“Nice views of Victoria Harbour”

Ibis Hong Kong North Point
Ranked #158 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong
“Nice views of Victoria Harbour”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Unless you are willing to spend HKD2000 to HKD5000 for a big room with view of the Victoria Harbour from The Peninsula, The Intercontinental, Four Seasons, The Ritz or The Sheraton then Ibis North Point is really a great choice.

The rooms are small and utilitarian. It is a place for tourists and business people to park their bags and get some zzz's, meaning the guest will only be in the room for a third of the day, So the bed occupies most of the room's floor area. There is a table that runs the width of the room. The plasma TV is wall mounted and does not have a great selection of cable channels, Viewing is not comfortable because the TV is off center and too high. There is wifi, but it is slow. You are better off using one of the two PCs in the lobby if you want to fire off an urgent email. The shower has good water pressure and is well lit and well ventilated.

Ibis is part of the Accor global hotel chain and will not shortchange the guest when it comes to the standards by which it maintains its rooms. So as expected, the sheets are pressed and smelling oh-so-clean. The room is clean and so is the toilet and bath. Towels are fluffy and sterile smelling.

It does not have a gym or pool but for the price of staying at that property, it is a great bargain.

The location is not in the popular districts of Wan Chai, Causeway Bay, Central, Tsim Sha Tsui, Mongkok or Jordan. But all these places can be easily reached, rain or shine via the North Point MTR station which is less than 100 steps to the west of the front door of the hotel. There is also a bus terminal dab smack in front of the hotel if one chooses to try that mode of transport.

There is an in house restaurant, but there are lots of choices around the hotel, ranging from 7-Eleven, to tea houses (cha-cha-teng), to fast food outlets like Fairwood, McDonalds, Cafe De Coral, to full service Chinese restaurants.

From the airport, take the Airport Express train to Hong Kong station, and transfer (by walking within the MTR station) to the Blue Line and take it to North Point. No fuss. No frills.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view room. Higher floors are better, because the views are better and quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Capt Mark O
Manager_INP, Manager at Ibis Hong Kong North Point, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind review, it is great to read that you were satisfied with the value we offer. Your comments will gladly be shared with the Team and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back!
Adam Hipp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

First of all, I think travelers need to realize that Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated areas of the world, with an overall density of 6,300 people per sq. kilometer. Space is always going to be an issue, unless you are willing to stay farther out, like in the New Territories.

My six-year-old son and I came to visit relatives in Hong Kong and none of my relatives had any room for us, because they live in flats the size of my living room, with as many as 4 people living in the flat, so we stayed at this hotel for 12 nights. Many of the reviews mention the small size of the room, but if you look at how the locals live, I think it is quite standard. My 11-year-old cousin came up to our room and thought the room was quite beautiful, if that gives you any idea of how locals live.

We didn't have too much contact with the front desk, but I did ask one day if there was a place in the hotel where I could wash my clothes. I was told "no" and not provided any additional information. That's when I went to the massage studio located on the first floor next to the elevators and asked the lady there the same question when I was getting a massage later that day. She told me about a laundry service around the corner from the hotel, where it was cheap to have clothes washed. She told me not to use the laundry service in the alley next to the hotel because they had too much business and wouldn't get my laundry done. This lady turned out to be the co-owner of the massage place and she was extremely helpful. She gave me all kinds of tips about the neighborhood. During our stay, I got 3 massages because I had been carrying a heavy backpack almost every day and my shoulders were killing me. My son got 3 foot massages because he walked so much his feet hurt and he wouldn't walk any farther. The massage prices were very good and this place was the best thing about the hotel. I only knew about this place because I picked up a flyer from the ground floor when I was waiting for the elevator. In my opinion, the hotel should have flyers for this service in every room. If more guests knew about the massage studio, they would take advantage of this service and enjoy their stay a lot more, thereby focusing less on the size of the room. In fact, we got to know the ladies at the massage place so well that we stopped there our last night in Hong Kong and just chatted with them. They looked after my son while I ran to pick up laundry and buy fruit. The massage studio was the best thing about the hotel!

The daily cleaning of the room was fine and the maids were very courteous when we saw them in the hallway. We stayed in 1702 and the mini-fridge and the kettle in the room were life savers. I forgot to let the hotel know that the mini-fridge had a water leak inside, but I'm sure they would have taken care of it if I would have said something. We tried to eat at the restaurant a few times, but couldn't find anything that was suitable for my son, plus I thought it was overpriced, considering that I could just go to a restaurant in the neighborhood and pay a lot less. There needs to be wait time added when using the elevators because of all the going and coming, especially in the mornings when everyone is checking out or heading out for the day and in the evenings when everyone is returning. We used the stairs a few times because we didn't want to wait. During the quiet times, there is no wait for the elevators, so it's really all about timing.

As for the other things about the hotel, the location was great! You literally walk 15 seconds from the front door of the hotel to the MTR stop. The bus terminus is about a 3 minute walk and you can take a Citybus A11 directly to the airport. There are lots of restaurants in the area, a grocery store just around the corner, ATMs nearby (also in the MTR station), and a lively street market just around the corner, where you can buy fresh fruit, cheap clothes and shoes. Some of the reviews say that it is too far from the tourist attractions, but I count this as a plus. In previous years, I have stayed in the Tsim Sha Tsui area, where many tourists stay and I can safely say after staying at North Point, I would NOT want to stay in Tsim Sha Tsui again. In fact, we took the MTR over to Tsim Sha Tsui to visit the museums, walk along the promenade, etc. and it was SOOOOO crowded, touristy, and overpriced. I was so glad to come back to the hotel at night, where I knew I could pay regular prices for food and get away from the throngs of tourists.

We will be staying at this hotel again for our next visit to Hong Kong!

Room Tip: If looking outside the window and getting a view is important to you, pay the extra for a harbor vie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_INP, Manager at Ibis Hong Kong North Point, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind review, I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in ibis North Point. Also, many thanks for sharing your view about space in general in Hong Kong, I believe it summarizes very well the situation.
I will be glad to share your review with the owner of the massage shop, I am confident that she will be very pleased to read your kind comments.
Similarly, your comments will be shared with my colleagues in the hotel and we will do our utmost to improve where necessary. A special thanks for the info regarding the fridge, we will fix it.
Again, thank you very much for your comments and we are looking forward to welcome you back.
Best regards.
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed in Ibis Hotel, North Point for seven nights, from August 5 and checked out on August 12, 2013.
The staff are welcoming and efficient, check in took me about a minute. Although I booked a single harbour view room, I was put in a double room for the price of a single as the double rooms were all occupied. The room was rather small (which is fair anyway, given that this is Hong Kong and space comes at a premium) but very clean and everything worked perfectly - the shower, house keeping service, safe deposit box, the fridge and very importantly, in the brutal August heat and humidity, the air conditioning system. The wi-fi connection was equally very good; the hotel also has two computers for customer use opposite the reception area.
The hotel is not very near Central Hong Kong, but transport is abundant, the MTR line which runs directly to Central HK is a few paces from the hotel and there is a bus station with links to Central Hong Kong just opposite the hotel.
I had breakfast in the restaurant the day I checked out, the food was great and the selection was wide, from noodles, scrambled and boiled eggs, bacon, frankfurters, toast, orange juice, tea, coffee, fruit, breakfast cereal; it was a very good deal for HKD 61 (including a 10% service tax.) The full breakfast is served from 6.30 to 10.30 a.m.
The hotel is in an area - North Point - that is bustling with activity, and there are many shops, most which remain open late into the night, selling clothes, shoes and for foodies, a very wide selection of food, from fast food at the McDonald's and KFC to traditional Chinese fare.
The only shortcoming in this hotel is the lift/ elevator; there's only two of them and the hotel has about 30 floors, excluding floors 3 through 6 which the lift doesn't serve. (Guest rooms run from floor 7; floor 1 is the reception and 2 is the restaurant.)
Given the generally high cost of accomodation in Hong Kong, the hotel is very well priced, and I found it to be an excellent bargain for limited-budget decent accommodation of good standard. (I am a budget traveller, so the five-star experience is not what I look for.) All in all, I'll definitely stay in this hotel whenever I visit Hong Kong!

Room Tip: If looking for a non-smoking room, choose the higher floors as most are non-smoking. The harbour v...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Moronge O
Manager_INP, Manager at Ibis Hong Kong North Point, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind review, your comments will gladly be shared with the Team. I am sure they will find it very encouraging as we strive to provide a great value service for our Clients. Thank you very much again and best regards,
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had a room overlooking Kowloon and the distant mountains which was very nice to wake upto each morning. The room was clean and had a nice bathroom but the bed was a bit hard for my liking. Staff are very friendly and breakfast in the morning was nice. Good location for the ferry to Kowloon and nearby shopping areas, on the whole a pleasant stay in a great city

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lockwood17
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review, it has been great to read that you enjoyed your days with us. I am sorry however about the bed, please note that soft mattress toppers are available upon request in our hotel.
Thank you very much again and we are looking forward to welcome you back to ibis North Point Hong Kong.
Sydney
Reviewed August 10, 2013

we stayed here in April 2013 as a family - 2 kids and 2 adults. Hired 2 rooms next to each others.
after reading the reviews we were expecting hard beds - when expectations are set low the actual result is not too bad :) Staff is friendly and very efficient. I'd also have to say I was surprised how spotless clean the rooms were. Views over the harbour were a bonus as well - although the weather was murky so couldn't see much.

Location is superb - close to MTR and buses - we've used both daily. We haven't had breakfast at the hotel so can't comment on the food. We went to a local Chinese place downstairs serving yum-cha / noodles etc. 1/2 min away from the hotel - they don't speak English very well, but food is very nice and authentic.

Note that the standard rooms and bathrooms are TINY! I was told by my husband that by Hong Kong standard this is normal for the price you pay. Its something to note if you haven't stayed in Hong Kong before as it might come as a surprise. Also after reading other reviews I expected a small room not a tiny one :) it wasn't a problem for us at all, as we barely spend time there. We've actually found it quite amusing in the end and have a bit of a laugh about it now and then: 2 people couldn't walk past each other around the bed, and when we had kids in our room (which was every morning) - we really had to plan who can stand up form the bed and walk sequentially with everyone needing to announce where they are going! I suppose a lot of people live in rooms of these sizes so it was a bit of a humbling experience for the kids (and us :))

all in all we've enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: do not to get a room on top floors - we were on level 22, and one day spent 15min waiting for the li...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelTheWorld44
Manager_INP, Manager at Ibis Hong Kong North Point, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind review, I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the size of the room. I trust we can welcome you back very soon!
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here last Aug. 3 to 6. The location of this hotel is very near the mtr and the bus station. Took the A11 bus which terminates across the hotel so it is very convenient if you are not taking the airport exress which cost 100 hkd for one way. The room is really small but it is okay considering the price of the hotel room. We were able to use the store luggage facility while we had lunch at the nearby Family Kitchen restaurant. Staff are nice and speaks English. I was worried of the review about the bed being hard to sleep on but it was okay and having bed bites but the bes is okay and clean, but they should change their pillow thou because it is very thin and not fluffy, other than that my experience with the hotel is great and I will definitely stay here again. It could have been nice if i asked for Mr. Adam Hipp to meet him personally since he has been the one replying to our reviews hahaha!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank gerieve
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind review, it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I trust next time we will have the chance to meet personally.
Many thanks again and kind regards,