“Outstanding service”

Ranked #6 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
cardiff uk
“Outstanding service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2008

Outstanding standards of service at this high-class hotel. Great location in Central - opposite the Star Ferry Terminal and within walking distance of shopping malls and the Peak Tram.
Staff trained to a very high standard - nothing was too much trouble. Concierge staff were exemplary. We were upgraded to a Harbour View Suite which was a delightful bonus. Whatever the type of room you stay in, it's the service that makes this such a great hotel.
Breakfast in Cafe Causette offered a huge range of delicious juices, pancakes , breads and cooked meals.
Make sure you have the afternoon tea in the Clipper Lounge though you'll need to make a reservation as it's extremely popular.

Stayed December 2007
4 Thank richam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
East Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2008

I just returned from staying at this property while on a business trip. While one becomes used to outstanding service at any of the premier hotels in Hong Kong, the Mandarin Oriental has impressed me as being the cream of the crop. I would normally stay at the Ritz Carlton, but with its imminent closing (as of Jan 31), I opted to stay at the refurbished Mandarin. The rooms and particularly the outstanding service and attention to detail/customer satisfaction was above reproach.

I will be returning to Hong Kong in two months on vacation, and have just canceled my reservation at the Four Seasons and re-booked instead at the Mandarin. It is a very impressive venue.

• Liked — Outstanding customer service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
5 Thank cntrave
Essex England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2008

stayed here on business for a couple of weeks.
grand hotel, old world charm, opulence, pretty much sums it up, oh, and location.
simply marvelous.
food is v pricey and not worth it in my opinion.
rooms, service and all else fantastic.
def get some shopping in HK, v cheap designer brands etc ad some really nice centres. and the peak tram is a must.

Stayed April 2005
3 Thank pbeart13
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

Stayed at the Mandarin for a couple of nights in mid-December and then back again for the period over Christmas, with young family.

The hotel is one of those where I am always surprised by the quality of service, but then on reflection think that I shouldn't be because I already know how good it is. We found (and have found in the past) all staff to be excellent and prompt to sort any requests - from the front desk, through the waiting staff to housekeeping - and this was even during a very busy time over Christmas (when they did a great job, with carol singers around the hotel, dancers and presents for the children).

In terms of rooms, we used a variety on this trip - and would highlight that, unless on a very short business trip, better to avoid the smaller rooms facing the George's building and pay the extra for a proper city view, ideally over Chater Square (and even here the rooms are of different configurations, depending on floor I guess and how they sorted out the former balconies during the refurb).

I think refurb has been a great success, both in the rooms and in the restaurants (although still a shock to have windows in the Grill ...) - and rooms feel high quality (although not so sure about the 'podium' basins or glass-fronted WCs in some rooms). Only issue with the rooms (and I've heard this from somewhere else as well) is getting the lighting right - can be quite low-level unless you play with the system for a while. Elsewhere, now have to pay for i'net access in the business centre, which was free of charge when I was there in May.

Other points- (1) barber shop refurb a bit over the top, but the team remains intact, (2) the hotel remains a good spot to get taxis from in busy times and a good place to be dropped at, to avoid going round a busy Queens Road, if you are going somewhere in Central, even a few mins walk away from the hotel and, (3) for a non-business stay, you can avoid paying up for b'fast by going across the road into Princes Building 2/F and buying croissants etc at Olivers Deli.

I haven't stayed at the Four Seasons or the Landmark, so can't compare directly with those, but Mandarin remains my choice when in HK, not least for being in the middle of Central and so close to offices/shops etc..

• Liked — Service levels, attention to detail, location
  • Disliked — Room lighting, bathroom layouts in some rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank doorstomanual
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2008

Stayed on a business trip and cannot fault the hotel. Good business facilities, well staffed and someone with a smile at every corner you turned.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank hoggtown
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel several times before, and was always impressed by its impeccable service.The location is first-rate , and its easy to walk to IFC , Prince's Building, Landmark. Many international offices are located here, which makes this hotel an excellent choice for business travellers. The spa and gym are also first-rate.

However, my entire stay ( I arrived on the 27th December, and stayed until the 31st -- which was New Year's Eve ) was completely marred by a terrible mistake by the hotel staff which ruined an otherwise pleasant stay and which made me very traumatised ,humiliated and shocked.

I had requested for a late check-out at 6pm on the 31st, as I was going to catch the 8pm flight back to Singapore. This was requested when I first checked in on the 27th. I agreed to pay the extra half -day rate for the 31st .On the 31st, I returned to the hotel at 2 pm and went out until 4 pm, thinking I could pack my bags and get ready to leave by 530-6pm. Imagine my utter shock and horror when I found my luggage all missing, even my shoes, underwear and shopping bags completely missing! I rushed down to reception, where I was told by the staff that there was a mistake as the system did not capture that I was staying an additional half a day.Even though my luggage and belongings were retreived immediately, I was very angry, as I had left some valuables in the hotel safe which I thought might have been tampered with .Luckily, this was not so , and the safe had not been tampered with. However, I was very angry and demanded to see the Manager on duty. Although the Manager and the Reception Staff on duty were deeply apologetic, and tried to make amends, waiving the half-day charge for the 31st, offering me free limousine ride to the airport, and giving me a souvenir as I left, I am still reeling from shock and anger at the high-handedness of the staff at the Hotel. I think that they should have double-checked before arbitarily removing my belongings without my permission.
And to think that this happened on New Year's Eve! This incident completely ruined my stay , and marred my hiterto high impression of the hotel . I have stayed in luxury hotels all over America,Europe and Asia and an episode like this has never happened to me, even at hotels of a much lower ranking and price as the Mandarin Oriental. It will be a very very long time ( if ever ) before I ever stay at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel again.

• Disliked — high-handedness of staff completely ruined my trip
  • Stayed December 2007
24 Thank lizquek
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

I had to go to HK for a Friday meeting so I took my wife along on Thursday evening, making it a long weekend from Shanghai. The last time we stayed together in HK it was at the Island Shangri La, above the Pacific Marina area but this time I booked the MO as it was located near the office at Exchange place. We arrived around 10pm and I had arranged for an airport pickup. From there, we arrived at the hotel and were met by a young lady who took us up and checked us into the hotel in our room. I had booked the cheapest room, not harbor view, but it was as requested. High floor, away from the lifts and extremely quiet. The downstairs bar has a live band and was lively as it was pre-Xmas time. The M bar at the top was also jumping so we elected to have a drink at the bar by the restaurant on the Mezz level. If I had one complaint about the hotel it was the bars were fairly small given the number of rooms in the hotel.

The room was good sized and the bathroom had an awesome two head shower. The amenities were top class and room fittings were also excellent. Bed was comfy, service and staff were excellent and the room was extremely quiet.

There are two restaurants for breakfast, one with the buffet and the other with ala carte ordering. We at the buffet each morning and the assortment of food was excellent. Both Western and Asian styles being represented. With so many fine restaurants nearby, we didn't eat either lunch or dinner at the hotel.

Location, if you want a perfect location in Central, this hotel is the one to book. We will be staying here again when visting HK.

Stayed December 2007