“Great central Hotel”

Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong
Ranked #109 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 5, 2007

The hotel was right near Nathan Road on Kowloon and an easy walking distance to the harbour. (Only disadvantage was the number of hawkers as soon as you left the hotel)
The staff were very helpful and the room was lovely. The restaurant food was great but they seemed to be trying to cater for international cuisine - especially canadian when we were there and we really just wanted to try the local cuisine but from the comfort of our hotel.
However excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Lindae29

Reviewed January 7, 2007

Stayed 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile hotel over new year eve 2006. Chose this hotel because we wanted to stay in the city centre and that unfortunately most of the surrounding cheaper hotels were fully booked during the holiday season.

We confirmed our booking for a double bed Executive Club room via the HolidayCity website. Upon check-in, we requested for a Twin sharing Executive Club room, but were told that we could upgrade to a bigger executive room with twin beds at HKD 200 per night. Considering that we already booked the room at a pricey rate of more than HKD 5000 for 4 nights, we decided not to upgrade. After checking the system for a couple of minutes, the lady behind the check-in counter offered us a free upgrade to twin executive club room for us, which we greatly appreciated.

Room was clean. Size and decor of the room were above average. However, view from the window overlooked rundown residential blocks, and the bathroom was rather cramp.

Breakfasts at the Executive lounge were above average, with a wide selection: pastries, cheese, juices, dim sum, salmon etc. However, the novelty of the selection soon wore off as we had our breakfast on four consecutive mornings at the executive lounge. Evening cocktail that ran between 6-8pm were pleasant with warm dim sum, crispy fish fingers, chips, mixed nuts and other cold appertisers. Freeflow of Beer and alcoholic drinks were also available. A great place to unwind after a day of sightseeing. There is also free usage of internet at the 2 computer terminals in the executive lounge throughout the day.

Excellent location. Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station is accessible just across the street from the hotel. The nearby streets and shops are bustling with activities.Hotel is also within walking distance (about 10 mins walk) to key attractions in Kowloon, like Avenue of the Stars, Clock Tower, Star Ferry Pier, etc. Complimentary express shuttle bus service to and from Kowloon MTR station is also available from the hotel at about 15-20 mins interval. Very convenient for those who intend to commute by the airport express MTR service via Kowloon station.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank sgcherrygal
Reviewed January 7, 2007

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile last week, on our way back to Europe from Australia. We have stayed here before and like the location of the hotel. We are Priority Club members. Our flight arrived at 4.30 am and we arrived at the hotel very early in the morning and asked the front desk if they could store our bags until the room was ready. The very friendly and efficient man at the front desk informed us that our room was not ready this early, but he would give us another room to use in the meantime. This was completely unexpected but very welcome! We were shown to a renovated room - it was clean and spacious. We freshened up and left for the day. When we returned in the late afternoon our bags had been moved to our Executive Club Room. Another clean, spacious room; 2 queen size beds, bathrobes, slippers, complimentary water and lots of other nice touches. Executive Club level includes access to the lounge, with cocktails from 6 - 8 pm and breakfast. My only complaint about the Lounge would be that there were no drinks save for coffee in the lounge outside of cocktail and breakfast times. Free intenet in the lounge as well, which was great. My husband and I used the gym - it was clean and well-equipped. Breakfast in the morning was great - included eggs to order, plenty of western and Asian choices. We were given a 4 pm checkout with no extra charge. Hotel arranged airport pick-up and drop-off for us.
We ate lunch one day in the Vienna Cafe. Burgers looked great; sandwich looked great. However - my salad was the smallest salad I have ever seen - 2 tiny lettuce leaves and two tiny strips of grilled meat. It was also the most expensive salad I have ever eaten!!!!!!!!
All in all we had a great stay and will return. The renovations are great; service is good, and the little touches (like the complimentary room at 6 am...) are fantastic!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank lgbudapest
Reviewed December 16, 2006

I probably could write a really bad review about this hotel but wanted to be fair to the company.

Reception is a big long desk that extends just past concierge to the other side. When I walked in I was wondering who was really reception as they all had their heads down peering into a computer monitor. I walked up to one who was looked up and was friendly enough. We did the usual at check-in then was asked if I wanted to be upgraded to the new refurbished floor at $200HKD per night per room (I had 2 rooms booked for 2 nights) to which I declined since I was only passing through on my way home. I asked for a late check out at around 4pm but was informed it would cost $600HKD for that.

Anyway when I eventually got to my room I was somewhat shocked to see the condition of our room. The room was so smelly like you would smell at a gym with body massage oil and the carpet was absolutely filthy with long term stains. The view was a shocker but that didn't really concern me.

I called down to reception to speak to the girl who checked me in but she was busy so I was told she would call me back. 20 minutes later no call so I called again & was put straight on to her as the girl who picked up the phone obviously didn't want to deal with me. I complained about the condition of the room also stating the website did not state that the room was going to be filthy and smelly.

I was upgraded to the refurbished floor free of charge although my other room stayed because it was acceptable. This room that was initally offered to me at $200HKD extra per night is the same size only higher up, newer & clean - what you would normally expect from a 4 star hotel.

I again asked for a late check out to which I was told no even if I paid, as they were getting in a group & they are full house. Fair enough. Not the greatest time I've had in a Hong Kong hotel but in retrospect the hotel is quite OK and in a reasonably good area for some.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Rogapol
Reviewed December 6, 2006

We stayed at the Holiday inn Golden Mile for four nights on our way to Oz. As a treat we decided to book an Executive Club room. it was well worth it. On arrival we had personalised check in which was very efficient. Unfortunately we were given a smoking room. We complained and were moved straight away. The service was very efficient, if sometimes a little impersonal and included transfers to & from the airport organised by e-mail (at an extra cost). The lady at the travel desk was most helpful with advice and organising trips for us.
The price included breakfast and evening snacks and cocktails from 6 till 8. We certainly made the most of that!
The hotel is in a good location close to shops and markets and a short walk from the Avenue of Stars and the Star Ferry (10p downstairs and 15p upstairs). It was very crowded in Kowloon and is all go none stop day and night. The hustle and bustle takes a while to get used to and the peace and quiet of the hotel especially in the relaxing club room was a pleasant contrast. There is a good bar in the hotel that has live entertainment, which was suprisingly good. The drinks did work out rather expensive though and we found mingling in the street bars with the locals to be much cheaper.
Overall a very enjoyable experience that we would not hesitate to repeat.

7  Thank CASTLEFOX
Reviewed November 7, 2006

I was very disappointed after checking in at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile. Being a member of their Priority Club, I bookd a room believing their promise of a guaranteed lower-than-anywhere else rate. I even called to check that all their rooms were recently renovated and the operator who answered the call said that all rooms were renovated.
However when I checked in after an overnight flight, the guest relations officer told me that the hotel "would like to offer me a special rate" to upgrade to a better room. The special offer was HK$250. She brought me to a dimly lit 3rd floor room which looked rather old and definitely not renovated. She told me that if I take the upgrade offer, the room will be on a higher floor and will be bigger in size. She then brought me to a sample of the renovated room on the 7th floor. Indeed, it looked much better with white and blue beddings and newer carpet. Weary and quite upset with having to pay more, I finally managed to bargain the special upgrade offer to HK$200. (I noticed that the hotel has a special stamp made to indicate on my acceptance of this offer)
She checked me in and assigned me the "sample room"! After resting, I realised that the room was not that much bigger; the bathroom was tiny, the kettle has rust marks and the study desk phone even had a bad smell. Throughout the stay I felt that I had been "cheated" into paying a room price that I would have not taken if I had been informed before I made the booking.
Although the service was efficient and location was good, my whole trip was marred by this room rate incident.
As a traveller, I usually set aside a budget for different neccessities of my trip. A clean and comfortable hotel with good location is something I looked for but to be "surprised" with an additional HK$200 + 10% +3% per night for a 5 night stay is not something I enjoy doing!!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank TravellingAngi
Reviewed September 8, 2006

I just returned from a 4 day stay at Holiday Inn Golden Mile. It was my first trip to Hong Kong, but I've been to Asia many times. Lets first talk about the good sides of this hotel: I had a standard room an 15th floor, just new renovated. The rooms are resonable sized, clean and friendly looking. The bed was excellent and the bathroom clean as I expected. Absolutly nothing to complain. For internet access you need to pay. The disadvantage: looking out of the window simply shows ugly backsides of the economy boom in HK. So don't do it and keep the curtains closed. The hotel is nicely located, many restaurants are nearby and of course in the middle of many shopping malls. The hotel as it has a lot to offer in terms of bars and restaurants. Breakfast is expensive and not included. To central its just a star boat ride over the lagoon and very convinient. Now to the bad side: they will try to sell you an upgrade which is none - that's what happend to me. But at 10 pm after a 20 hour trip, you are glad to be in a hotel. I encountered this later the week. A hotel that I can not trust, I will never return.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business