Being former Hong Kong residents my wife and I were familiar with the Excelsior, being regulars over the years in the Dickens Bar and the Yee Tung Heen Cantonese Restaurant, both deservedly popular with locals. However, a four day stay in 2009 turned us off the hotel as the staff were rude on check-in and we were given a small room (1117) on the side with no view.
As it was essential we be in the centre of things in Causeway Bay during our most recent visit to Hong Kong we decided to give the Excelsior a second chance - and we are so glad we did. We stayed two nights (Room 1709) and returned after visiting Shanghai for a further eight nights (Room 1928). On both occasions we were checked-in by Ms Yo-Yo and she was as friendly and helpful as the 2009 receptionist had been rude. We were upgraded and both rooms were large with harbour views.
I am giving the Excelsior the top overall rating of 'Excellent' for our stay was one of the best in any hotel in recent years. Even the room cleaning lady left my toiletries in the bathroom in the position where I wanted them to be not where she or her supervisor all guests had to place them. A small point but small points like this can make the difference.
Two small points on the negative side. Thick duvets on hotel beds in hot/humid climates encourage guests to turn the air-conditioning down low. Wash basins with metal plugs that do not hold water long enough to even wash ones face mean constant refilling of the basin. Multiply the heavy electricity and water usage by 884 rooms and it can be seen the Excelsior is not doing itself or the environment any favours!
The two minor negative points above aside the Excelsior is a great hotel, one we will be staying in on future visits to Hong Kong. It is with good reason I entitle this review 'Excellent Excelsior'.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Causeway Bay, the shopping centre of Hong Kong Island, The Excelsior, Hong Kong is only a five-minute drive from the city's central business district and 40 minutes by MTR from Hong Kong International Airport. The hotel features five exclusive Executive Floors with a private lounge, a fully equipped business centre, a state-of-the-art Fitness Centre featuring advanced fitness equipment and dedicated spa facilities, as well as extensive meeting and banquet facilities. Every guestroom is equipped with a free smartphone with unlimited Internet access, complimentary local and international calls to five countries. Perfect for business and leisure travellers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Excelsior, Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Excelsior, Hong Kong Hotel Hong Kong
- Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong
- Excelsior Hotel Hong Kong
- Excelsior Hong Kong