“Nice hotel”

Holiday Inn Express HONG KONG KOWLOON EAST
Ranked #83 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel locates in Cheung Kwan O which is not a very convenient location. Howevere, it is very close to the MTR station. It takes only about 3 minutes to walk there through the mall. For your reference, it takes around 20-25 minutes to get to Central from there.
The reception of this hotel is spacious and quite modern. The staff are not very helpful though. When we checked out, my boyfriend and I waited for 1-2 minutes for one of the 3 female receptionists to entertain us. 1-2 minutes doesn't sound bad but actually there were no other guest before us. They were ignoring us and trying to finish what they were doing. Attitude was not very good either.
The room is very clean and they have all basic facilities. I really like the iPhone dock which allows you to play music in your room. The view from our room is amazing.
There are 4 choices in breakfast and it is quite delicious.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachhh_K
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express HONG KONG KOWLOON EAST

Reviewed December 22, 2012

The hotel is gd and clean. Front desk staffs are polite and helpful.
The choices of breakfast are limited but is fine for me.
However, the waitresses are impolite and rude. I need to hesitate my choose of breakfast, she keep asking my order. (why cant I hv some time)
After that, I would like to hv skim milk instead of full cream. She CANNOT understand what is skim milk, and repeat it is "Trappist Dairy" (十字牌). In the meantime, my fd repeat in Chinese "脫脂奶".
I really wonder a hotel does not offer skim milk choice, or she cannot understand chinese/english.
Also, waitresses keep talking loudly when I was hving my meal.
It really rude and bad experience!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dominique B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express HONG KONG KOWLOON EAST, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear joyce_yanli

Thank you for your valuable time on sharing your experience at Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Kowloon East and compliments to our Front Desk staff and hotel facilities. Please accept our sincere apologies with regards to the service experience you encountered while having breakfast.

Please rest assured that we have taken your comments very seriously and we have been passed this review to the restaurant management for corrective measures. Please accept our heartfelt apologies and we have taken your comments very seriously and will look into the matter in depth and strive to improve. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have another opportunity to see you again in the future.

Best regards
Dominique Berhouet
Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Kowloon East

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Clean and comfortable stay. Very convenient as it is right on top of the MTR station. I love the shopping mall right below. Friendly staff and complementary breakfast and free wifi. We got a free upgrade from a two bed room to a three bed room. However, the members of tour group from mainland China are sometimes rude and pushy in the elevator.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed a week and appreciated the comfort and cleanliness of our room on the floor. Not fully convinced by the trendy combination bathroom/shower door. The arrangement meant that when one was in the shower the other had open access to the bathroom to brush teeth or shave or whatever, but it also meant that after a shower the inside of the bathroom door was wet and dripped on the floor. Hard to beat the look, though.

This was one of the few hotels I have experienced that really means it when they say they won't change sheets unless signalled to do so (leave the card on the bed). They did change the towels every day but one, however, usually ignoring the signal of leaving the towels hanging instead of on the floor.

Breakfast was included, but forgettable. We wound up taking it only twice in a week. There are better options in Hong Kong!

Tseung Kwan O MTR station was very convenient, as was the Popcorn mall and its amenities. Although this hotel was a bit outside the central parts of Hong Kong, nothing was far with the MTR at our doorstep.

There were a few areas needing some attention, perhaps just part of the breaking in period for a new hotel.

There should be some indication that the room key is required to operate the elevator from 23:00 to 07:00. We worked it out because of the reviews below, but there is neither a sign nor a verbal mention of it at check-in time.

We were welcomed enthusiastically, but it took three people to check us in for no apparent reason. Front desk staff all seemed keen and friendly, but still a bit green.

Our first morning we got a copy of the South China Morning Post hanging on our door in a newspaper bag. Nice. It was also the last day we got a newspaper at our door. We enquired, and were offered a newspaper which, when it failed to materialize the next morning, we were told that maybe someone else had picked it up. We were given another newspaper at the desk, which is the sort handed out for free on street corners and MTR stations. A total mystery. Is a newspaper provided, or not? And if so, which one?

We had a King room, which came equipped with a sofa rather than a second bed. But when we arrived the sofa had been pulled out and made into a bed for no obvious reason. We called to have it put back into a sofa before going out for dinner and this was done by the time we got back. Still, a bit odd on arrival.

Overall, the room was nice, housekeeping seemed efficient, staff were really trying hard, but still a little rough around the edges. Not a luxury hotel, but not luxury hotel prices, either.

All mod cons included, wifi, tv, safe, decent bathroom, even with the trendy dual-purpose door. Comfortable bed, iThing dock/charger.

No floors ending in 4 (4, 14, 24), and no 13th floor, so no worries about superstitions, east or west. 8th floor outdoors deck looks like a nice place to relax in decent weather.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vague-a-bond
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I booked this place because it was one stop away from family. This was my first hotel stay in Hong Kong and I was a little weary. I'm use to clean hotels and big rooms from North American places so I was a little worried about Hong Kong with the known little rooms.

