“disaster in the middle of nowhere”

Ranked #46 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“disaster in the middle of nowhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a major event. Worst trained banquet staff ever witnessed. Food was disgusting, cold when arriving, vegetables looked worse than from frozen, 2 people on our one table fell ill right after dinner. Lunches were not much better. Breakfast at the Hotel Restaurant is okay...
Valet parking even for booking their event hall for 2 days and taking 50 rooms was charged at HKD 600. They do not tell you this on check-in. In the public parking opposite is HKD 80. Don't fall for this scam!
Generally a nice property but needs to upgrade its service and food severely to even get 3 points.
For travellers from Overseas - this is like Frankfurt Hahn airport that is actually 1 1/2 hours from Frankfurt. Kowloon East is misleading. This place is in the New Territories in a residential area - you have no escape except the roof top bar (but only looking at residential buildings) - was half way decent.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank TCDHK
Carlos S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear TCDHK

Thank you for spending your valuable time to share your experience at Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the unpleasant experiences you have encountered.

Regarding the stated issues pertaining to the food provided, as you have experienced the event catered for over 500 people and fortunately we have not heard of additional adverse comments. In the future, please do not hesitate to bring any dissatisfaction to our immediate attention so we may rectify it on site.

All parking arrangements were coordinated in advance with the event organizers and complimentary parking assigned to those designated registration numbers provided with a special rate of $600 (for up to 36hrs, $17p/hr) having been negotiated with the organizers for cars over and above the complimentary parks assigned. We certainly felt privileged as a hospitality provider to be the chosen venue for this event and arranged additional benefits including but not limited to early in and late departures from as early as 8:30am through to 6pm the following day in recognition of such.

The naming of our hotels is about the easy access to Kowloon East which is only 2 MTR stations or 10 minutes by taxi away. We stated our hotel is located atop the Tseung Kwan O MTR station for our communication collaterals and Google map clearly indicates our location as displayed on the hotels official website.

That being said, we hope to have another opportunity for us to renew your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Best regards
Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hotel is not smack in the middle of the city, but it is very close to a MTR station so HK island is within a 30 min reach.

I found this hotel value for money as the rooms are big and the bathroom has a separate toilet, rain shower and bath. Best of all, the breakfast was excellent.

I really felt welcome as the staff is enthusiastic and willing to help with whatever question comes up.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Haaienvoer
DORKING
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

I will not repeat details on the location or rooms, ( which incidentally are terrific , I stayed on the 32 floor ) etc but this is a wonderful place to stay for one important reason, the staff are exceptional. From reception to the restauarant to room servce all the staff make you feel a very welcome guest which makes for an enjoyable and memeorable stay, and quite different from many hotels who dont notice you at all. Over the years on busines I have stayed many nights in IHG hotels but because of the staff this is without doubt the best.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

I'd give 2 thumbs up for the hotel if you don't consider location as a major issue.
Although the hotel is connected with MTR, it is a bit far from the busy streets of Hong Kong. So if you want some peace and quiet environment, Kowloon East is the place for you.

I love the rooftop open air bar. The service was also great from the bartenders to the bell men to the front desk officers, everyone was exceptional and the hotel looked very fancy.

The rooms are spacious and the bathroom is well structured, and it has large bay windows. I also wrote about them in my blog.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tseung Kwan O, null, Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed here for one night and it was excellent. The bed was HUGE! and all the amenities included were amazing. We got upgraded to a deluxe room because we had booked online and I guess the girl at the reception was feeling generous! We also called to get a late check out at 2pm and it didnt cost a penny. The only complaint is that we couldn't stay for longer!

Room Tip: Any room, they are all beautiful and you will receive great service!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KarenC89x
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

The hotel is quite new with a design style from the lobby to the guest room. The place is clean on regular basis and very well maintained thanks to the management and the efficient staff.
I had a room at the highest floors with a great reliable service which is an added value especially on a business trip after a long day. The hotel offers a business package which includes for instance free dry cleaning done within the same day.

Breakfast offers a wide variety of choice of tasty food and drinks. The fitness room is fully equipped with cardio and weight stations.

As regard to the location: indeed it is far away from the main sights of Kowloon or Hong Kong island; however, there a is a MRT station right at the feet of the hotel that lead you to TTS in about 20 to 25 minutes. Furthermore, there is a wide shopping mall with plenty of restaurants and a movie theater that is connected to the hotel.

Great stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GREG_H_FR
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stay 1st jan 2014 to 3rd jan 2014

Crowne Plaza HK Kowloon East is situated at Tsuen Kwan O (TKO) at the east side of Kowloon. It is built on-top of a shopping mall known as Popcorn Mall. Crowne Plaza is a 47 storey Hotel with an Italian Restaurant on the Top Floor known as (CIELO). Let's look at how my 3 days 2 nights stay when during the New Year of 2014 =)

Check-in

My Taxi had pulled up at the front of CPHK-KE and i had 2 luggages in the taxi. The taxi driver had helped me carried out my luggages but the 2 doormen standing behind the stand just looked at me without helping me with my luggages even the taxi driver was shocked. So i just pulled them into the lobby when another Doorman had helped me with it. I proceeded to the check-in counter when Ms. Pamela had assisted me in my Check-in. We had a nice small chat and she had also introduced me the Club Manager Ms. Renie. Check-in when well and i was given Room 4507. They had assured me they my coming 3 days will be great (Which it definately has).

Rating: 9.5/10 (only the luggage problem)

Room

I was given a Corner King Size Room and for a Hong Kong Hotel, this room is Big and Spacious (you can see from the video below). The Room is shaped like a half curved due to the design of the building. Which made it bigger including the Toilet which i love it! Lets look at each part of the room.

The toilet is made mostly of marble which made it had the "Rich" feeling. It consist of a huge bathtub that faces to mounted mini-tv. Great for soaking into the bathtub while watching ur fav shows. The shower area is separated to another corner where next to it was the bidet area. My fav area in the toilet would have to be the Vanity Area. It had a huge mirror and the sink area had ample space for our own personal toiletries. The hotel toiletries they supply on club floors are from the brand "Kenji" and it was really good and refreshing.

Now the room is huge as said due the shape of the building. The King size bed is really really awesome .. as in it totally just sucks you in .. disallowing you the leave the bed (which is honestly a good thing for me). The room consist of a 42" LCD TV (if I'm not wrong) which enables you shift the position. We had a view of HIX and other parts of TKO area. Some hotels hardly do "turndown services", thankfully CPKHKG does! As the pix below, we were given their hotel chocolates (Yums) =). The room really had a Homey feeling and whenever i opened my room door from my outings, i know that i am HOME! =)

Room Rating: 10/10

Facilities and Restaurants:

Gym: Gym area for me is quite ok thou i expected to be slightly better but it still good. Clean, neat, service staff was attentive and helpful

Pool: Sadly i didn't get to use the pool as it was going for a schedule maintenance, so can't comment on here.

The Chef's Table: This was where we had our breakfast and i actually like the design of the restaurant. It had a very warm and bright colours that made the restaurant feel like home. As we only had our breakfast, the selection here are quite good mostly on Quality rather than Quantity! The staffs are very friendly and helpful thou language is slightly a barrier but thats ok. I enjoyed the food that has made by the chef's here! Thou i feel the fruit juice is quite limited, hopefully to see more selection on this. Other than that everything when well for the past 3 days here

Club Floor: The club floor of this hotel is located on the very top floor @ the 47th Floor that is shared together with their Italian Restaurant. My whole stay i was taken care by Ms. Renee and her team! She has been really friendly and we even shared about each of our country's culture =D. I mostly visited quite often here and they serve really authentic Italian cuisine. Thou the choices were limited but still it was good Quality Choices =). I really enjoyed the cosiness of this club lounge as it is really peaceful and quiet + the staffs here were very attentive. The view at the Club Floor is amazing being on the 47th Floor. We had views of TKO areas and a part of the sea view of HKG East side. It really made you feel like you were away from HKG.

Sevice: Service @ Crowne Plaza here is great. They made you feel very welcome right from the door step of the hotel of your stay until you have left your hotel the day you check-out. The Team at CP is really amazing and friendly. They brought the warm smile and always treated you not only just a Guest of the hotel but as a friend. Every night there is also a turndown service from and they placed their 2 little chocolates onto the fluffy pillows.This little mic touches just always makes you smile and know that you are very well taken care off very much.

Service: 10/10

Overall: I truly enjoyed this hotel very much and would definitely be back to stay here. Thou traveling to the main city is far but its also convenient as the MTR is just below the POPCORN MALL TKO Station. Club floor definately for sure. I'll be back again Crowne plaza HK Kowloon East =).

Thank you the Mr. Carlos/Ms. Josephine and the team for everything and this wonderful experience.

Overall Rating: 8.5/10