“Loved this hotel”

Ranked #109 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Helensvale, Australia
“Loved this hotel”
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I have just returned from 10 days spent at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile. We booked a King Executive Suite and although it cost more than the basic room, it was well worth the extra $.

We were looked after superbly by the staff on the 18th floor. This is where the executive lounge area and checkin is located. Our room was on the 17th floor. We were advised that there was construction going on in the building but we were hardly aware of this.

The executive room was very spacious and had all the comforts we needed. Room service was prompt, food delicious and not too outragiously priced. We were provided with compliemtary bottled water every day which saved us buying water all the time like we did last year at another hotel.

The executive lounge provided us with complimentary breakfast which included a small range of hot food, freshly cooked eggs, pastries and an array of juices.

Complimentary snacks are provided throughout the day - muffins, coffee and soft drinks. You can go to the lounge any time of the day between 7am and 11pm and have snacks or drinks - complimentary.

Cocktail hour (also complimentary) is in the evening with an array of hot and cold canapes, wine, hard liquior, soft drinks and coffee/tea. There was always plenty of food provided and topped up by the chef. The staff at the executive lounge were very obliging and always there to assist.

Videos are complimentary as is the high speed internet access on 2 computers which I found very useful. The gym on the 18th floor was also available for use at no charge. It was a very well equipped gym with the most modern equipment and flat screen TV monitors.

All in all the hotel stay was very enjoyable and the extra we paid for the executive suite was preferable than going to breakfast at the expensive buffet downstairs. Some nights we skipped dinner as we had sufficient canapes at the cocktail bar to last us until later at night and then we were too tired to bother about dinner anyway after more hours of walking around HK.

The deli which is one of the restaurants / stores part of the hotel was really good for food. We purchased some cold meat, cheese and bread rolls there for dinner one night and took them back to our room. We had just eaten lunch at the restaurant so we received a substantial discount for our purchase. The food was really good.

We found the buffet breakfast (taken on a day when we had an early start for a tour) quite expensive and not as good as other buffet breakfasts we have had at other hotels. The same for dinner - the buffet was expensive but the huge range of food was not as appealing to me as other buffets I've been to.

The hotel is in a great location - close to everything. Yes, there are hawkers at the Nathan Road entrance to the hotel but that is all part of the experience of being in HK. If this bothers you, then you can use the main entrance which comes out at the side street. No hawkers there.

This hotel was wonderful and we would definately stay there again.

• Liked — Executive amenities
  • Disliked — Everything was good
  • Tips/Secrets — Book the executive king rooms - the complimentary additions are well worth the extra money
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15 Thank mc4141

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Pleasanton
Reviewed July 14, 2006

I stayed in HK during a weekend in the middle of a business trip between Seoul and Inland China. The Holiday Inn Golden Mile is in a nice location in the middle of Kowloon. My first night there I went to Hari's Bar (in the hotel) and had a few beers. The bar is decent and moderately priced. Looks like a lot of the crowd are regulars.

The room was OK. The king sized bed was good for my 6'4" frame. However, the first morning I woke up to a drip, drip, drip from the condensation in the ceiling airconditioning system. I put the trashcan there to catch the water. When room service cleaned the room while I was out, they fixed the drip and dried the rug. For some reason, the TV stopped working after the first night...

I ordered a "Pizza Supreme" for room service and it was very bland. I would not recommend this. The food did come quickly, however.

Laundry service was very good.

I was warned at checkin that there was construction on the 8th floor and it may be a little noisy on Saturday. I stayed on the 15th floor and did not have any problems with noises.
The view from my room looked at other buildings and down a street.

I walked through the Golden Mile and it is loaded with hawkers trying to pull you into their stores (mostly watches and tailors.) I was also warned to watch out for pick-pocketers. A short walk away is some nice shopping at the Harbour-City Ocean Terminal. I had a good lunch at Dan Ryan's Chicago bar.

Overall the Holiday Inn is priced well and located in a good central place. Little 'issues" in my room were taken care of promptly. This is the only place in HK that I stayed at so I can not compare to others...

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank NJPete
Lincoln UK
Reviewed June 30, 2006

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, Golden Mile, for 3 days, two nights, early June, 2006. On our arrival at the reception the girls gabbled that we could not stay in our rooms between 9 am and 6 pm as there was renovation work going on. We pointed out that we should have been informed about this at the time we booked. The girls made rude comments in Cantonese - fortunately one of us knew Cantonese. We were on the 10th floor which had a corridor carpet in better condition that on the other floors. The decor was 1970s and the only feature apparently added since the 1980s was the modem connection. The outside walls entirely of glass window with scary drop to streets below did nothing to keep out traffic noise and the noise of building work. But the noise inside was far worse. It started even before we got up in the morning and continued to the evening. Mostly drilling. We were told the work on was the 7th floor (which was not accessible) but in fact workman were everywhere including rooms on the 10th floor - when they saw guests coming they hid. While service staff were helpful and friendly the office and restaurent staff were surly and unhelpful.
Other guests also complained about the noise and some had changed their rooms a number of times looking for something quieter.
The bar certainly did not live up to the website description "guests are invited to relax in Hari's Bar where long happy hours and live entertainment are featured nightly." My husband tried it - with us escorting him but it was dingy and gloomy and the prices even higher than in the room. We soon left.
My son put in a formal complaint since he had not been told about the building work when booking the hotel - he could then have chosen somewhere more appropriate to take his elderly parents - and on our last day the restaurant staff were attentive even obsequious and the office staff allowed us the use of both rooms to the evening - until we had to leave for the airport and and waived my husband's room bar bill.
We did notice while waiting for the tour bus in another hotel that that also had 1970s decor and the noise of drilling. We were told that the hotels are suddenly faced with competion from new hotels being built.

• Stayed June 2006
13 Thank cosmicelk
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2006

This must be the best value Hotel in Honk Kong.
I have stayed at 3 other Hotels in this city but this was the best.
Location, service,facilities, food were all outstanding.
I will choose this Hotel everytime I visit Hong Kong in the future.

• Stayed June 2006
10 Thank Josephkaufman
california
Reviewed May 11, 2006

had special needs for my handicap mother, the hotel went out of their way to help and make it a wonder experience, everyone was so helpful.

The added attention and the upgrade made it a wonderful experience.

The location on Nathan Rd is perfect for getting around, taking the Star Ferry to Hong Kong, also I recommend the tour of Hong Kong. Roger the guide was funny and informative. It's a great way of seeing all of Hong Kong and getting info you would not normally know.

The Chinese Restaurant at the hotel was not great, what was worse was the slow service for our hungry group.

Make sure you get a room that's on the higher floor or your view is a ugly old building. The club floor service staff excellent. thanks to Maggie and staff, from housekeeping, to bellman, job well done.
Carol Carlson-Ives

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank Marin1
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 24, 2006

stayed here for one night on a brief stop over on my way to Shanghai.

The free shuttle bus from Kowloon Station is convenient, as others report and including the airport express ride from the airport to Kowloon it takes about 30-40 minutes from the airport.

My first trip to HK so I can't compare this hotel with anywhere else, but I thought the staff were very helpful and the hotel's location is excellent for the metro (just across the road). I booked an executive room with a king bed (Chinese size) and it was small, but I was offered a larger room with two twin beds, which I am sure would have been larger. The club facilities on the 18th floor are ok, although the breakfast served up there was a limited.

I did eat in the 1st floor restaurant overlooking Nathan Rd, and I can't say I would recommend it. Bland food.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Diggadave
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 16, 2006

What a fantastic hotel. Rooms provide everything you could need, and anyway - who goes to Hong Kong to spend all the time in their room! The location can not be beaten - walk out the door and you are in the middle of Nathan Road. The harbour is only 10-15 minutes walk away and so are the Temple St night markets. The free hotel shuttle bus from Kowloon station is great - very frequent and never had to wait more than a few minutes.

• Stayed April 2006