“How a hotel should be run”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed just for one night following our cruise from Singapore. We arrived early and were met with " welcome to the Mandarin Oriental Mr & Mrs Woolf. We were shown to our room which is superbly furnished and our luggage followed within minutes. The quality of the beds, towels and fittings is first class. We had a late check out and the room had been cleaned with fresh towels so we could shower before our long flights back to the uk. Unfortunately our pre arranged transport arrived but was insufficient to take four of us together with our luggage . No problem for the concierge who contacted Emirates and with a great deal of persistence arranged for another car. Not only that there was a Mandarin member of staff at the airport to take us through to check in at the airport. Fantastic service with a smile at all times and a great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a sea view .
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is a very short review- as all I can say is that this hotel delivers everything 5* totally seamless - good location - the staff -the rooms- the food. If I return to Hong Kong this in where I will stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Summary: The Mandarin Oriental just celebrated its 50th anniversary. It is and remains a Hong Kong icon and even if you don't stay here, you should at least visit for a meal or a drink. Its at the heart of, and represents the best of, Hong Kong in every sense.

Pros: Service, ambience, style, location

Cons: Hmmmm… struggling to think of anything…

Its nearly exactly two years since I last wrote a review for tripadvisor. I just got married (thank you) and we had an intimate reception with our close friends at the Mandarin Oriental and stayed that night. It seemed an appropriate time to write a few reviews for the MO and the honeymoon that followed (see separate reviews for Oberoi Hotels, India, to follow).

I have lived in Hong Kong for around 8 years and therefore don't often need to stay at the MO - and that is my loss. I regularly eat or have a drink at the MO and it is one of my favorite locations in Central.

The MO exudes a sense of confidence, style and grace and it is always an oasis from the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong. The hotel is situated right in the centre of Hong Kong (Central) on Hong Kong Island. It is a perfect location to stay for either business or as a tourist, right in the middle of the Central.

I now travel every two to three weeks within in Asia and stay in various hotels in the region. The Mandarin brand is one of the strongest (Bangkok being another favourite) and Hong Kong is where it all started. It is always a pleasure to walk into the Mandarin in Hong Kong: it has a unique ambience and elegance. (And in case you are unaware, there are two Mandarins in Hong Kong - there is also the Landmark Mandarin which was originally opened when the Oriental was being refurbished several years ago - there are also two Shangri-Las (and indeed two Lan Kwai Fong hotels, and only one is remotely good!).)

Back to our stay, I realised that there is something you get at a hotel like the MO - and that is complete peace of mind. You know that anything you could need is only a phone call away, that you will be incredibly well looked after, that your possessions will be completely safe and the staff will have an abundance of common sense and thoughtfulness. Of course you pay a premium for this but it is something that, in some ways, you can't put a price on. And on a big day (like your wedding day), it will reduce stress factors significantly (it certainly did for me).

Two examples shone out. Firstly there was Joanne Cheng, the director of catering - she was simply outstanding in the support she provided up to the big day; her flexibility, sensible suggestions, attention to detail and polite follow-ups regarding things I had inevitably forgotten!

And speaking of forgotten, there was a last minute snafu that required me to dash back to the hotel from the registry in a cab to collect something forgotten (not the ring mind you). I jumped out of the cab, barked something (probably rudely) at the valet/doorman about not letting the cab go and rushed up to my room. There is no way the cab could stay where it was (its a single lane drop-off off a busy road), but he sensibly asked the driver to circle the block - when I came down again, he calmly told me what the situation was and she pulled up 20 seconds later. (I am pleased to say I did at least get the chance to thank him and apologise for any brusqueness on our return - safely married.)

There were lovely touches in the room, a lovely welcome, a room upgrade and generally an unobtrusive professionalism to the whole experience. The room was lovely, very comfortable, beautiful bedding, muted tones, all the extras one could need - the fabric steamer I was about to call down for was already there in my room.

I should finish-up by saying that there is an enormous sense of pride in Hong Kong attached to the Mandarin Oriental (for others in this city, its the Peninsula - the other iconic Hong Kong hotel, situated Kowloon side). Hong Kong has an huge number of fantastic hotels (the wonderful Upper House being named the second best in the world by this very forum), but for old world Hong Kong elegance, charm and understated sophistication, it will always be the MO for me.

If you can't stay, at least pay a visit to this wonderful institution. The restaurants and bars are all outstanding.

As you can tell, I am yet another fan.

My thanks to the MO for making our special day so memorable.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tobeconfirmed
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

This is a truly fantastic hotel. The moment you walk in the door it is obvious that you have entered one of the finest hotels in the world.

The rooms are beautiful.

The service is better than at any other hotel I've experienced.

There are excellent dining options and great nightlife on site.

The location is great.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msbutcher
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Very friendly staff. I arrived late in the evening and was very tired. They took me to my room and showed me around and really made me feel relaxed and comfortable. That is the first time any hotel has ever done that in my travels.
No issue to small to resolve quickly.
Rooms are very well appointed and clean. I would not change anything about the rooms.
Nice place to have breakfast either on your own or as a business meeting

Good location, very easy to navigate around Hong Kong via the rear entrance

Happily recommend

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Special effects? Enormous building? No thanks: i just want to be free to imagine to be at home, served and revered! Hihihi. That's why I chose Mandarin Hotel in Hong Kong. I had what I expected and... more!
Everything is perfect with a lot of privacy. All the employees are so courteous: always present, never bulky. Services at top level.
Superior room: perfect for me and my two children.
Great location for everything you want to do in HK.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We felt welcomed from the moment we walked into the hotel. The service, particularly the concierge staff were exceptional and genuinely interested in bettering our experience of Hong Kong and the hotel itself. The attention to detail in the daily servicing of the room and the turn-down evening service were enough to make you feel special - I had left a scarf draped over a chair and returned to find it folded. I would love to model my own bathroom like the one in the room, especially the shower. Very easy location for access to shopping and sight-seeing and anything a little further afield the concierge team look after with full info and detail to ensure you have the best opportunity for a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends