“Excellent location. Average hotel. Average Service”

Rosedale Hotel Hong Kong
Ranked #192 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Faridaba
“Excellent location. Average hotel. Average Service”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

This was my third time in Hongkong. I must say this was a way better location for hotel then where I stayed before. If you are not a great fan of Chinese food like me ( I am a non alcoholic vegetarian) than this is great place to be as you can find Subway, PizzaHut and StarBucks within 2-5 mins walking distance.

However I was way too disappointed by the hotel itself. The rooms are small and the total service level is average. Breakfast menu is small.

There is one thing I want to bring to even hotels notice is that there is a very very odd smell in the bathroom. As I was there for a training with people from other countries (Japan, China, Isreal, Australia) also staying with in other rooms and they shares the same thing with me, so I know it was just not in my room. I guess they are using sewage water in the flush which is causing it. Its a very very bad smell.

Also, finding taxi in the morning hours from this hotel is a total nightmare. You can hardly find any taxi coming to hotel in the morning so you have to walk to the main road which is not more then 20 meter away though to get a taxi and it is HARD. It would be better if you walk 5-7 mins and go to some bigger hotels near by and you can find taxi easily there.

On the otherside, its easier to get bus and even MTR station is like 5 mins walking. So if you are a tourist and would hardly spend time in hotel and would take public transport then this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Take the room in the higher floors so that you can get a better view, also check if you can get harb...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Give this hotel a miss.

Disappointingly all the review sites show this hotel as a 4 star. This hotel is 2 stars at best…

The website and photos are misleading; this is an old, tired hotel that is only aimed at mainland Chinese customers.

I have travelled and stayed in hotels in Asia for 15 years, so had a certain expectation of a 4 star hotel. When I checked in I was given the smallest room I have ever stayed in. When I complained the front desk really did not care.

I then spoke to Ileen Chanter who is the customer service manager and she is the only bright star in this hotel.

She is friendly, enthusiastic and really should be in a 5 star hotel instead of trying to flog a dead horse.

She upgraded me to a suite which in total size is still smaller than a standard 4 star hotel room.

The room is tired and worn. The couch was patched up all over, check the photo.

The view is onto buildings where you view is of washing hanging out to dry.

This is the only ‘4 star’ hotel I have been to that does not have a swimming pool which is a must in a muggy and hot Hong Kong.

I tried the gym only once. It is tiny and can only take 3 people at a time. It has an old multigym, running machine and bike.

Breakfast is ok if you are Chinese. The dining room is far too small for the number of rooms and has about 12 large round tables where you just have to find a place. If you are a couple or want to sit alone, no chance…

I sat next to a man who spoke very loudly, slurped his soup and chewed with his mouth open while speaking and I could not move anywhere else as the restaurant was packed.

They must have a lot of theft as you can get cereal but not a spoon. They keep these hidden behind the bar and every day I had to ask for one.

The internet is free but I had to have them come to my room twice to sort out the dropout, then just gave up

This hotel is off the beaten track in a side street that has no taxis passing.

It is a long walk to the MTR and in May/June in a suit you would be drenched. I tried waiting for a taxi, the first day 45 minutes and the second I gave up after an hour and trekked to the MTR
Apart from Ileen Chanter, there is no customer service, friendliness or help. I felt like I was at a second rate hotel in mainland China. I was told that this hotel is only geared for the mainland Chinese (not made apparent on the review sites).

If you are a Westerner and used to high standards, give this hotel a wide miss. It will certainly never see me again.

Room Tip: Book into another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank frankfurness
Frankie S, Director of Rooms at Rosedale Hotel Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear frankfurness,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and happy to learn that you satisfied with all arrangement that our AGSM – Ileen Chanter had done for you including your room upgraded to Suite. However, please accept our sincere apologise that several aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectations. Rest assured that we have shared your comments with the relevant members of our team and that we will do our utmost to ensure that these issues are addressed and remedied accordingly.

We thank you once again for your valuable comments and sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel again when your next visit in Hong Kong.

Best Regards,

Frankie So
Director of Rooms

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Sydney
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Arrived into HKG after a 9 hr flight (plus 4 hrs delay) from Sydney. I had booked the room online, and when checking in I was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite. I was very appreciative of that!

Whilst the room decor appeared dated circa early 90's, the room was clean, tidy, and well appointed. I know that it was a junior suite, and in Hong Kong space is EVERYTHING.

The staff were very friendly, attentive and helpful. The breakfast buffet was a fine way to start the day the next morning. Catered for Asian and non-Asian tastes which was appreciated. (It's always fun to have a breakfast in a foreign hotel where you get to sample different foods.

Positives.
Bed was very comfortable.
Rooms clean and tidy.
Staff very helpful
Free wifi
Nice view when up in higher rooms (You can sort of see "The Park" if you look carefully! ;-)

Areas for Improvement
Shower run off goes onto bathroom floor.

For the money (AUD$160/night including free wifi and breakfast) you'd be lucky to find a better option for your money for a quick stay in HKG.

Would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room for a view of Causeway Bay.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We liked our stay at the Rosedale. Check in was fast and easy and the staff welcoming!

There are only 3 elevators so it may take a while to get to your room.

The location is excellent at a walking distance of,Causeway Bay MTR station, shops and restaurants. We were there for business (Hong Kong Gift Fair) and Wanchai is only one station away.

The rooms are tiny (this is often the case in Hong Kong) but for the price and location, everything was ok, the room was clean and everything was functionnal. Free wifi too and no password required. Easy connect :-)

Check out was fast and easy and staff very professionnal.

We recommend this hotel and would go back anytime!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Its located pretty much near all the action, there are many tiny places where they serve good Indonesian Cuisine and there are many more to choose from. There are a lot malls located close-by as well. The streets will be full of people all the time. This ain't Mainland China, so you can't expect people to be as helpful and polite as they generally are in Mainland China.

The room pretty small, could barely more around.The staff were very polite and front desk was pretty quick. But pretty expensive considering the rooms size.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amith G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

On our trip to Hong Kong to visit family and do some sight seeing we stayed at the Rosedale in Causeway Bay on Hong Kong island. We stayed for a total of nine nights and had a thoroughly pleasant experience with our hotel. The staff were excellent, attentive and so helpful. Our accommodation was lovely and spotlessly clean. The hotel ensured that our teenage daughters were put in a room alongside to us. Do visit the rooftop bar to relax with a happy hour cocktail and enjoy the views.
The location of the hotel was perfect - quiet but not too far away from the areas we wished to visit. The transport is extremely efficient throughout the day so catching buses and trams (and taxis when we were just too tired from our adventures) was so easy.
There is a superb Italian restaurant just around the corner from the hotel when needing a break the local dishes.

Room Tip: Higher floors for a view!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank 190sal
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Stayed here during the Hong Kong rugby 7's and this is the perfectly positioned property to attend the event as the stadium is just a few minutes walk away . There are also many shops nearby as well as a subway , mcdonalds, 7-11, watsons ,starbucks etc . Transport options are great with the mrt nearby and trams on your doorstep.Rooms are very clean and well appointed with nice touches and very comfortable beds. Ate at the sky bar this trip and food was very reasonably priced and good quality . Staff were very helpful and even gave us a complimentary meal due a little bit of a wait for our dinner - it was very busy so we did expect a wait but it was a nice surprise to be looked after. Thank you - we will be back again next year !

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends