“Alternative to hustling and bustling Hong Kong city hotels”

Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East
Ranked #50 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The location is far away from busy Hong Kong and Kowloon area but it is no problem because there is MTR station nearby. You can reach Central in 15 min by MTR. The price is 40% lower than Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay and the room is bigger. As platinum member, the hotel really appreciates our loyalty by serving us free bottle of wine, room upgrade and one extra breakfast buffet. Even though the location is far but there are so many restaurant around, We even try California Pizzza Kitchen in the mall. So far we are happy with our stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ucartech
Write a ReviewReviews (1,431)

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

It is a quite new hotel, although it is a bit far from the city but there is a shopping mall down stairs of the hotel and mtr station(tube), if you don't mind a 20 - 30mins trip to the city, actually it's not a bad choice. Good deal too

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed six nights in this hotel for Xmas break and was impressed with the room , service and food. The rooms are all modern and spacious, decorated with taste. We were given a free upgrade without any request. The spa is fantastic (apparently the best chain in Hongkong)...Prerna at spa was very professional and I had one of the best facial during my stay.

Also the concierge was excellent, especially Vincent the chief concierge who was always ready to help. The breakfast was excellent with both international and oriental cuisine.

MTR station is a minute walk from the hotel and super convenient as attached to the shopping mall. However, it does take 20-25 min to get to central with the train change (super easy as just change of platform from one train to another and trains are timed to connect with each other). We travelled with 15 month old baby and had no trouble whatsoever. It's a bit far away from central but the hotel rate and the luxury compared to other hotels was worth the travel.

For those of you who do not want to take the MTR, the taxi cost around 100HKD from main places and takes around 20 minutes. Taxis are relatively cheaper. The ride from airport costs around 300HKD.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank shilay19
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is really nice and the location is also good.

The front desk service standard however, is shocking.

There is no line up system in the hotel front desk area. The staff seems like to serve customers in a random way.
I checked in on 8 dec at around 11pm. A big group of people at the front desk, i lined up behind the group, but the front desk staff decided to serve others who arrived later than me. It is very late at night and I was tired so can't be bother to make the complaint.

However, same things happened when I checked out on 10 dec. There wasn't any line system at the front desk. There was a staff stood in the front desk area, so I asked her where should I wait to be served. She gave me an instruction and i followed. However, the other front desk staff again randomly serve whoever in front of them who arrived later than me. Additionally, they even offered service to a man who stood behinf me. OMG! I cant belive this. The lady who gave me the instruction where to line up saw the whole situation, she offered no help but a hopeless smile.

I became really angry and asked to see the front desk manager. The lady asked me to wait because the front desk manager was busy to do the check out for other customers. While there were other at least 4 staff were free at that time, I don't know why the front desk manager can't let them take care of the check out and handle me - an angry customer, in a timely manner.

When I finally met the front desk manager, the first thing he declared was he doesn't speak Chinese, so please speak in English. What a joke! If he doesn't speak Chinese he shouldnt be in this job. So does it mean if you don't speak english, you can't make complaint because he cant communicate with the local language? I asked for his business card and he handled in by a single hand with such a disrespectfully manner. I don't know why crown plaza offered the important role to a person with no local language skills and no basic business manner.

The hotel is quite nice but totally no impressed by the front desk customer service and the unqualified front desk manager. It damaged the brand of crown plaza.

• Stayed: December 2012
7  Thank Echoi2000
Ricky L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear TVBA

Thank you for your valuable time to sharing your experience at Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East. Please accept our sincere apologies with regards to the experience you encountered while staying with us.

Please accept our heartfelt apologies and rest assured that we have taken your comments very seriously and will look into the matter in depth and strive to improve our service. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have another opportunity to seeing you again in the future.

Best regards
Dominique Berhouet

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The room in Crowne Plaza Kowloon East was great, spacious by HK standard and quite high-tech.
There's ipod speaker docking, a cable to plug into your laptop so you can use the big LED TV screen to display your laptop.

Being a new hotel, the room was very nice indeed, hopefully they could maintain the whole facility. The spa manager / supervisor was extremely helpful. Were there to get a massage for 5 people, but there's only 3 masseurs available and the third one is actually en route to the spa. He tried his best to keep us company and provide us with some waters and keep a conversation going to make sure our wait for the 3rd masseur is not boring, which I really appreciate, too bad I can't give review about the spa service since when the 3rd masseur arrived and my friend went in for his spa session, me and my other friend decided not to wait and go somewhere else.