This holiday inn is located in a quieter location in Hong Kong. Sure it's far away from the hustle and bustle of place like Causeway Bay, Central, TST, and Mongkok, but if you don't mind riding the subway and prefer a quiet sleep, this is a good location. Believe me, I've been to places not as busy as Causeway Bay and never got a good rest because of street noise.

The Holiday Day Inn Express is conveniently connected to a decent size mall (Popcorn mall), a couple apartment complex malls, grocery stores, movie theatre, restaurants, and mostly importantly the subway station (MTR). This comes in handy if you prefer to stay in for a night. Also, they offer FREE wifi that works really well unlike their sister hotel Crowne Plaza that charges for Internet use.

Upon arriving on our first night, my husband and I were greeted with great service. The staff are very polite and are very helpful. They were always willing to help and quick with service. Most are fluent in English and those who aren't try their best to help you anyways. Quick tip: after a certain time at night, the only way you can use the elevator is to swipe your key card at the left number panel inside the elevator and then press your floor number. This is a common security feature in Hong Kong places (hotels and newer apartments).

The hotel offers a set breakfast at one of the partnered restaurants. There are four choices (Chinese, western, cereal, and a vegetarian). My husband and I are Asian so we were use to all four selections. We preferred the congee (Chinese set) overall and it was pretty decent considering it was a set meal. You also get, orange juice and coffee or Hong Kong style tea.

The hotel has been opened for a month so my "clean" expectations were pretty high. I'm a clean freak so I bring Lysol wipes with me to every hotel. The room was clean for the most part but I would bring slippers with you and definitely do not recommend to go bare feet in the bathroom or on the carpets. You can tell that in one year the rooms wouldn't be as clean. However that is to be expected with this kind of hotel.

Major con: too many tour groups. This hotel had too many tour groups for our liking. They smoked on our NON SMOKING floor and cause the hallways and our bathroom to smell of smoke. When we confronted the front desk, they sent house keeping to spray our room. Everyone apologized but said unfortunately people will sneak a puff or two. However, they are no signs in the rooms saying it is non smoking and only showed it on the outside door. They also talked super loud in the late hours every night and early morning. They even set off our fire alarm one night from the smoke. They are very pushy in the elevators and don't move when you need to get off. Also try to get breakfast either before or after the group rush because you'll be left without a seat or a poor selection of food. However if you have no patience for big tour groups then I definitely do not recommend this hotel to you then. Even for my husband and I (we are Chinese) it was a bit much for us to handle for five days.

All in all, I would stay here again if I have to budget again. However, if I could afford a more expensive place then I would do my research into staying at a higher rated star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rebbec18
Reviewed December 2, 2012

HIX East Kowloon has been open one month and there are a few kinks to work on but it's great. Priority member so on a high floor with an interesting view of reclaiming land, giant condo buildings and a small bay. Night is magnificent with lights on 50 stories of adjacent buildings and across the bay. Rooms are compact in the new HIX China model but adequate. Internet free as always and no issues. About 20 minutes with one transfer to Central on the subway located below the giant mall below the hotel! Breakfast is one of 4 fixed trays and no changes. Adequate but not over abundant nor interesting. Lots of Chinese tour buses so the model fits but if this is not your culture or lifestyle make sure you are not on their sleeping floors. Shoppers paradise and some very good restaurants in the Mall. Once a month young entrepreneurs sell their goods in the Mall and its fun to talk, watch and maybe buy. Laundry not in place so they took mine outside and the refrigerators are not yet in the suites. Lovely outside veranda to hang in good weather with net swings, couches and a fresh breeze.

Room Tip: High is high if you don't like heights but its quiet. See above for other comments.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ynleung
Reviewed November 22, 2012

If there is no need to be in the traditional tourist areas of Hong Kong and is able to use the transit system, the newly opened Holiday Inn Express in Tseung Kwan (East Kowloon) is a good alternative.

Rooms are more or less the same standard units as seen in the newly opened HI Express in Soho (HK Island). The (plastic?) doors of the shower leaked both here and in the Soho building.

Breakfast is included in the rates, and accordingly the breakfast restaurant (2nd fl) is clogged at peak times. There is no self service, luckily. In staff challenged European HI Express hotels a customer may lose his table seat while going to get additional items, if travelling solo. This risk does not exist, but waiting times were long. On my third day, I noticed individual customers were picked out of line and given preference, triggering fairly visible protests from Chinese tourist groups lining up as well.

To and from the HK international airport, bus line E22 gives direct transportation - and at a lower rate than a combination with the Airport Express Train and MTR would.

The hotel (and the neighbouring Crowne Plaza) are located directly above the Tseung Kwan O station and bus terminal. The airport line E22 does not call in the bus station though and has to be boarded at a street stop (and closes at 21.30).

I stayed during the same week both in the HI Express and in the Crowne Plaza. Conditions in the CP are more pleasurable, of course, but the difference is not that great - if you do not need room service and do not mind encountering other travellers. I am planning to stay in this hotel again next week.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo