“Excellent stay and location”

Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong
Ranked #109 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Honolulu
“Excellent stay and location”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and two teenage children have not been back to Hong Kong for seven years. Difficult to find a hotel room that fits two adults and two teenagers. E mailed holiday inn golden mile in march for a July stay and gave me a family room. Upon arrival staff at Avery good price allowed me to get a suite. Room is fantastic with separate den area. Beds are called double but are queen beds that can accomodate two adults. If cannot fit Andrew at the front desk was going to allow me a roll away bed at no charge. Staff is excellent. 5 star service. Called when we check in and asked if okay. Buffet breakfast is excellent. Recommend getting the package that includes this. Hotel location is fantastic. Mtr station right next door. Exit N5 of mtr.

Also if arriving late at night like us recommend taxi to hotel. About 220 hong kong

Room Tip: Suite is excellent if traveling with teenagers. Allows you to go in other room and not wake up other...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank twongHonolulu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Suzhou, China
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a great hotel with a superb location. The on site food is good too.

The only problem I had was in the bar area. I stayed Thursday to Monday and every night there were 'Ladies of negotiable virtue' in the bar. Now this don't bother me as a polite no thank you was all that was required, but I wouldn't take my wife there for a nightcap.

I'm surprised that a global brand such as Holiday Inn allows their local management to turn a blind eye.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms by the lifts as the mechanism is noisy XX20 will be bad
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HI_Golden_Mile, at Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Andy_Lonerider,

Thank you for sharing with us about your stay experience. We are glad you enjoyed the food at our restaurants, we have 4 restaurants each serving a different kind of cuisine, hope you had the chance to try them all.

We are sorry about the disturbance you encountered at the Hari’s Bar. We wish to assure you that the safety of our guests is our first priority, and we do not condone any activities in our premise that affects our guests. Our Security team will patrol the bar more frequently to make sure our guests could relax and enjoy their drinks freely.

We sincerely hope you could give us another chance and stay with us again on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Best Regards,
Holiday Inn Golden Mile
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stay here regularly throughout the year every year. All staff very friendly. Service and standard is more than holiday inn really. More like an Intercontinetal.

Only fault is the Osteria restaurant, which is not all its cracked up to be. Manager lets them down in the restaurant

Stayed March 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked this hotel when we discovered our original hotel was having it's pool renovated!! We thought the location would be perfect but we were a little disappointed because our original hotel was a 5 star and this is only 4. We shouldn't have been...

This hotel ticks all the boxes for a city break to HK. The only thing missing is a view...BUT you step outside the door and you are in the midst of everything. 5 minutes takes you to the avenue of stars and the Star ferry terminus. The MTR is right by the entrance....great.

I am soooo glad we changed to this hotel and I would recommend it as a superb base to explore old and new Kowloon, HK island, Lantau and Macau.Oh, and it has a nice rooftop pool!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Swissmags
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Location is great. There is no doubt about that. However, the price is not great considering it is a Holiday Inn. I have paid slightly more than I paid this time to stay in Marco Polo and other 5-star hotels in HK. The rooms are about what you expect for Holiday Inn, so nothing to complain about there.

However, the hotel staff committed two cardinal sins during my stay, which is why I am giving such a poor review. First, they added a donation to their charity to my bill without my approval. I REALLY hate when hotels do this. I don't mind an option somewhere to donate. I don't even mind them asking upon checkout if you would like to donate. But I HATE when they add something to your bill without your knowledge or approval.

Second, I speak fairly fluent Cantonese. During checkout, in which the aforementioned billing issue was raised among other things, I spoke nothing but Cantonese. The hotel staff understand and answered all of my queries. Unfortunately, he spoke only English. This is just a pet peeve and in my mind is a training issue. Unless you can't understand or are unable to speak yourself, you speak what the guest is speaking, full stop. To me, it is very condescending to not speak your mother language to someone when they are speaking it to you because you assume they won't understand because of your appearance. Furthermore, the checkout staff has no idea where I am from. He has no idea if I am Russian, German, Italian, or come from one of a hundred other places that don't necessarily speak English. More importantly, he understood my Cantonese. So there was no need to speak anything else.

Overall, hotel is on par with other Holiday Inns in terms of rooms and amenities. But the price and two problems I mentioned above would keep me from returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jchanlifat
Dear jchanlifat,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing with us your stay experience. Your constructive feedback is helpful for our improvement.

First of all, we apologize for adding the donation to your bill without your knowledge. Our team is supposed to introduce our charity partner ‘Project Hope’ to each guest first and consult whether the guest would like to add a $5 donation to the bill. We are sorry that our agent failed to follow this procedure and we apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will remind the team about the procedure and make sure guests are informed about this donation as they should, to prevent similar incidents from happening again in the future.

Secondly, we would like to apologize for the language choice of our team member. It was a careless mistake on our part and we should have spoken Cantonese instead of English to you. Our Front Office Manager is aware of this case, he will remind the team to be more attentive towards each guest’s preferences, in order to provide the personal and genuine service experience we promised to deliver.

We are sorry that the two problems gave you a poor first impression on us. We sincerely hope you would return in the future and give us another opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Best Regards,
Holiday Inn Golden Mile
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

If you gonna be here for shopping, this one is recommended.
Room size is fit. Not too small for couples. (But do not expect good view)

It's about 5 mins walk to the avenue of stars. Plus an MRT entrance/exit next to the hotel.

And Hotel staff also nice.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wiroj I
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Although this is only a 4 star hotel in HK, the staff seem to behave like a 5 star place. Everyone we encountered were helpful, courteous and outstanding. Checked in at 11.10pm and were told 'I'm sorry, the executive lounge is closed for the night - it closes at 11pm, so here are some vouchers for free drinks in the bar'. this was the start of an unexpectedly comfortable stay. The room was spotlessly clean, and serviced every day by the same maid (Apple) who knew our names and always greeted us with a smile and a welcome whenever we saw her in the hotel.
Executive lounge staff were very friendly, nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. I have stayed in many fancier hotels and never had the service we encountered at the Holiday Inn. We will most definitely be going back. Swimming pool was lovely. Just what we needed after a a few hours in the heat.
We had a room with 2x double beds as we were travelling with our 2 boys aged 10 and 8.
Not the cheapest hotel at HKD2800 per night including exec, lounge access.
Breakfast is magnificent. Staff even knew us by name there too.
Taxi from the airport at night was HKD$220 - cheaper than taking the train for a family of 4

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family