“Very clean & great location”

Novotel Century Hong Kong
Ranked #115 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Perth, Australia
“Very clean & great location”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I would definitely stay here again & I'm really fussy.
The staff were very helpful. We were able to check in before the check in time which was a bonus as it was 8.30am in the morning.
Rooms were very clean, towels changed daily. The bed was extremely comfortable.
Hotel bar buzzin' in the evening with again great service.
Free wifi in hotel reception was a bonus.
Great location. You wouldn't know it was near to the red light district. I only found out by looking at a previous review after my stay.
Only 5minutes walk to the Star ferry to Kowloon.
My only complaint would be the size of the rooms but I'm told this is typical size for asian hotels.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel to celebrate the new year with friends and partner. The hotel is nothing spectacular but the lobby is clean and it seems to be filled with so many people during the day who are using the free WiFi. Every morning, there are luggages tied together. I am aware of this though and it is not a problem at all.

Check-in was done quite slow even if there were only four of us there. I'd like to use a 1:30AM arrival as an excuse but it seems things go very slow and unsure.

The concierge desk is unmanned at night but there are pamphlets and maps readily laid out to take away. After dealing with the concierge for the next couple of days, it would be better if they leave the desk unmanned. So far, all four bellhops/concierge I've dealt with were very unhelpful and quite snooty about helping. They conveyed that feeling of "I rather not be here", "You are interrupting my conversation with the other bellhop", "Why can't you speak Cantonese yourself?" And they did this with such panache that I doubt I caught them on the wrong week. Don't get me wrong, I love casual and friendly service. But in the absence of friendly, I expect professionalism. Sadly, it is lacking. Seriously, since all I have seen are guests lugging their bags down and up the hotel and all the porters do are loop an elastic rope around the luggage, just get rid of these unhelpful department. Oh and they are not exactly very good with restaurant recommendations. A lot of "uhmm" and "aaahhs" and all I asked for was an excellent yumcha restaurant anywhere within the MTR network.

Rooms were ample in size but really hard to manoeuvre around. I'm not a big person, in fact, I weigh 65 kilos but the rooms felt claustrophobic and I had to do a sideway crab walk between the beds and desk and windows. The carpets are not very clean. Because I do floor exercises in the morning, there are a lot of remnants from previous guests that I saw. Maybe it was my fault for not doing these exercises at the gym... but I did..and I will get to that later. Tip: place several tissues on the carpet to protect your face if you ever feel like doing pushups.

Bathroom/toilet was not really cleaned well. There was a layer of dust on the sink counter, a dark chocolate brown stain in the toilet bowl (quite gross) and the shower curtain began to smell after the 2nd day. Bring your own toiletries as well. I still don't understand why there are still hotels who puts out a shampoo-conditioner vial. It's one or the other. The two together do not work! Towels are fresh and new though so that's something good.

About the fitness centre, I love it when I see the personal trainer reading the newspaper facing the wall when I am working out. The equipment are sufficient but there are wear and tear obvious in most of them. The pool...ahhh the pool. When I booked this hotel in April, it was because I wanted to be able to squeeze in swimming everyday. And yes, there is an outdoor pool but the day after our arrival, a letter was left in the room saying that the pool will be under renovation from the 1st of January! The letter was distributed on the 31 Dec! It is very poor form.

In fact, all correspondences from the General Manager's office were ill-timed. Pest control was done pretty much on the day the letter was handed out. I can't remember though if it was this hotel that sent a correspondence about window washing... This is not really important because it does not impact one's stay all that much.

The location is good though. Wan Chai is the red light district of the Hong Kong island but it is not that seedy as all the other Asian countries. It's about a 10 to 15 minute walk to Causeway Bay and about 20 to Admiralty. It's also two blocks away from the Wan Chai MTR and the Star Ferry is about a 5 minute walk. And the Chinese restaurant located at the basement of the hotel serves one of the best Shanghainese cuisine in Hong Kong.

Would I stay here again? After this experience (first time in a Novotel), I will have to shun all Novotels. Very average rooms and absolutely terrible service.

Room Tip: Ask for the harbour view room even if you have to see the harbour between buildings. The city "...