“Premium stay at economy price”

Hotel Jen Hong Kong
Ranked #62 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Newcastle, Australia
“Premium stay at economy price”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Loved my stay at Traders Hotel Hong Kong. It was definately my pick of the three hotels I stayed in on my visit. All the staff where so hospitable, especially the staff at Restaurant/ Cafe Melacca. The food was beautiful and very well priced. I had no need to leave the Hotel to eat. Having a pool was also fantastic due to the incredible humidity in Hong Kong and the veiw from the pool area across the Harbour is a must, if not for a swim, for photo opportunity. My room compared with my stay at other hotels was quite large and comfortably appointed and very clean. I cannot fault my stayin the hotel, however, the location is not as exciting and conveinient as say, Wan Chai district for a Hong Kong Island experience. But, if you are on business and need to access Kowloon, it is very easy and the hotel was fantastic at organising free transfers on their shuttle bus and taxis. I will be using Traders Hotel again on my returns to Hong Kong!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mountainside, New Jersey
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed for a total of 2 weeks. Clean & modern, very good maintenance! Not very happy in the first week as our room was on a floor that basically looked at apartments in other buildings, we requested a room on a higher level but the staff hinted that the highest level they could offer was 10th floor as we booked through a travel agency, my guess was because the rate is lower. The truth is, the rate was only slightly lower than the rate we found on the internet, but we used the travel agency as they also handled our other itinerary. Considering the length of stay, and that we paid everything upfront, I think we deserved better. Anyway, after the first week of stay, I left a comment before we left for other Asian countries, and glad to see the management listen when we came back for another week. Our room was ready and located on a higher floor which at least offered a better view.

A decent gym and a pool with great view. Fair size room with a lot of details which could only be found in a 5 star hotel, especially the lighting system.

Didn't try all their restaurants as there were so many choices around the area. Fast food restaurants, dim sum, noodles and congee, seafood restaurants, Hong Kong style cafe, etc.. We like to try local food when we travel. We did stop by their Malaysian Restaurant, good food.

Taking a tram is the best way for travel to and from the hotel, bus is also only a couple of minutes away. Their shuttle is perfect for taking the Airport train or subway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

This was just a single night's stay but we made the most of it. We had to be near HK university though would probably prefer to be a little bit further East on the Island. However it's a lovely hotel with top quality rooms (good hot water pressure too) and very quiet air con (for once). Excellent breakfasts and helpful concierge staff who made sure we got to where we needed to go. Would definitely return for longer if
possible. Oh and another rarity: reliable free wifi!

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Early into my stay but a good start..clean, modern; roof pool with great view, friendly staff..but the reason for this , a great food review of straits cuisine served in hotel..don't generally bother with hotel food , especially as so many choices on every corner here in HK, but
Top notch.

• Stayed July 2013
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We've stayed at the Traders a number of times. Either through my husbands business trips (because all the 5* hotels were fully booked) or due to pleasure (visiting friends in HK). You know what your getting at Traders. Without doubt the Club Level is great. The view from the room is wonderful. The snacks/wine and breakfast in the Club Room (nice view) is very pleasant. The staff in the evening are very attentive pouring the wine! The success at breakfast can depend on which staff are monitoring the buffet. The scrambled eggs can look very dodgy at times and should be replaced frequently. I always request a dinner plate as a side plate is too small to serve breakfast on. I don't like going up and down to the buffet. One serving is fine. The other thing is I'm vegetarian so I'd prefer it if the meat (bacon & sausages) were together and the tomatoes and baked beans were side by side too. People tend to use the same serving spoons as the staff don't monitor the buffet. All said and done a compact, clean and functioning hotel within easy walking distance to Soho (20mins). I wouldn't recommend taking the shuttle bus as it takes forever to get to Central. The local bus (very cheap) or taxi (very reasonable) is far better!

Room Tip: Club Level
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Potential here, but, my stay was sad and I cannot recommend. Total lack of management caring...it became almost comical...

I will net it out:
1.) Located in an older area of Hong Kong. You can walk around and really feel "old Hong Kong" - but, hard to make yourself understood or find any shopping other than "cheapie street items" - which is fun to do, on occasion. After a week, I found a mall behind hotel. Not a good mall, but, it would have been nice to know it was there.

2.) There was no attendant upon my night arrival at the bottom of long escalator that led to the lobby (around 11:30PM). My bags tumbled down the escalator onto me and it was a disaster...Finally, the front desk man came running to help me.

