“Moldy Smell”

Prince (Marco Polo Hotels)
Ranked #44 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
New York
“Moldy Smell”
Reviewed December 19, 2009

I stayed here on a recent business trip to Hong Kong. I checked in, went up to the room, and found a horrible moldy smell. I asked to have my room changed, and they said that the hotel was booked. They also sent somebody up to my room to spray it with air freshener. He claimed that he could not smell anything. I then called the Hong Kong university that had booked the room for me and asked if they could get the hotel to change my room. Ten minutes later, I had a room that did not stink. I really did not appreciate being lied to in the first place. What a huge pain!

The halls on some of the floors also smelled moldy to me, so I do not think this was a small idiosyncratic problem.

The cleaning was none too good either. The first day I was there, I accidentally cut my toe. I thought I had cleaned up all of the mess off of the bathroom floor, but when I got back in the evening, there was still some dried blood that I had missed.

At least there were no bedbugs.

The breakfast was plentiful and varied, but the coffee was dreadful, and the price was way too high.

The only good thing is the location, but there are many nicer hotels in the same area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank flytoofar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Almost all hotels in Hong Kong are tiny.Dont get caught out.This hotel has big rooms and all the mod cons.Brilliant value.

Stayed October 2008
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Our family has always preferred this hotel ever since I can remember because of its excellent location and we've been here countless times. The malls are a short stroll away (it's actually built within the mall) but the hotel has seen better days. It's still clean though and since it's old, the rooms are larger than more modern hotels. It's ideal for families with kids.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Perth, Autralia
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Our short stay at the Prince was very pleasant. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Complements to Christine at the front desk for gracefully and professionally handling my checkin with a pushy mainland tour operator screaming at her, trying to jump queue.
Rooms were clean and comfortable if a bit compact. the bathroom was a bit dated.
We enjoyed the convenience of being able to walk straight into the harbour city shopping complex from the hotel. It is well located near good shopping and dining.
We found it better to turn off the climate control since despite being on a non smoking floor, this was clearly being ignored by some guests and it was not strictly enforced by the hotel.

• Liked — great loaction, great service
  • Disliked — smokers on the non smoking floor
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ryu1974
Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We had a mixed experience, staying for 3 nights with 2 children (3 & 7). When we arrived the staff were very friendly and kept the children entertained while we checked in. We were advised of a special offer were we could upgrade our room for a minimal charge which we declined (we were tired and just wanted to get to bed!) but with hindsight I wish we'd taken it up!
The room had a funny smell - others have mentioned damp and this was my first impression. My husband thought it could just be the cleaning products but it smelt like damp. Otherwise the room was OK - spacious with 2 double beds that were comfortable and clean. The decor looked a little tired and work out but was otherwise OK.
Our biggest complaint was with the buffet in the Spice Market. After a day of sightseeing we decided to eat in the restaurant and had the buffet. There was a great range of food but our kids were tired and ate very little. Subsequently we also didn't eat a lot. When we got the bill we found that we'd been charged HK $1200 for the meal! Wildly expensive and over-priced!!!!
One hint is to try the self-serve take-away bakery on the road to the right of the hotel entrance. Cheap, delicious and a fun experience for the kids.

• Liked — Comfy beds
  • Disliked — Funny smell and expensive food
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Artteachermum
manila
Reviewed December 13, 2008

Marco Polo Prince hotel is the best budget price for me with my family because of easy access to Tsim Sha Tsui station,Nathan Road and to harbour city shopping malls which you can do shopping, eat , stroll and many more which you will not get bored. No problem if you get tired because all you have to do is to return to prince hotel without walking to the streets, the hotel is very convenient for travellers who wants to visit HK !

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank raffr
Glasgow, UK
Reviewed December 4, 2008

The rooms in this hotel are awful and nothing like the pictures that were featured in the trailfinders brochure that we booked from. They are outdated and grubby and in serious need of refurbishment. The first room we were given had a serious damp problem (no 1112) and one wall was all lumpy due to the damp on the plaster beneath, but rather than deal with the problem, the hotel had just tried to crudely cover it up with some new wallpaper. When I asked to move rooms they told me that we had been given one of their best standard rooms as we were on honeymoon (this just meant that we got a glimpse of the side of the harbour where the China Ferries dock, past an office building. In my humble opinion, not exactly a view to die for). They then showed me to another room that was the same grubby outdated decor, but at least it didn't appear to have a damp problem.

The lady who showed me to the new room told me that they have had a lot of guests complain about the rooms, but they are always busy so they don't want to close to renovate. Clearly they are only busy because of first time chumps like us who didn't realise how bad it was, and are not interested in making the hotel a nice experience so that they get repeat bookings.

This hotel is awful and I will be warning off everyone I can from staying there. I don't know what hotels the reviewer below who said this hotel was the best in the world has been staying at before, but it seems to me they are either connected with the hotel, or their review relates to a different hotel entirely.

Whilst the shopping centre attached to the hotel is nice (Harbour City), Kowloon is very frustrating if you are western, and this is not because of the locals. As you walk along the street you will see many Indian men loitering, waiting for westerners to walk past to offer copy handbags, copy watches or the services of a "British" tailor. This gets very annoying as even if you walk on the other side of the pavement and there are many local Chinese people in between you and them, they will push through to target you just because you are western and they know that you are on holiday. My hubby got so annoyed with one that kept talking at us even though it was clear that we weren't interested that he shushed him, which did not go down well. These men really spoilt our enjoyment of the place, and as there are none over on the Island, we wish we'd stayed on the other side of the harbour instead.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple