“Canadian Traveller”

Ranked #159 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Toronto, Ontario
“Canadian Traveller”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

On arrival the staff treated me with courteous, friendly and efficient service.

The room was modestly sized (as is the norm in HK) but it was clean and well appointed with a panoramic view of the bustling harbour.

The buffet breakfast was fairly priced with a selection of food to satisfy most
diets.

The hotel location is adjacent to the North Point MTR station which makes for easy access to anywhere downtown.

There are two computers near the front desk for the exclusive use of hotel guests.

I frequently travel through Hong Kong and since I found out about the North Point Ibis it has been my hotel of choice. In my opinion it is by far the best value for a reasonable price.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Manager_INP, Manager at Ibis Hong Kong North Point, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Greetings from Hong Kong and many thanks for your comments. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your days at our ibis North Point hotel, please rest assured that your kind review will gladly be shared with my Team.
We are all looking forward to welcome you back to ibis North Point!
Adam Hipp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I got a very good deal for a room with a harbor view. I got a room mid-way up. The view is fantastic as there is only a bus yard and a expressway between the hotel and the ferry to Kowloon (not TST). You can see the boats departing. GET A HARBOR VIEW ROOM!
The room was pleasantly larger than I expected, with a single bed. For the price, this room size is perfectly acceptable for 1 person. There was no alcove to store luggage. Your best bet is to store it under the desk, so you can't have more than a few pieces of luggage. There was a locked door leading to the adjacent room. A snoring noise from next door can come through the gaps in the door; otherwise I found the location and the floor to be quiet at night.
The air con seemed to be stuck at cool to cold - great for a hong kong summer, but it rained and was definitely chilly while I was there.
The en-suite bathroom was not as small as I had feared. You do NOT step from the shower into a toilet bowl. The bathroom may be too small for a wheelchair user, and despite the shower area being lower than the rest of the bathroom, water will splash onto the bathroom floor - USE CAUTION, IT CAN BE SLIPPERY!
There was a wi-fi upgrade going on during my stay. According to my wi-fi settings, signal strength was excellent in my room, but the bandwidth was probably not large enough for all the users. I continually timed-out and gave up and used either of the two desktops in the reception area - no Firefox, only Chrome and IE. The slow wi-fi was my only disappointment with this hotel. The 2 elevators can be slow - I followed others advice and used the service elevator. Staff is supportive - answering your questions, but not chatty friendly. There is no self service laundry, and there was no microwave - so I couldn't make popcorn. There is coffee/tea maker in the room. There is a restaurant on floor 2, though its not a traditional Cantonese restaurant. 7-11 is just down the road on Java, and another one is around the corner. There is a small Wellcome grocery store around the corner, and a larger Wellcome "SuperStore" a few blocks away on King's Road. At this store, after normal business day hours, deli like hot items are sold at up to 20% discount. Offerings include fried rice, slices of smoked and barbeque meats, and sushi.
The MTR station is very close. There is an exit (A1) which takes you to no more than 1/2 block from the hotel entrance. If you look at Google Street View for 138 Java Road (hotel location), and you scan right, you will see the entrance/exit for A1 to the MTR station - there is a MTR logo above the entrance - you could easily walk by!. You will be covered from the elements, but will need to walk up some stairs. IT will take a few minutes from Java Road through the corridor to the fare gates. Two blocks down is King's Road. There are buses to Central and, in the opposite direction to Unv. of Hong Kong. The fabled trams are also on King's Road. The area is noisy/ busy - mostly local people, but not tourist congested like TST. You can take the airbus A11 to/from the airport to the hotel area. Taking the MTR to TST will require a ride to Central, then a longish walk through the station to the connecting train which goes under the Harbor. Alternative is a bus that goes through the Cross Harbor Tunnel and up Nathan Road - but NOT during rush hour! I would recommend this hotel, but realizing that it is NOT located in TST or near Nathan Road. Central or Lan Kwai Fung are not close, but the shopping area of Causeway Bay is via MTR.
You activate the lights and air-con by sticking your room access card in a little holder on the wall by the entrance.

Room Tip: Get a room with a harbor view! If you are learning Chinese, request the morning Chinese newspaper as...
1 Thank ozzieinsf
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thorough review, I am sure that the TripAdvisor Community will find it extremely useful as I did. Please be assured that your remark concerning the bathroom floor is well noted and we have introduced dedicated bath maths in each guest rooms.
Again, thank you very much for your kind comments and we are looking forward to welcome you back to ibis North Point.
Kind regards,
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights and was glad I chose this hotel. Location is convenient with excellent transport links for MTR, trams, buses. It is 1 min away from the MTR North Point station, 4-5 stops away from the Central, the same line, convenient for interconnections if you exploring HK as a tourist and going to such places as Tai sin temple, 10 thousand buddhas monastery, etc. There is bus station and bus A11 takes you to and from airport (the bus has fix timetable and strictly followes it). If you are a tourists it is nice to take a tram (the stop is ab 5-7 min walk from the hotel) that takes you to the Admiralty or Central. It's a nice experience to have a ride on these 2-levels old-fashioned trams and price is only 0,20 HK dollar. The location is excellent in terms of many authentic cafes and dim-sum restaurants in vicinity. The dim-sums are delicious there and really cheap but staff not necessary speaks English. I had lunch and dinner in 2 different places nearby the hotel and both times the meal was excellent. Good alternative to the hotel breakfast! breakfast in the hotel is not bad, simple but all you won't leave the hotel hungry though it is unvaried and boring to have for several days in a row.
Rooms are clean and new. Of course, there is little space but suprisignly it is compact and fits everything you might need, inck hairdryer and small fridge. I was alone and had double room, it was ok for me but I guess would be too little space for 2 people. I very much enjoyed the harbour view from the window. I didnt experienced problems with the elevators as other people are compaining in their reviews). Wifi works everywhere in the hotel and its speed is good. In general, the hotel is very good value for money.

Room Tip: Harbour view room on the higher floors (20-32 floors) have splendid views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Manager_INP, Manager at Ibis Hong Kong North Point, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell about your days at our ibis North Point Hotel. Your review is much appreciated and I am sure that the TripAdvisor Community will find it very useful.
Your kind comments will gladly be shared with the Team of the hotel and we are all looking forward to welcome you back to our property.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Ibis North Point is my favorite hotel in Hong Kong. I stay here every time I'm in the city. Despite being super cheap, the staff is very friendly and the rooms are clean. The location is convenient, with buses, ferries, and subway all within walking distance. Note that depending on your standards (e.g. if you're North American) the rooms may be a little small.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind comments, it is great to read that ibis North Point Hong Kong is your favorite choice when traveling to our city.
We trust we can welcome you back soon!
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Booked one night on 8 Mar. From the airport, a direct bus straight to the North Point Bus Terminal, which is just opposite the hotel!

Checked in was swift and I had a harbor view, which was very nice! I have stayed in this hotel a few times and I have always enjoyed the stay.

The room is not big but comfortable for 2. Location is great as it is just besides the North Point MTR station. A lot of eating places near the hotel as well. Weekend morning market is great way of seeing the locals living their lives and its just around the corner from the hotel.

To some, it may be far from the main shopping places, but it is well connected by the subway and the price is reasonable.

I have been back and I will be back again!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sawbear1608
Manager_INP, Manager at Ibis Hong Kong North Point, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind comments, I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your days at ibis North Point. A special thanks for your loyalty, we really appreciate your continuous support!
We are very much looking forward to welcome you back!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We were surprised to find the room so small, but to be honest it had everything we needed compacted into such a small space. The double bed was smaller than normal but neither of us are very tall or broad so we were quite snug. The staff were really helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good. The location was a little bit out of the way, but it was almost next door to the MTR North Point entrance. Rooms were clean. Wi-fi was good. The only criticism was that they could do with another lift as we were always waiting for one of them to come down from the 31st floor!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Good value. Location conveniently above the MTR, ~15 minutes to Central. Room was tiny, but that's HK (and I think good value given the price). Bed seemed crazy firm but I slept very well. Highly impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel, and was amazed at the way housekeeping tidied my room: rather than just make the bed and clean the bathroom, they also straightened my luggage, shoes and shopping that had been strewn about!
I thought North Point might be a little too far away from Central, but I would definitely stay here again!

Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind comments, I am sure that our housekeeping will be very proud of your remarks. I was also very glad to read that you found our hotel good value for money.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to ibis North Point.