“Terrible soundproofing ruined stay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Hong Kong North Point

Ibis Hong Kong North Point
Ranked #156 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“Terrible soundproofing ruined stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was very disappointed with my stay at Ibis Hong Kong North Point - so much so that I had to cut short my stay there and move to a different hotel after two nights (an inconvenient process).

This was owing to the frankly ridiculous decision by the Ibis management to choose doors which BANG shut incredibly loudly. Hence every time someone on my corridor entered their room the door would bang and wake me up. This wrecked my sleep and ruined my HK trip. All the management need to do is install something on the doors which would make them bang less loudly. The walls were also extremely thin and I could hear conversations next door / above me.

Other cons: tatty décor, room not entirely clean (smears and flecks of unidentified matter on walls), sheets with holes in that didn't cover duvet properly, a loo which was almost impossible to flush and a generally strange smell coming from the bathroom.

To be fair on the plus side: the staff were friendly, the actual sheets / towels were clean and the bed was comfortable.

What I find most irritating above all is that after being forced out mid-stay by sleep deprivation, I have not been granted any type of refund whatsoever because I booked through a travel agent. I believe it is fair for no refund to be granted if the guest decides to leave early to e.g. catch an earlier flight, but when the quality of the guest's stay is so fundamentally ruined by the awful soundproofing then a lack of any refund (even partial) is sorely disappointing.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank G S
Manager_INP, Manager at Ibis Hong Kong North Point, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the ibis Hong Kong North Point. I am sorry that your experience with the sound proofing and the loud doors ruined your stay with us; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
ibis North Point Hong Kong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I've been a regular guest at this well-located hotel for the last three years and over half a dozen visits later, have yet to find any fault with the place. If you seek old world charm or new world glamour, or indeed acres of space, by all means move along to the hotels offering those at three or four times the price. Here, the emphasis is on courtesy, cleanliness and convenience faultlessly delivered in minimalist yet comfortable surroundings. They excel in the basics at a price impossible to beat within its range; the jaw-dropping harbour view alone worth ten times the bargain room rates.

Room Tip: Definitely worth paying the slight bit extra for a harbour view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Aga2011London
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind review, it is really nice to read that you are very satisfied with our hotel and services. We are very much looking forward to welcome you back!
Best regards,
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I really enjoyed my 2-night stay at Ibis! The room was very clean and the view I had was very nice. As some people have already mentioned, the North Point metro station is about 4 or 5 shops down the same side of the street, so quite convenient. Also, the service is excellent. I came back to my room one evening, exhausted after a long day of exploring, and discovered that they had made sure to leave the lights and A/C on! As you normally need to insert your room card in order to power on everything, they had stuck a coffee stirrer in the slot instead. I was very pleasantly surprised. Also, one morning, I needed some help and when I approached the cleaning lady, she came immediately and solved my problem with a friendly attitude. It was also very nice plus that the concierge was willing to hold my luggage for the day, as I had to check out that afternoon, but my plane didn't leave until later in the evening. Overall, I would definitely return to this hotel again and recommend it to other travelers.

1 Thank blubei
Manager_INP, Manager at Ibis Hong Kong North Point, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind review, I really appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences with the TripAdvisor Community. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back.
Kind regards,
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Proximity to subway (literally 20m from the hotel) is a big plus, you reach Central HK or TST in less than 20 mins, no hassle. Staff was extremely helpful & friendly. I didn't take breakfast, so can't comment on that but i had lunch at the hotel restaurant at that was more than ok and very reasonably priced. Another plus for me is that the curtains in the rooms can fully darken the room, which is great of you want to sleep in.

Small rooms but this is HK. Only drawback was the sound insulation which was nearly non-existing so it really depends on your luck if you have a quiet neigbour.

1 Thank Hans V
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis Hong Kong North Point. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

ibis North Point Hong Kong
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I really liked this hotel in terms of its location, cleanliness and value for money. However I did not have a decent night's sleep during my stay due to the fact that the beds are rock hard. I don't mind a firm bed but this was something else. On a number of occasions I woke during the night with an aching neck and painful ears believe it or not.
In response to previous complaints the manager had stated that they are getting quotes to install new beds but that was back in May so why is it taking so long?
If the beds are replaced I would go back without a shadow of doubt.

Tip - don't use the hotels laundry service simply turn right when you come out of the hotel and then first right again you will then see a traditional Chinese laundry that does the job for a fraction of the price and to a high standard,

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank William B
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your review, I am glad that you liked our hotel overall.
Please accept my apologies for the bed, it is correct that we have been working on their replacement. In fact the supplier has been selected already and we are aiming to carry out the project in the next few months. For the time being, please feel free to request our mattress tops at the reception.
Thank you very much again and best regards,
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located at North Point where it is right opposite the A11 airport bus terminal at North Point Pier. There are also plenty of buses from the same terminal and nearby stops to get to most tourist attractions. MTR station is also a few steps away.

In terms of room size, it is extremely small so this hotel is not suitable if you expect a decent sized room. However it is clean and provides all basic amenities.

Service was great. They were very approachable by Email and they do have baggage storage facilities after you check out.

Had not tried hotel's food. Why would you anyway when there are so much cheap delicious food close to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you liked our location, it is indeed very convenient to discover the city from where we are, bus A11 is certainly a great option from and to the airport.
Many thanks again and we are looking forward to welcome you back.
Best regards,