The only downside of this hotel so far was it's location which is quite far from the city center and would be quite hard to get if you're coming back all the way from the city @ night when the MTR has stopped.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 3mt1
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed in Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East hotel during our trip in Hong Kong. This property is located out side Hong Kong city although it is easy to reachable. The hotel itself attached to a mall and the metro station. Its two minutes walk through the mall to the hotel entrance. Crown Plaza and Holiday Inn Express facing each other. Its brand new and thier swimming pool is not yet open. nice view from the room too.

Room Tip: Thier club rooms are good and the Higher floor you get the better view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shihab K
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Arrival: I arrived from the Hong Kong airport via the bus, E22A. The trip was about 1hr 15min and the bus stop is right in front of the TKO MTR station and you will walk through the MTR station taking exit C then through the mall and there is an entrance to the hotel from the mall. You could just walk around the block if you like and I am not so sure it isn’t somewhat easier.

Check In: Quick but not much information provided unless I asked. I was upgraded to a nicer deluxe room as a Priority Club Platinum member and also given free internet, drink coupon and breakfast. It is for one person apparently but that was fine as I was alone. The check in person spoke good English and was very helpful. I found the front desk very helpful whenever I needed anything.

The Room: I found the room very nice. I did have an upgraded room so don’t know what the regular room is like but this one was very nice. I liked the view of the mountains and that is about the only view you will get at this property. There are too many switches and a little confusing what you are turning on or off so that could have been done better but minor in my mind. There is also a power adapter in the room for loan and you will be charged if you take it with you. There is also a mini-bar but it is a bit hidden as it blends into the furniture. Nice LCD/plasma screen with plenty of channels and there was also connections so you could hook up your devices and play it on the TV. Overall, I found the room very comfortable.

Internet: The internet seems controlled capped per user which is a good thing as it should mean a better experience for each user and I found the internet to work very well. They had wired in the room and wireless.

Dining: On my arrival night I dined out on the terrace of the Italian Restaurant having some items off their snack menu and the food was very good. It was hotel restaurant prices but it was good. I really liked sitting out there and even though it was pretty cool out that evening there was quite a few people out there. I imagine it gets very busy when the weather is nice and may not be enough room. I had breakfast every morning at the Chefs Table and it was very good, fresh and plenty of options including noodles and dim sum so it is not all western options. I also had dinner at the Chefs Table one evening and found the prices for most menu options to be too expensive and the buffet was reasonable in its price if you wanted to eat that much food but just too much for me. I did also eat dinner in the Italian Restaurant (not the terrace) and the food and service was good. It was good but not great. I had a drink in the lobby lounge and found it to be nice but a little boring. They do have some light snacks and desert but nothing substantial with regards to food and I think the lady working the lobby lounge has to go up to the Chefs Table to get drinks and to get your bill prepared etc so if nobody is around when you arrive that may be why. Be careful if you think you are going to sit in the lobby as those seats are for customers only it appeared as I saw them show people to an area behind the stairs if they wanted to sit in the lobby and not order anything. I did see the club lounge as I was at the Italian restaurant and it was simply a little sitting area in the restaurant area and I would be disappointed if I had paid for club floor access and that was it.

Location: The location is remote and not much going on. There are a couple of shopping malls nearby the Popcorn mall which is a little nicer which is connected to the hotel and there is a walkway on the second floor of that mall to another cheaper mall which has some cheaper food options and a grocery store inside as well. If you don’t mind taking a longer ride on the MTR to Hong Kong/Kowloon to do your site seeing then you will get a much better room at a better price. So you will have to decide if it is worth the hassle. I found it nice to stay away from the hustle of the heart of Kowloon.

Amenities: There is a nice workout facility and pool but I didn’t use either. I did use the SPA and it was nice enough and they had a promotion that I was able to take advantage of. Service was professional but I don’t know that I would pay the regular prices. Just a tip, always ask if there is a promotion when calling a hotel spa in Asia. There usually is one.

Departure: This got a little tricky. I decided to take a taxi as I did not want to get up early to catch the bus back to the airport. It took at least 10 minutes to get a taxi for me and I wouldn’t be surprised as this isn’t a pretty common problem so plan ahead with regards to taxi’s. The return trip was about 45 minutes and that was with some pretty thick traffic during the first part of the morning as it was rush hour on a Monday morning. The cost was under 300HKD I think with a generous tip if memory serves me correctly.

Conclusion: The hotel is remote but I really enjoyed my stay and will return if the Platinum benefits remain the same as they were on this trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo