“Not your average Holiday Inn.....MUCH BETTER”

Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong
Ranked #103 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Zurich, Switzerland
“Not your average Holiday Inn.....MUCH BETTER”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked this hotel when we discovered our original hotel was having it's pool renovated!! We thought the location would be perfect but we were a little disappointed because our original hotel was a 5 star and this is only 4. We shouldn't have been...

This hotel ticks all the boxes for a city break to HK. The only thing missing is a view...BUT you step outside the door and you are in the midst of everything. 5 minutes takes you to the avenue of stars and the Star ferry terminus. The MTR is right by the entrance....great.

I am soooo glad we changed to this hotel and I would recommend it as a superb base to explore old and new Kowloon, HK island, Lantau and Macau.Oh, and it has a nice rooftop pool!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Swissmags

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Location is great. There is no doubt about that. However, the price is not great considering it is a Holiday Inn. I have paid slightly more than I paid this time to stay in Marco Polo and other 5-star hotels in HK. The rooms are about what you expect for Holiday Inn, so nothing to complain about there.

However, the hotel staff committed two cardinal sins during my stay, which is why I am giving such a poor review. First, they added a donation to their charity to my bill without my approval. I REALLY hate when hotels do this. I don't mind an option somewhere to donate. I don't even mind them asking upon checkout if you would like to donate. But I HATE when they add something to your bill without your knowledge or approval.

Second, I speak fairly fluent Cantonese. During checkout, in which the aforementioned billing issue was raised among other things, I spoke nothing but Cantonese. The hotel staff understand and answered all of my queries. Unfortunately, he spoke only English. This is just a pet peeve and in my mind is a training issue. Unless you can't understand or are unable to speak yourself, you speak what the guest is speaking, full stop. To me, it is very condescending to not speak your mother language to someone when they are speaking it to you because you assume they won't understand because of your appearance. Furthermore, the checkout staff has no idea where I am from. He has no idea if I am Russian, German, Italian, or come from one of a hundred other places that don't necessarily speak English. More importantly, he understood my Cantonese. So there was no need to speak anything else.

Overall, hotel is on par with other Holiday Inns in terms of rooms and amenities. But the price and two problems I mentioned above would keep me from returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jchanlifat
HI_Golden_Mile, at Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear jchanlifat,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing with us your stay experience. Your constructive feedback is helpful for our improvement.

First of all, we apologize for adding the donation to your bill without your knowledge. Our team is supposed to introduce our charity partner ‘Project Hope’ to each guest first and consult whether the guest would like to add a $5 donation to the bill. We are sorry that our agent failed to follow this procedure and we apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will remind the team about the procedure and make sure guests are informed about this donation as they should, to prevent similar incidents from happening again in the future.

Secondly, we would like to apologize for the language choice of our team member. It was a careless mistake on our part and we should have spoken Cantonese instead of English to you. Our Front Office Manager is aware of this case, he will remind the team to be more attentive towards each guest’s preferences, in order to provide the personal and genuine service experience we promised to deliver.

We are sorry that the two problems gave you a poor first impression on us. We sincerely hope you would return in the future and give us another opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Best Regards,
Holiday Inn Golden Mile
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

If you gonna be here for shopping, this one is recommended.
Room size is fit. Not too small for couples. (But do not expect good view)

It's about 5 mins walk to the avenue of stars. Plus an MRT entrance/exit next to the hotel.

And Hotel staff also nice.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wiroj I
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Although this is only a 4 star hotel in HK, the staff seem to behave like a 5 star place. Everyone we encountered were helpful, courteous and outstanding. Checked in at 11.10pm and were told 'I'm sorry, the executive lounge is closed for the night - it closes at 11pm, so here are some vouchers for free drinks in the bar'. this was the start of an unexpectedly comfortable stay. The room was spotlessly clean, and serviced every day by the same maid (Apple) who knew our names and always greeted us with a smile and a welcome whenever we saw her in the hotel.
Executive lounge staff were very friendly, nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. I have stayed in many fancier hotels and never had the service we encountered at the Holiday Inn. We will most definitely be going back. Swimming pool was lovely. Just what we needed after a a few hours in the heat.
We had a room with 2x double beds as we were travelling with our 2 boys aged 10 and 8.
Not the cheapest hotel at HKD2800 per night including exec, lounge access.
Breakfast is magnificent. Staff even knew us by name there too.
Taxi from the airport at night was HKD$220 - cheaper than taking the train for a family of 4

