“Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #65 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Booked as I had read the reviews about how nice a hotel this was and I must tell you that it is value driven so if that is the basis for your booking then by all means do so but the location is not the best. Yes, it is authentic Hong Kong but I really do not think it necessary to subject oneself to the onslaught of the area and the distance from Central just because you want an 'experience' at value. The rooms are ok but in no way how they are shown on the photos. I expect it had something to do with me being on the 5th floor looking at filthy grubby apartments and office towers a mere stones throw away from my window. It was bleak.

My other complaint was that I had just travelled a really long way, door to door 36 hours and was expecting to arrive to have my room ready only to be told at 3pm that they had no rooms and I needed to wait. Realizing that I was not impressed they miraculously found me a room on the 5th floor and onto what they call a double bed which would fit two Hobbits onto it just about!

Would I recommend this place. Not really. But if you are value driven and want a real local view of grubby Hong Kong then this is the place.

Room Tip: Must must ask for high floor rooms. do not accept anything less than the 10th floor with harbor view...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jjy88sm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

It was our 8th trip to Hong Kong but our first at the Traders Hotel. It was very good. The staff in the hotel are excellent, always ready to please and anticipating our needs. The rooms are very clean and an average size for Hong Kong. With no carpets on the floor just wooden floors it always feels clean and in a humid climate, a sensible selection. I would recommend you spend a little extra and get to use the Traders Club on the 28th floor for breakfast and snacks and drinks in the evening. We stayed on the 22nd floor with a harbour view. Remember to ask for this as Mountain view rooms don't have a great view. The swimming pool is on the 28th floor and was very cold when we were there in early November and the gym is small but adequate for a holiday workout.
The hotel has a free shuttle bus to Central station and other stops which runs every 30mins. Just put your name down at reception for a seat but if you forget, they can usually fit you in.
An MTR is being built close by but not completed yet. The 104 bus from the Centre of the shopping district in Hong Kong takes you right to the front door of the hotel, brilliant.
If there was one criticism I have of the hotel is that the lifts are very slow but that was no inconvenience in our book.

Room Tip: Up as high as you can on the harbour view side.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vince_Chris
Isle of Man
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I recently spent two nights at this hotel which I chose as being convenient for spending time with family nearby. It felt far more in touch with the real Hong Kong, as it is set in a bustling neighbourhood, which is far less anodyne than staying in the chrome and glass towers in Central and Kowloon. I took the opportunity to wander in the surrounding streets and visit local shops and markets, where I did receive some puzzled looks from residents as I paddled through the puddles in the fish and meat markets, but the sights, sounds and smells were all there!

Traders is a comfortable mid-range hotel which feels aimed at the business traveller, but is perfectly acceptable to the tourist like me. Staff were helpful and welcoming, and my room was a study in packing contemporary function into a small space, yet maintaining a feeling of space and light, with views to the harbour between the neighbouring tower blocks. I paid extra for an Executive Club room, which included access to the Executive Lounge on the top floor, where I ate breakfast each day, and could avail myself of complimentary snacks and drinks at other times, whilst kicking back and enjoying the view from the full height windows. I had hoped to use the rooftop pool, but on venturing up there it was unheated, and surrounded by unappealing concrete, with no softening greenery to entice you to linger at the loungers or tables and enjoy the magnificent views - shame!

I found the hotel shuttle very useful, and buses, trams and taxis were all easy to find and use. I took a bus to Stanley via Aberdeen and enjoyed getting away from the city madness for a few hours. With my uncle I enjoyed visiting the Peak on a beautiful day, and we meandered around the circular (flat) route signposted near Peak Galleria, along Lugard and Harlech roads, which took us right around the peak and provided great views out in all directions from under the shady trees. I can't say I like the concrete "wok" that is the Peak Galleria, nor the Peak Mall alongside, they would be more at home in the city below.

Unless you are only looking for the big shopping experience that Hong Kong undoubtedly provides wherever you turn, I heartily recommend going further afield, even on the Island itself, or maybe venturing out to some of the outlying islands: transport links are inexpensive, acccessible and efficient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Manxmog
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I am a single older lady travelling alone, and I spent a week in Traders recently. At first I thought it was too far out from the centre of the city, but I found the tram, which was only a street away just brilliant. It ran every few minutes to the centre of Hong Kong, was very cheap indeed and I just loved pretending to be a normal Hong Kong resident using public transport. The tram is not fast so there is ample time to look at pedestrians and into shops when you pass by. There is a good free shuttle bus also but I much preferred the tram. There are always lots of taxis but they are boringly impersonal. The area around the hotel is most interesting and enjoyable to walk around, I seemed to be the only visitor most of the time. The shops are for normal Chinese people and not tourists. The staff in the hotel were all excellent, I never had to queue at reception to ask a question or to check out, and the staff went to endless trouble to help me. My room was clean, efficient and comfortable, with everything you need. The morning paper was delivered to the room early every morning, and very nice to read at breakfast. This hotel is not expensive, my travel agent in Ireland got me a very good deal indeed. I look forward to visiting again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Esther M
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

we loved the neighbourhood and used the tram (20p) into central or to Star ferry. there was also a regular courtesy bus for free so no problems getting anywhere. Not for those who want to be in the middle of Central or on Kowloon but was very good value and we were extremely well looked after

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank beaumanor
Macau, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Rooms looks old but it is clean and comfy.
I was staying at Traders' club floor with the access to Trader's lounge for breakfast but that experience wasn't good. Sofa seat with dirt but no one remove it or clean it. Then there was lack of server when the whole lounge was full of guest, there was only one staff serve seat, clean tables, set table, taking order and refill food. Turn out to be a lot of tables no one to clean, guests waiting outside no one serve seat. We ended up sat at the nasty table with the sofa seat with wet dirt mark and not set-up for the table. The latte coffee from the lounge tasted awful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Delighted with this hotel. Room a good size for HK and with a bonus of an iron and board in wardrobe. Broadband, hairdrier, safe, desk, window seat. Bed a little hard but white linen immaculate, lovely pillows. Hotel security very good, you even need your key card to access the lift floors. Staff welcoming and attentive, arrived in minutes to sort safe problem. Not the best view, flats opposite but didn't come to look out of the window all day; double blinds to control light level. Not the best location for sightseeing but trams and buses are so cheap and available it's not a problem. Good size pool on roof, plus small gym. Free local shuttle bus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple