“Mandarin Oriental the new synonym for Excellence”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 1, 2013

As I board the cab to the scenic Hong Kong International airport I cant be more unwilling to leave this part of the world which has given me memories of a lifetime and the main reason being The Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Hong Kong. Absolutely fabulous with spacious well organized and beautiful rooms especially the one's with the view of victoria harbour. The Harbour rooms are well lit and if u can do try to stay in these rooms. The staff is extremely courteous and very caring for individual needs of the guests.
They have very nice activities for the kids. The new year party which still continues has been awesome. The Spa is extremely relaxing and probably one of the best in the world. Will miss Hong Kong especially Mandarin Oriental.

Room Tip: The Harbour rooms are amazing. Try staying in them as they have an awesome view and are spacious.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DrNNJ
There are newer reviews for Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I first patronized this hotel in 1970, when it was barely three years old. Yet it was then already a byword for impeccable service matched by an understated elegance and leisureliness. Young as it was, it rivaled the grand Peninsula Hotel, not lease because its location was ideal, in the heart of the bustling city's business, financial, shopping and fine-dining district, called Central. How it has maintained its preeminence since must surely count as one of the marvels of modern hotel stories. A month ago, I returned for a 5-day stay after an absence of seven months and once more fell under its charm. Admittedly, the size of its rooms cannot compare to those of newer hotels at Pacific Place such as the Shangri-la or Conrad, or the Four Seasons, but it has its own distinctive rich patina that makes up for the reduced dimensions. How it manages to house so many bars and fine restaurants within its walls is a mystery to me, but this definitely is not a complaint! On the contrary, the choice is generous. It even has two breakfast restaurants! One forgives it for the small swimming pool, so perfect is the hotel in other ways. Indeed, its relatively small size compared to the other 5-star establishments in the city means that there is never a crowd in the lobby, and not a single loud voice is heard. Aside from the Mandarin Landmark, not other hotel can boast of a covered access to everything one needs without ever having to walk on the pavement, much less cross a street! My love affair with Hong Kong owes much to this grand lady with a reputation justifiably world-wide.

Room Tip: The rooms with a harbour view basically has the advantage of extra space which was formerly that of...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 5_starhotellover88
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed in 2 connecting rooms with the family at the Mandarin Oriental HK from 26 - 31 December 2012 and this is undoubtedly one of the best hotels in the world! This is probably our 4th stay here as a family. Reception took into account that we were traveling with our three children and they offered an extra bed at no extra cost. The kids room had mini bathrobes and they were gifted with stuffed toys and shirts and caps! The rooms seem like they were recently renovated. Housekeeping service is impeccable. There is a Nespresso machine in each room and the wines and champagnes in the mini bar are very well chosen. Ate almost every night at Cafe Causette (as the other outlets Pierre, Grill were fully booked for the holidays!) but the waiters did a fantastic job of taking care of us. By the 2nd night, they knew our food and drink preferences and always made us feel at home. Kids were given complimentary pentel pens and arts & crafts sets which kept them occupied. Buffet breakfast at the Clipper Lounge was abundant and food was delightful. The walkways connecting the Mandarin Oriental to several stores and buildings was a plus, especially when it rained. We would definitely go back again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FAtienza
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I travel for work and pleasure extensively and this is my favorite hotel. Perfect location in Central, beautiful old building in perfect condition with all the mod cons, lovely bars and restaurants, superb rooms and - most noteworthy - perfect service. THE only place to stay in HK. Tip: spa has one of the best massages in HK.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Although they dont offer the most spacious room (but decent by HK standard) everything about this hotel (hardware and software) is of 5 star quality from the room design to bathroom to entertainment system to complimentary selection of tea bag --all is of best quality. Stayed their night before my birthday and during check out , a box of chocolate was prepared. You pay 5 star price and you get 5 star quality and service!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank cassieko
Reviewed December 22, 2012

From the airport to the hotel is about 30 minutes and my taxi cost ~ HK$350 with tolls. You can book the Meet and Greet service for HK$350 too and someone will meet you as soon as you land. My impression of this service was the guide would escort you through immigration so you didn’t have to wait. Unfortunately, my guide left me and met me on the other side. Just for that, I wouldn’t recommend booking this service because it’s easy to navigate the airport. The hotel is very close to shopping (high-end) and trendy restaurants. You’re two blocks away from the Star Ferry (HK$2.50 each way - I visited Kowloon)! Daily internet is available for HK$160.

Arrival: I checked-in early and my room was immediately available, and I was upgraded, thanks to the package I booked. You’re given the option to check-in at the Front Desk or in your room and offered welcome tea. I was escorted all the way to the room. The bellhop staff are very organized and delivered my luggage as I arrived to my room.

Room: The first thing I noticed about the room was a musty smell (not severe or anything, but enough to get my attention). I left the A/C on the entire time (which was very strong – to the point I turned it off a few times, unheard of for me) and it helped mask the smell, but there was still a faint smell here and there. There is plenty of lights in the room and plenty of closet space. There is a valet closet where the hotel delivers your stuff to your room discretely. There’s a coffee maker/water kettle available in your room. If you face another building, you will want to leave at least your sheer blinds closed for privacy (I had a slight view of the Bank of China building, which lights up at night). There was no welcome amenity.

Bathroom: The bathroom is divided into three different sections: open sink area, and separately enclosed toilet, and shower/tub. The shower was great; excellent water pressure. The amenities were Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil (?)! There were a lot of knick-knacks such as toothbrushes, etc. that are restocked daily by housekeeping.

Food: I had the buffet breakfast and each day was fine. The food was of above average quality, and there is quite an extensive selection for HK$288. Room service was prompt and again, above average quality. What I love about room service though is they only add one fee, a 10% service charge, none of that delivery fee and gratuity that you pay for usually in the US.

Mandarin Barber: I visited the Mandarin Barber and this place is fantastic. It definitely feels like an exclusive club. I had a 30-minute treatment and time flew, next thing you know, it’s over. Wish work would fly that fast too, especially on a Friday at 1:00 o’clock! Definitely recommended!

Service: Housekeeping did a wonderful job taking care of the room and the bellhop/doormen were super pleasant and very efficient. Other than that, I wasn’t overly wowed. I felt like I was pestering the concierge when I asked a question. Additionally, at the restaurant, it was off-putting to me that staff delivered the check to my table less than 10 minutes after sitting down for breakfast.

Overall: It’s a great hotel and you will probably enjoy your visit; however, I think I will try another hotel the next time I visit Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Book a room with a harbor view and ask for a high floor. My view was of another office building. I c...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I can not even count how many times i have stayed in this hotel. It is by far my number one choice of hotels in the world.

The service far surpasses any other hotel i have ever stayed at. There is a big difference between good service and great service but words can not describe how phenomenal the service is here.
The Value? yes its a bit pricey but its a price worth paying.
Sleep Quality? Located in the heart of Hong Kong's central district there is so much to do and see but with each room being so luxurious it makes you just not want to ever leave the room
Cleanliness? You can eat off the floors in the public restrooms. Spotless
The Rooms. Each one is amazing. I have had the opportunity to stay in various rooms within the hotel but my favourite must be the corner mandarin suites with large bathrooms with an incredible bath over looking the harbor.
Spa. On an other level. If you stay at the hotel you must give the spa a go. The pool however is not all that fantastic. Its indoors and kinda small. Also the hot tub/ steam room seems a bit old. The other mandarin oriental at the Landmark which is 10 minutes walk is fantastic. Their steam room/ hot tub is the finest i have ever seen.
Breakfast. You have a choice of various restaurants. All amazing. I wish i could just live here forever.

Room Tip: Mandarin Suite
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends