“okay but don't want to stay here again.”

Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel
Ranked #79 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 7, 2007

At the first, I booked the standard room through the asiabesthotel.com but it was too small and has no space for the extra bed,so they said the extra bed is $ 350/night but if we upgrade to the deluxe room is $650 more /night and it was include a extra bed so we did. we stayed at a deluxe room 3-19-07 thru 3-22-07 with my parent and my 2 years old son. also on 3-25-07. the twin beds were not enough for 3 and half people. so we had to ask for the extra bed. the room definately need to be updated, smells of the room like humid mold...but the location was very convienient and service of the hotel was helpful. all the furnitures are very very old...(but it doen't means antique) everything we could bear but the smell of the room was quite bothering whenever we come in. next time we will try other hotel, I do not want to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank vicmom
There are newer reviews for Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel

Reviewed March 31, 2007

I've stayed here a few times, as this is where my parents stay when on business in HK. It's a great hotel, right next to the Star Ferry in Kowloon, and is hugely cheaper than its Island counterparts. On my first visit to HK in 2001 I stayed in a hotel in North Point, which was just too far away from Central.

My only criticism on my last trip is that a school party totally took over the pool whilst I was swimming. I complained, but the staff weren't interested and didn't offer an apology - neither did the so-called responsible teachers.

Other than that, the restaurants are nice, and you are close to the Penninsula Hotel if you want to have a drink at Bar Felix and see how the other half live ;-)

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank stanton0406
Reviewed March 25, 2007

My mum and I stayed at the Marco Polo HK for 7 nights and loved it. We booked through BA website for a good rate and were also upgraded to a Harbour View Deluxe room on check in, which was spacious with a pantry room to store luggage and clothes and to make drinks, a big bathroom and a study area. The room had a beautiful view of HK Island and was a really good spot for watching the 8:00pm laser shows and the Star Ferry coming and going.

Housekeeping were excellent too, they would clean the room when they turned down the sheets at night and would always greet you. The Harbour City shopping Centre next door is very handy, as is the location of the hotel close to TST MTR and all the shops in Nathan Road, Peking Road etc.

Contrary to other reviews I read, the beds were also really comfortable and we heard no noise either. Perfect after a day's shopping and sightseeing! Concierge also kindly stored our luggage for us whilst we went to China for a short trip. PS The Chinese Restaurant at the nearby Star House does really good dim sum.

2  Thank KoalagirlNorwich
Reviewed March 21, 2007

We have just stayed at the Marco Polo Hotel Hong Kong (the biggest one of the three Marco polos in Hong Kong) and were very disappointed. Staff were rather cheeky with flippant comments, service very slow and we did not get the deluxe harbour view rooms we paid for and ordered (ours overlooked a noisy construction site!)
Many people were complaining.
We will not recommend this hotel or return.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank MrsMKent
Reviewed March 14, 2007

For a supposedly four-star hotel that charges that much, we were a little disappointed for what we paid for.

We spent about 10 days at the hotel, with a break of 4 days in the middle of the stay for a sidetrip to mainland China. The first portion of our stay (3 days) we were upgraded to a so-called "deluxe room", that is bigger than average size hotel room, but the room is sparsely furnished because of its size and the decor is a bit tired and needed some refresh, and it didn't have any view. When we returned from our mainland trip, we were given first a regular room (which is much smaller) and it was a smoking room! We had definitely requested a non-smoking room but we had to wait till the following day, and were then given an even smaller room with a very small bathroom. On top of that the bed in this room was extremely hard and we actually had to request extra bedding to make it bearable. Housekeeping came in and inserted a thin foam mattress (about an-inch thick) on top of the hard mattress that is supposed to provide a softer surface. It didn't and it made it worse because the thin foam mattress was smaller than the mattress, so the bed now was uneven around the edges!

Since both the exercise room and the pool were closed for renovation,
hotel guests had to pay out of their own pocket if they wanted to exercise in a gym near-by.

When we checked out, there were daily charges of snacks and drinks from the in-room wet-bar and fridge that we never even touched. We disputed that and they took out the charges.

The hotel location is great as mentioned in other reviews, but that is really what you pay for, the location. We have stayed in three different rooms and the rooms are average at best, service wasn't remarkable, and there is hardly any facilities provided by the hotel. I don't think it merits a four-star class rating.

Overall, I think the hotel is overpriced for the quality of the room and services that it provides.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank Pretzglico
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I was excited to go and stay at the Marco Polo HK Hotel bec it's supposedly better than Gateway. Whenever we go to HK, we stay at the Marco Polo Gateway. We were happy with the rooms/suite they gave us before. When my husband contacted the MPHK to book 2 rooms for Feb07, we were assured a free upgrade to a deluxe room. They gave us a confirmation number and all.

Upon checking in, computer showed that they accidentally CANCELLED our booking and gave away our rooms to other guests. Then they had a hard time finding us 2 rooms! After 1.5 hours in the lobby, they finally found 2 rooms for us. If we paid extra, they will give us a suite. Thinking a suite would be nice splurge, we agreed to pay extra. We ended up getting a deluxe room connected to a suite.

Having high expectations, I thought we would get nicer rooms. WE DIDN'T. Suite wasn't available till 7pm. So we got the Deluxe first. IT WAS TINY! Hardly any space to move around. around 40sqm only. They had the nerve to call it a deluxe. I wonder how the standard rooms looked.

But we were still optimistic bec we would have a Suite. But when the Suite was finally available, we were so dissapointed! It was cramped. There were so many corners/walls. The layout was weird. The couch had so much stains on it and it was so gross! I didn't want my kids to sit on it. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls and had bubbles in them. It was very dirty. Bathroom was regular. Nothing special at all. it looked like an ordinary hotel bathroom. Hardly a Suite's bathroom. Bed was like a small queen or a double! There were so much stains on the carpet, and there were even potato chips bits on the floor left by the previous guest!!! GROSS.

I really hated the room and dreaded spending time there. It was too bad that I was with a baby and toddler and we had to spend afternoons in the room for their naps.

It was also very noisy bec there was construction across the street.

On the other hand, the location is the only thing going for this hotel. It's very easy to access mall and good restos nearby. Very convenient that it's near Star Ferry to go to Central, 7-11, Starbucks, Grocery, etc. We had a semi Harbour View.

Aside from James at the Front Desk, all the rest of the staff were very nice, helpful and pleasant. Mr. Raymond Lao, the manager, was also very nice and tried to remedy the situation.

I'm NEVER staying in this hotel. Not worth the money. We should have stayed in Gateway or maybe in a hotel in Causeway Bay for lesser cost.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank Charlene C
Reviewed February 21, 2007

Because of staying in the hotel for one week my travel agency had guaranteed an upgrade to a suite. At checkin they gave me a harbour room without any comment. Never stayed in a suite. So I realized the situation not till the last day. The management told me that my room had the same value than a suite - which is not true. At the end I didn't have to pay for 5 breakfasts. Not at all a real compensation.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo