“Not really my cup of tea.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong

Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong
Ranked #95 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney
“Not really my cup of tea.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2006

I probably could write a really bad review about this hotel but wanted to be fair to the company.

Reception is a big long desk that extends just past concierge to the other side. When I walked in I was wondering who was really reception as they all had their heads down peering into a computer monitor. I walked up to one who was looked up and was friendly enough. We did the usual at check-in then was asked if I wanted to be upgraded to the new refurbished floor at $200HKD per night per room (I had 2 rooms booked for 2 nights) to which I declined since I was only passing through on my way home. I asked for a late check out at around 4pm but was informed it would cost $600HKD for that.

Anyway when I eventually got to my room I was somewhat shocked to see the condition of our room. The room was so smelly like you would smell at a gym with body massage oil and the carpet was absolutely filthy with long term stains. The view was a shocker but that didn't really concern me.

I called down to reception to speak to the girl who checked me in but she was busy so I was told she would call me back. 20 minutes later no call so I called again & was put straight on to her as the girl who picked up the phone obviously didn't want to deal with me. I complained about the condition of the room also stating the website did not state that the room was going to be filthy and smelly.

I was upgraded to the refurbished floor free of charge although my other room stayed because it was acceptable. This room that was initally offered to me at $200HKD extra per night is the same size only higher up, newer & clean - what you would normally expect from a 4 star hotel.

I again asked for a late check out to which I was told no even if I paid, as they were getting in a group & they are full house. Fair enough. Not the greatest time I've had in a Hong Kong hotel but in retrospect the hotel is quite OK and in a reasonably good area for some.

• Liked — The free upgrade was good but thoroughly deserved
  • Disliked — The old rooms but expect that they will be all refurbished in the future. I wish I got that late check out!
4 Thank Rogapol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
YORKSHIRE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2006

We stayed at the Holiday inn Golden Mile for four nights on our way to Oz. As a treat we decided to book an Executive Club room. it was well worth it. On arrival we had personalised check in which was very efficient. Unfortunately we were given a smoking room. We complained and were moved straight away. The service was very efficient, if sometimes a little impersonal and included transfers to & from the airport organised by e-mail (at an extra cost). The lady at the travel desk was most helpful with advice and organising trips for us.
The price included breakfast and evening snacks and cocktails from 6 till 8. We certainly made the most of that!
The hotel is in a good location close to shops and markets and a short walk from the Avenue of Stars and the Star Ferry (10p downstairs and 15p upstairs). It was very crowded in Kowloon and is all go none stop day and night. The hustle and bustle takes a while to get used to and the peace and quiet of the hotel especially in the relaxing club room was a pleasant contrast. There is a good bar in the hotel that has live entertainment, which was suprisingly good. The drinks did work out rather expensive though and we found mingling in the street bars with the locals to be much cheaper.
Overall a very enjoyable experience that we would not hesitate to repeat.

• Liked — EXECUTIVE CLUB ROOM
  • Disliked — NOTHING
7 Thank CASTLEFOX
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2006

I was very disappointed after checking in at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile. Being a member of their Priority Club, I bookd a room believing their promise of a guaranteed lower-than-anywhere else rate. I even called to check that all their rooms were recently renovated and the operator who answered the call said that all rooms were renovated.
However when I checked in after an overnight flight, the guest relations officer told me that the hotel "would like to offer me a special rate" to upgrade to a better room. The special offer was HK$250. She brought me to a dimly lit 3rd floor room which looked rather old and definitely not renovated. She told me that if I take the upgrade offer, the room will be on a higher floor and will be bigger in size. She then brought me to a sample of the renovated room on the 7th floor. Indeed, it looked much better with white and blue beddings and newer carpet. Weary and quite upset with having to pay more, I finally managed to bargain the special upgrade offer to HK$200. (I noticed that the hotel has a special stamp made to indicate on my acceptance of this offer)
She checked me in and assigned me the "sample room"! After resting, I realised that the room was not that much bigger; the bathroom was tiny, the kettle has rust marks and the study desk phone even had a bad smell. Throughout the stay I felt that I had been "cheated" into paying a room price that I would have not taken if I had been informed before I made the booking.
Although the service was efficient and location was good, my whole trip was marred by this room rate incident.
As a traveller, I usually set aside a budget for different neccessities of my trip. A clean and comfortable hotel with good location is something I looked for but to be "surprised" with an additional HK$200 + 10% +3% per night for a 5 night stay is not something I enjoy doing!!!!

• Liked — the service staff
  • Disliked — the price and touts around hotels
8 Thank TravellingAngi
Heidelberg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2006

I just returned from a 4 day stay at Holiday Inn Golden Mile. It was my first trip to Hong Kong, but I've been to Asia many times. Lets first talk about the good sides of this hotel: I had a standard room an 15th floor, just new renovated. The rooms are resonable sized, clean and friendly looking. The bed was excellent and the bathroom clean as I expected. Absolutly nothing to complain. For internet access you need to pay. The disadvantage: looking out of the window simply shows ugly backsides of the economy boom in HK. So don't do it and keep the curtains closed. The hotel is nicely located, many restaurants are nearby and of course in the middle of many shopping malls. The hotel as it has a lot to offer in terms of bars and restaurants. Breakfast is expensive and not included. To central its just a star boat ride over the lagoon and very convinient. Now to the bad side: they will try to sell you an upgrade which is none - that's what happend to me. But at 10 pm after a 20 hour trip, you are glad to be in a hotel. I encountered this later the week. A hotel that I can not trust, I will never return.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Check in people, reception - very unfriendly and unfair.
  • Tips/Secrets — Beware of the upgrades - don't do it!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
24 Thank DoktorCB
Helensvale, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I have just returned from 10 days spent at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile. We booked a King Executive Suite and although it cost more than the basic room, it was well worth the extra $.

We were looked after superbly by the staff on the 18th floor. This is where the executive lounge area and checkin is located. Our room was on the 17th floor. We were advised that there was construction going on in the building but we were hardly aware of this.

The executive room was very spacious and had all the comforts we needed. Room service was prompt, food delicious and not too outragiously priced. We were provided with compliemtary bottled water every day which saved us buying water all the time like we did last year at another hotel.

The executive lounge provided us with complimentary breakfast which included a small range of hot food, freshly cooked eggs, pastries and an array of juices.

Complimentary snacks are provided throughout the day - muffins, coffee and soft drinks. You can go to the lounge any time of the day between 7am and 11pm and have snacks or drinks - complimentary.

Cocktail hour (also complimentary) is in the evening with an array of hot and cold canapes, wine, hard liquior, soft drinks and coffee/tea. There was always plenty of food provided and topped up by the chef. The staff at the executive lounge were very obliging and always there to assist.

Videos are complimentary as is the high speed internet access on 2 computers which I found very useful. The gym on the 18th floor was also available for use at no charge. It was a very well equipped gym with the most modern equipment and flat screen TV monitors.

All in all the hotel stay was very enjoyable and the extra we paid for the executive suite was preferable than going to breakfast at the expensive buffet downstairs. Some nights we skipped dinner as we had sufficient canapes at the cocktail bar to last us until later at night and then we were too tired to bother about dinner anyway after more hours of walking around HK.

The deli which is one of the restaurants / stores part of the hotel was really good for food. We purchased some cold meat, cheese and bread rolls there for dinner one night and took them back to our room. We had just eaten lunch at the restaurant so we received a substantial discount for our purchase. The food was really good.

We found the buffet breakfast (taken on a day when we had an early start for a tour) quite expensive and not as good as other buffet breakfasts we have had at other hotels. The same for dinner - the buffet was expensive but the huge range of food was not as appealing to me as other buffets I've been to.

The hotel is in a great location - close to everything. Yes, there are hawkers at the Nathan Road entrance to the hotel but that is all part of the experience of being in HK. If this bothers you, then you can use the main entrance which comes out at the side street. No hawkers there.

This hotel was wonderful and we would definately stay there again.

• Liked — Executive amenities
  • Disliked — Everything was good
  • Tips/Secrets — Book the executive king rooms - the complimentary additions are well worth the extra money
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank mc4141
Pleasanton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2006

I stayed in HK during a weekend in the middle of a business trip between Seoul and Inland China. The Holiday Inn Golden Mile is in a nice location in the middle of Kowloon. My first night there I went to Hari's Bar (in the hotel) and had a few beers. The bar is decent and moderately priced. Looks like a lot of the crowd are regulars.

The room was OK. The king sized bed was good for my 6'4" frame. However, the first morning I woke up to a drip, drip, drip from the condensation in the ceiling airconditioning system. I put the trashcan there to catch the water. When room service cleaned the room while I was out, they fixed the drip and dried the rug. For some reason, the TV stopped working after the first night...

I ordered a "Pizza Supreme" for room service and it was very bland. I would not recommend this. The food did come quickly, however.

Laundry service was very good.

I was warned at checkin that there was construction on the 8th floor and it may be a little noisy on Saturday. I stayed on the 15th floor and did not have any problems with noises.
The view from my room looked at other buildings and down a street.

I walked through the Golden Mile and it is loaded with hawkers trying to pull you into their stores (mostly watches and tailors.) I was also warned to watch out for pick-pocketers. A short walk away is some nice shopping at the Harbour-City Ocean Terminal. I had a good lunch at Dan Ryan's Chicago bar.

Overall the Holiday Inn is priced well and located in a good central place. Little 'issues" in my room were taken care of promptly. This is the only place in HK that I stayed at so I can not compare to others...

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank NJPete
Lincoln UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2006

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, Golden Mile, for 3 days, two nights, early June, 2006. On our arrival at the reception the girls gabbled that we could not stay in our rooms between 9 am and 6 pm as there was renovation work going on. We pointed out that we should have been informed about this at the time we booked. The girls made rude comments in Cantonese - fortunately one of us knew Cantonese. We were on the 10th floor which had a corridor carpet in better condition that on the other floors. The decor was 1970s and the only feature apparently added since the 1980s was the modem connection. The outside walls entirely of glass window with scary drop to streets below did nothing to keep out traffic noise and the noise of building work. But the noise inside was far worse. It started even before we got up in the morning and continued to the evening. Mostly drilling. We were told the work on was the 7th floor (which was not accessible) but in fact workman were everywhere including rooms on the 10th floor - when they saw guests coming they hid. While service staff were helpful and friendly the office and restaurent staff were surly and unhelpful.
Other guests also complained about the noise and some had changed their rooms a number of times looking for something quieter.
The bar certainly did not live up to the website description "guests are invited to relax in Hari's Bar where long happy hours and live entertainment are featured nightly." My husband tried it - with us escorting him but it was dingy and gloomy and the prices even higher than in the room. We soon left.
My son put in a formal complaint since he had not been told about the building work when booking the hotel - he could then have chosen somewhere more appropriate to take his elderly parents - and on our last day the restaurant staff were attentive even obsequious and the office staff allowed us the use of both rooms to the evening - until we had to leave for the airport and and waived my husband's room bar bill.
We did notice while waiting for the tour bus in another hotel that that also had 1970s decor and the noise of drilling. We were told that the hotels are suddenly faced with competion from new hotels being built.

• Stayed June 2006