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Holiday Inn doesn't have much of a name in the U.S. Clearly, they've decided to kick it up a notch abroad. It is way better.

Pros:
- EXCELLENT location. You literally cannot get any better than this. It's right on Nathan Road. Walk 10 feet in either direction and you've got something to do. Also located like 200 feet from a metro.
- Modern, clean, comfortable room. Spacious too.
- Nice staff. Speak English well.
- Spacious lobby.
- Free, strong WiFi in the rooms.
- Lots of sports channels.

Cons:
- Price
- There are other, more expensive hotels slightly down the street near the waterfront. If you're into bragging, telling your poker buddies you stayed in the Holiday Inn in Hong Kong probably won't get you the reaction you're looking for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Iqaluit, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My mum and I decided to get a hotel in Tsim Tsa Tsui so we could shop all day at our favorite stores and not have to make the commute home the same day (It takes about an hour to get back to where we live). We have stayed here in the past with no problem and have always been satisfied with the value compared to accommodations. Exhausted we went back to the hotel and got ready for bed. My mum opened the minibar and noticed that there was a bottle of water with part of the water missing and showed it to me. I told her not to worry about it. They're not going to charge us for their mistake. We didn't think about it again, checked out and were happy overall with our stay.

My mum checked her credit card statement and saw a charge for 100HK for minibar usage. When she called the hotel and told them what happened they pretty much called her a liar and wouldn't refund her money. My mom spoke with a manager and the best answer she could get from them is "anyone can say what you're saying and you should of said something before you checked out so its your problem now and not ourst". Now, it's just 100HK dollars (13 Canadian)...not the end of the world but its the principal of the matter. WE DIDN'T DRINK THE WATER. We have stayed in hotels all around the world and never in our lives have we been treated so poorly. We will never EVER be staying there again and will be telling our fellow hong kong friends who like to stay overnight after a day of shopping to not do so either.

I'm very disappointed by this situation and it's a disgrace to the Holiday Inn name which is supposed to be customer service orientated. Accusing your customers of LIEING is so offensive and despicable... especially when they were not!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Rebecca F
HI_Golden_Mile, at Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Rebecca F,

Thank you for sharing with us your stay experience. We are very sorry to hear that your stay was soured by this incident. There is absolutely no excuse for our staff speaking to you in a rude manger. This unfortunately was a misunderstanding as to the type of charge placed on your mother’s credit card. We checked our detailed records and found that the minibar charge was for an adaptor plug that we sell, not for a bottle of water. We would like to apologize for the poor handling of your phone enquiry, we failed to explain this clearly over the phone and this resulted in such a misunderstanding. Please be assured that we are committed to putting the guests first, we will remind our staff to handle future cases with a more professional manner and to be more courteous. Lastly, as a courtesy we have processed a refund for the adaptor charge to your credit card.

We value your support in the past and we hope this incident did not affect your impression on us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,
Holiday Inn Golden Mile
Gold Coast Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel over 30 years ago and have stayed here intermittently since that time. I was here for business for a week and stayed here as my regular hotel was booked out. Whilst it is not the flashiest hotel in HK, it is central, comfortable and good value for money. For an old hotel, it has been well maintained and my room was comfortable. The pool area was clean and the water a nice temperature. I had all breakfasts here and they were excellent. They cater for many different types of cultures with a huge variety. I also ate at the chinese and italian restaurants and both were excellent and well-priced.
If I was after real luxury I doubt if I would stay here, but as a business base it was all that I needed and its location, so close to the MTR was a real bonus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business