3.) Check in quick and easy, but, after that arrival, you would think I would have been given a good room...

4.) Room was SO TINY and surrounded by tons tall, thin buildings - VERY claustrophobic. No room in closet for more than 2 or 3 pairs of shoes (and I was to stay for more than 2 weeks...this was NOT going to work). Very small safe. I was not happy. Two other people told me they had same type of room and thought it was too small and would not recommend to others.

5.) I paid 2x the price to upgrade to a suite facing the sea. The room was great!
However, there were 2 serious problems that occurred in this room with not a care in the world from management from this "fine" Shangi La group hotel:

a.) One of the sinks overflowed while I was washing some small items and ran to answer the door. Apparently, the drainer was clogged (all of the other sinks and tub overflows worked). I noticed the sink starting to overflow and ran to shut the sink to stop the overflow... Running on the marble floor was not such a great idea...Two hours later, a doctor at an event I was at insisted that I go immediately to the Emergency Room, as 2 of my fingers started turning black. Not fun walking around with 2 fingers bandaged and taped together during my stay.

b.) During a Typhoon, SEVERAL ceiling leaks sprouted out from the ceiling AT ABOUT 1AM, landing on and around the desk area...not good for my laptop, back up drives, cellphone, etc. It took about an hour and 15 minutes for 3 men with ladders to fix the leaks, killing my much needed sleep (jet lag). The men explained that THE ROOF POOL was leaking into my room, as I was right below the pool! Had I not noticed the leak, my laptop would have absolutely drowned. No real concern or apologies or anything from the hotel...

Not close to Central or other business areas and impossible to get taxis during rain. Hotel will try for you, but the taxi company lines are often busy. Stressful to get to Central or Kowloun (even harder, as taxis don't all go there). I later heard there is a shuttle you can take to Central.

You should carry around a print out of location of hotel, as taxi drivers do not recognize this hotel or address by name...and this was during my entire 20 day stay.

Also,there is no real lounge area or true bar area, unless you upgrade to a Club room.
The 2nd floor restaurant has a big buffet (I didn't love the food and found the restaurant to be freezing cold - and, one day, when I arrived 5 minutes late, they charged me for a coffee and croissant, after pleading for it -- I had breakfast included). So, I really appreciated the club level breakfast buffet and most of their staff that went out of their way for you all day.

The nicest thing about hotel was pool sunset view and the club level lounge.

THE WORST THING ABOUT THE HOTEL WAS THE ABSOLUTE LACK OF PROACTIVITY TO SHOW THAT THEY CARED ABOUT ALL OF THE TROUBLES I WENT THROUGH -
NO ONE TO ASSIST UPON ARRIVAL/BAGS FALLING DOWN ESCALATOR, landing on me

HAVING TO MOVE ROOMS as room was TOO TINY

CEILING LEAKS/MISSING SLEEP DUE TO A POOL LEAKING INTO MY ROOM

OR THE FACT THAT ONE OF THEIR SINK DRAINERS WAS CLOGGED WHICH WAS A MAJOR FACTOR OF MY INJURY THAT CAUSED TO TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL.

Oh, I should mention, that, after the manager heard everything, took a picture of the clogged drain in my sink....She had her worker call me to tell me that, as a concession, I could have all the black and white paper copies that I neeed.

A JOKE.

I would not return to this hotel, as I have never had a fine hotel show such a lack of caring. How could this hotel be part of the Shangri La Group? A shame, as I needed another long term stay, which could have taken me to high tier of "Golden Circle/Shangri La" membership program, and chose another hotel, as I just couldn't deal with this hotel again.

Room Tip: Tell desk that you do not want one of their rooms that is squished in the middle of the others. I b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mschatz11
Shanghai, China
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed in the Traders Hotel while attending a conference in the city. Check in was smooth and quick and the room was quite good. Service in the hotel was generally good. Room was quite spacious but plain but had a good view of the harbour and the passing ships. Room furniture was modern and up to date with a very comfortable bed and chair arrangement for doing work in the evening. Access to the main parts of the city required a bit of navigation in the MRT system as the hotel is quite far outside of the main thoroughfare. However if your main stay is on Queens Road then the hotel is quite acceptable. The price is quite high for the type of hotel and you could spend the money on a smaller hotel with a better range of benefits.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business