Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
  • Restaurant
Ovolo Central(Hong Kong)
  • Breakfast included
3,109 results
All reviewsclipper loungecafe causettecaptains barman wahhermes toiletriesoriental suitecake shopbest hotels in the worldroom servicefour seasonsturn down servicetop floorfavorite hoteljet lagluxury hotela harbour view roomconcierge desk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 5, 2009

No need to go on and on about the service, which is as good as everyone says.

The buffet breakfast is awesome and worth waking up early to linger over. I could eat for hours.

A large part of the harbor across the hotel is under construction, which does ruin the view somewhat, but that really can't be helped (there was no noise from it). Despite that, its worth springing for at least a room with a view.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stanty
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Stopped over in Hong Kong for a few days and hit lucky with this hotel. The hotel is a little smaller than the normal large chain hotels so it we have received a very peronalised service everywhere we have gone in the hotel - went to the bar twice and they knew my name! The spec of the rooms are also very good - certainly impressed the wife! The hotel is in Central so in a very good location - thoroughly recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrSSlater
Reviewed August 22, 2009

The rooms are great and the location really convenient but the service you experience from being picked up at the airport to checking out is the best I have ever come across. Heartily recommend to everyone.

2  Thank Wildabout
Reviewed August 18, 2009

With a number of outstanding hotels in HK to choose from, the Mandarin certainly has some fierce competition, and I am also a big fan of the Four Seasons and the Peninsula in Kowloon, but on a business trip, for outstanding service, a fantastic location, and great facilities, for me there is really only one choice. I have stayed at dozens of hotels in Asia over the years, but none consistently impress me like this one, and after the renovation of the hotel a few years ago, the rooms are top notch.

First, the service. From the efficient and helpful staff coordinating the pick up at the airport, to the 5 guys that literally ran to unload my bags from the car, to the in room check in with a guy who already knew my name and volunteered to run a fax to the business centre for me, to the guy at check out who knew my name when I walked into the lobby and later overheard my conversation with my office about my expensive telephone bill and volunteered to knock 20% off the cost, these guys are a well oiled, high performance customer service machine. The restaurants in the hotel are terrific, the location for business meetings in one of the most convenient in the city.

One slightly whinge that I have is about the gym. Although it is new, very clean, and staffed with helpful and friendly folk, it doesn't have the type of machines that I prefer. Boo-hoo. That is about the worst thing I can say about the place.

Never used the spa so I can't comment.

One other comment on the rooms. I used to book the cheapest rate and would often get stuck in one of the corner rooms facing the city side, which are a bit cramped and claustrophobic. Better to pay for a better room or request an upgrade to a harbour view room, which are clean, new, big and really well set up. Personal favorite for me is the Denon stereo ipod connection, so I can play my own music.

Hat's off to this hotel.

5  Thank NAC88
Reviewed August 15, 2009

we had a recently refurbished harbour view room on the 9th floor; the foreshore regeneration site below caused no noise or light pollution.
every need in the room was catered for; nothing was a problem, whether finding a charger for an old generation nokia, or opening the blinds to see the view from the shower; at night the room was completely dark and the mattress soft, ensuring a sound sleep; the nifty little old fashioned service tray entry area was pretty cool too; very Maxwell Smart.
the food, whether plain room service or the world famous mandarin grill, was unbelievably above average; the simple wonton soup is a winner.
the service was perfect; even when I left my passport wallet in the taxi (oops) at the IFC station, the concierge rang me on my (international) mobile after it was sorted out - thank you mr taxi driver - just to make sure everything was indeed sorted out.
the spa treatments we had were all superb, whether manicure, pedicure or facial; all lovely
the hotel was wonderful when I first encountered it in the 80's, if anything, its better still now.
A final nice feature; the poor old cigar smokers have been banished from the Captains Bar from 1 July; I assume they have migrated to Savva Bar on level 25 of the Princes Building next door, but thats another (wonderful) story.

3  Thank canetoad59