Location is great. There is no doubt about that. However, the price is not great considering it is a Holiday Inn. I have paid slightly more than I paid this time to stay in Marco Polo and other 5-star hotels in HK. The rooms are about what you expect for Holiday Inn, so nothing to complain about there.
However, the hotel staff committed two cardinal sins during my stay, which is why I am giving such a poor review. First, they added a donation to their charity to my bill without my approval. I REALLY hate when hotels do this. I don't mind an option somewhere to donate. I don't even mind them asking upon checkout if you would like to donate. But I HATE when they add something to your bill without your knowledge or approval.
Second, I speak fairly fluent Cantonese. During checkout, in which the aforementioned billing issue was raised among other things, I spoke nothing but Cantonese. The hotel staff understand and answered all of my queries. Unfortunately, he spoke only English. This is just a pet peeve and in my mind is a training issue. Unless you can't understand or are unable to speak yourself, you speak what the guest is speaking, full stop. To me, it is very condescending to not speak your mother language to someone when they are speaking it to you because you assume they won't understand because of your appearance. Furthermore, the checkout staff has no idea where I am from. He has no idea if I am Russian, German, Italian, or come from one of a hundred other places that don't necessarily speak English. More importantly, he understood my Cantonese. So there was no need to speak anything else.
Overall, hotel is on par with other Holiday Inns in terms of rooms and amenities. But the price and two problems I mentioned above would keep me from returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the very heart of Kowloon’s bustling city centre, the Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong offers business and leisure travellers a vibrant location, contemporary conveniences, and all the luxuries of home while away. The hotel provides 621 invitingly comfortable twin, double or king size beds equipped guest rooms and suites, Executive Club floors, award-winning restaurants, bar, function rooms, a landscaped rooftop pool, a state-of-the-art health club, free Wi-fi and entertainment. The hotel also installs handy smartphone in all its guest rooms. Guests can use the phone throughout the stay, with unlimited data and calls to Hong Kong, Australia, India, China, Taiwan and UK included for free. Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong is adjacent to the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) which leads to Hong Kong’s major commercial and tourist districts. The famous Star Ferry is within five minutes walking distance and Hong Kong International Airport is just a forty-minute drive away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hotel Hong Kong
- Holiday Inn Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong