The location is a plus point, very accessible. It overlooks a very busy dual carriageway so a room on a higher floor (>15) is essential if you also want the harbour view. Our first room on floor 7 was noisy with traffic all night.
The rooms are slightly dated - particularly the bathroom. But for a city centre hotel, acceptable. My only bugbear (as with all Mandarin Oriental owned hotels) is the chargeable WiFi. Even at the lower room rates (which I assume we paid) this is unacceptable when even the smallest coffee shop can provide this service. Thus, we did not take breakfast at the hotel as we normally would but crossed the courtyard to a Starbucks with WiFi. The Starbucks is in the World Trade Centre shopping centre which has a good selection of shops. There was a steady stream of folk exiting the hotel going to Starbucks!
We were not able to eat in the 34th floor restaurant as they were closing at 9.30 pm so we had a simple meal in the first floor cafe - it was OK.
One point of note - the excellent concierge service. They were very helpful - sorting the check in for our flights, and advising on our travel around the island generally. We took our suitcases to the airport bag drop at HK Central early on the day of our flight departure at midnight. This worked well as when we came to leave for the airport later, the traffic was gridlocked so we were grateful for the train option.
We left our carry-ons with the concierge and when we returned later in the day to change, we were given access to the gym/spa for shower facilities. This was much appreciated and a reflection of the quality of the concierge service offered here.
I would return to the hotel if the WiFi charging is sorted out!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Causeway Bay, the shopping centre of Hong Kong Island, The Excelsior, Hong Kong is only a five-minute drive from the city's central business district and 40 minutes by MTR from Hong Kong International Airport. The hotel features five exclusive Executive Floors with a private lounge, a fully equipped business centre, a state-of-the-art Fitness Centre featuring advanced fitness equipment and dedicated spa facilities, as well as extensive meeting and banquet facilities. Every guestroom is equipped with a free smartphone with unlimited Internet access, complimentary local and international calls to five countries. Perfect for business and leisure travellers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda and Ctrip TA so you can book your The Excelsior, Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Excelsior, Hong Kong Hotel Hong Kong
- Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong
- Excelsior Hotel Hong Kong
- Excelsior Hong Kong