As with other reviewers of this hotel, I too was a long term resident of HK and stayed here on our first look-see visit in the early 1990s and it remains a place of good memories, not least for the indoor tennis court that used to exist on the next door roof and was accessed via the hotel.
The major refurb of a few years back still looks ok and the cafe overlooking what is left of the yacht harbour is a good setting and offers a good breakfast buffet; lobby tends to be full of tour group/airline people hanging around, but always has a busy feel to it.
I returned on a recent business trip as my usual choice of the Conrad was full for one night. I may have had an un-refurbished room - and it was a side harbour view - but it felt like it had seen better days, with some signs of wear and tear on walls and near the windows; carpet was also not that clean.
This may well have been a one off and for a one night stay I did not refer it to management and would still recommend the Excelsior for a value-with-quality option on the island. Generally always taxis available outside and the MTR is a short walk away, as are all the Causeway Bay shops and restaurants etc (including, still, HMV). Starbucks opposite provides a coffee/breakfast option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Causeway Bay, the shopping centre of Hong Kong Island, The Excelsior, Hong Kong is only a five-minute drive from the city's central business district and 40 minutes by MTR from Hong Kong International Airport. The hotel features five exclusive Executive Floors with a private lounge, a fully equipped business centre, a state-of-the-art Fitness Centre featuring advanced fitness equipment and dedicated spa facilities, as well as extensive meeting and banquet facilities. Every guestroom is equipped with a free smartphone with unlimited Internet access, complimentary local and international calls to five countries. Perfect for business and leisure travellers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Excelsior, Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Excelsior, Hong Kong Hotel Hong Kong
- Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong
- Excelsior Hotel Hong Kong
- Excelsior Hong Kong