“Fantastic hotel, but not very central.”

Hotel Jen Hong Kong
Ranked #60 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic hotel, but not very central.”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I'd never stayed in Hong Kong before so I wasn't too familiar with what the best areas to stay in were. However, I've travelled lots and knew that wherever my hotel was I'd be able to get myself around no worries.
I got a fantastic deal on Hotwire for an anonymous hotel, which I found out to be Traders. Upon arrival I upgraded to a 26th floor room with harbour views and club lounge benefits (I highly recommend!!) and the views were amazing!!
Room itself was a generous size especially since I'd read that Hong Kong is notorious for tiny cramped hotel rooms.
Bathroom has a large shower and seperate toilet. Vanity is also seperate, almost doubling as a kitchenette. Wise use of space I think, it can still be sectioned off from the rest of the room using a roller door, which normally just blends in as part of the wall when not being used, so privacy is not compromised.
All sorts of toiletries and amenities in the room made me feel like it was very thoughtful, such as travel adapters, and hair ties.
Rooftop pool has great views, although it is just a rooftop pool not a resort pool.
Club lounge benefits include breakfast and canapés and cocktails in the evening. Great selection of food, fantastic views.
Location: probably a downside for most people. If u come to HK simply to shop-til-u-drop at the major malls and want to step from your hotel door into a shopping centre then you're in the wrong spot. However if you've come to enjoy everything that HK has to offer then you can really save a bit by staying here. The hotel offers free shuttle buses to the major ferry wharfs and mtr (train) lines on Hong Kong island. This made it really simple for me to move between HK island and Kowloon. If I was too late for the shuttles or didn't want to wait for the next then it was easy to jump on the tramcar (which is dirt cheap) and walk one or two short blocks. The area is slightly less touristy and more authentic in my opinion. It's stil in quite a busy area and feels very safe.

Overall: if you don't mind being a little bit 'down the road' and like the sound of relatively 'cheap' accommodation without compromising any quality or comfort then I would definitely recommend this hotel.

I paid $400aud for 3 nights. On arrival I paid $200aud extra to upgrade to a 26th floor harbour view room, daily buffet breakfast, and club lounge benefits including canapés and cocktails between 5.30-7.30pm (great selection!). All up that is $200aud per night, which for the views and benefits I think is a fantastic price!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Alibozza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
North Carolina
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Recently stayed at Traders Hong Kong during a week-long visit to tour the city. I chose this hotel because I had Golden Circle points to use for part of my stay before they expire, and I trusted the nice reviews I read beforehand. This hotel was excellent for our stay. The location is actually nice because it's in an authentic neighborhood that's bustling with locals...gives you a sense of the true residential lifestyle. And while it's not right in the heart of the action, the hotel provides a shuttle to the central area, which was very convenient and easy to use. We had a standard superior city view room that was spacious enough, comfortable, and very clean. The bathroom was a decent size as well. A few additional perks were the complimentary bottled waters each day and the free wifi...although it was very slow, but good enough. The service was top notch. Everyone at the front desk was always very helpful, polite, and answered all of our questions with a smile. The restaurant onsite was also a very nice convenience. Our breakfast was included in our room rate, so we took advantage of the wonderful selections they offered, including pancakes, omelettes, cereals, and traditional chinese soups. We also had dinner a couple of nights, and the western menu options were wonderful. The shuttle bus to/from the airport is door-to-door service and very convenient and reasonably priced. However, it your flight arrives early enough in the evening, you can easliy catch the airport express to the airport express station then take the free hotel shuttle van to Traders. Even if you miss the hotel shuttle, a taxi from the station to the hotel is only about $30HKD (about $4 USD!) The only issue we had was with the air quality in our room...we woke up sweating some nights and felt as though we couldn't breathe. But, we had trouble with the air quality in Hong Kong in general, so I think it was only the high humidity factor. Overall, the Traders hotel is an excellent place to stay in Hong Kong for a great value. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank travels4jen
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night as I was fed up with Shenzhen. Couldn't be happier with the hotel for the price. We had a club harbour view room and it was worth the extra for the view. If you're on the club floors you can check in at the club lounge, also a nice perk given the queue at the main reception. There's a cocktail hour with free drinks in the lounge and a fantastic view from up on the 28th floor. The room itself wasn't huge but was well appointed and comfortable with a good view out onto the harbour. The staff just couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable. We asked about the Jumbo restaurant top deck and within a few minutes Guchi had made us a reservation, written down all the information and sorted out a taxi. There is also a shuttle bus service in the morning to catch the airport express or you can pay 120 HKD and go to the airport directly. And all for the same price you'd pay in the airport hotel. Looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Go for a harbour view club room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mortalmerlin
Inkberrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

On a family holiday so we thought we'd stop in Hong Kong to visit. The hotel was very good. We used the pool and gym on the 29th floor which was an experience I won't forget. It was amazing to see the other high-rise buildings around us when standing/swimming on that top floor. The location of the hotel is also good if you like food. It's located on Queen's Road West alongside very good Chinese food places and also very near MacDonalds (if you like that). There is a tram nearby that goes all around the city and we also used the hotel's minibus to go to the airport and Central (for ferry crossing and the metro).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Julez_2
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This was a business trip and my first time in Hong Kong. The facilities at the hotel were entirely satisfactory and staff excellent. The location is great if you prefer being amongst the locals. I certainly did. A very easy and inexpensive tram or cab ride into CBD.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view room. For a little extra you get a gobsmacking vista.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank Warren B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Traders HK is ina great location that feels like real HK. Surrounded by shops , businesses and restaurants of all descriptions.Most open very late. Lots of hole in the wall type cafes also.Only saw one bar as such but didn't venture in.
We had a club room with lounge access.The lounge isn't as large as some other Traders but is fine.The staff are very attentive and good. A good happy (couple) of hours with free canapes and a good selection of drinks.
The breakfast we took in Cafe Mallaca which is light and airy with a modern feel with a teak floor. Usual wide variety of breakfast items. Dim sum. various congees, soups, fruits. english breakfast, croissants , chinese pastries etc.You are never rushed and i took to going down early before my wife and daughter and just reading the papers and drinking tea.No problem whatsoever and as stated no rush to get you from your table.
The hotel shuttle is good and you just turn up without having to book. Frequent and efficient.
The ding ding tram is just around the corner and a superb cheap way of seeing the city and people watching.
The room was small but superbly planned out with all you could want for a short break.
All in all a great location and a good hotel from the Traders group.

Room Tip: Pay extra for club access.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Mancunia_11
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great place to stay in the real Hong Kong.All staff could not have been more helpful. Strongly recommend breakfast ,sets you up for a busy day sightseeing.Rooms reasonable size and spotless don't need any bathroom stuff its all there from bathrobe to slippers. Free shuttle bus big help.There in the rainy season but hotel even supplies umbrella

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple