offices and LKF) as well as the superb service I typically receive. Check-in / check-out is a breeze, rooms are always clean and any issues are addressed within minutes of calling the service center. The bar is also a nice place to grab a post-prandial drink or a quick one before heading out. I will keep coming back as long as they keep up the excellent service.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Quite simply, its nice when a hotel gets everything right.

Warm welcome, quick check-in, internet that worked first time, free wifi (hooray), comfortable rooms, nice toileteries, walk in shower that was powerful and hot, comfortable beds, splendid breakfast buffet, accurate bill, a bar with a nice atmosphere.

The pool was being maintained and was out of use, but the hotel had at least bothered to make reciprocal arrangements with the Conrad.

Will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We utilized the hoel's service for airport pickup and booked the horizon club which meant we were on the 53rd floor and had access to the Horizon Club lounge which served, starting with breakfast, refreshments all day including cocktail hour with excellent finger food. We thought this was good value for the traveller. Booking in was a dream - we were escorted to our room immediately on arrival where our the process was completed. This was at 8am - no waiting until 2pm check-in which does occur in some grand hotels! the hotel is immaculate, the staff ever attentive and charming and we could not fault our spacious room. The location is good with ready access to shopping malls, metro and buses. The Hong Kong park which is great for a stroll,is opposite.Great view from the 53rd floor so go for it and watch the Hong Kong eagles soar!

Room Tip: Utilise the horizon club. Suites are not necessary.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple