“Superb buffet lunch”

Cuisines: Spanish, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Description: Enthusiasts of delectable gastronomy and fine food art can expect heavenly and creative dishes that best epitomize the essence of east meets west at Le Chef, our restaurant on the mezzanine floor. Sourcing only premium ingredients, the menu is paired with the sophisticated notes of a wide selection of fine wines.
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Le Chef restaurant is located on the first floor of the Metropark hotel. We had the buffet lunch which was really excellent and good value. Superb sushi, good selection of sea food, various salads, a jamon for self-carving, good selection of hot dishes and fabulous desserts. All were kept replenished. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very busy so would recommend making a reservation as can imagine at times it gets very full.

As we were finishing our lunch the chef came out to have a chat which we thought was a really nice touch.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was pleased to receive invitation from PR to try their new menu for Chinese New Year of public relations. Though it is a bit late to post it here, I believe that this would still let other tourist to think whether they want to try this restaurant in general.

In fact, I really felt strange and curious when I know that the eight courses menu contains both French style and Chinese style food. Said eight dishes, of which a significant proportion are Chinese, some is French, also infiltrating Japanese elements. Thanks to Chef’s Papa, who is a Chinese chef, teaching this restaurant’s French Chef to cook Chinese Food in some French way.

Let’s skip the bread basket and the house red I took in that evening, which they are averagely well. We started the appetizer after some bread. The presentation of appetizers looks like Shanghainese cuisine. Eight small dishes of food are placed above the same black colour wood plate. Said eight dishes are honey barbeque pork, the Japanese shichimi tofu, foie gras on toast shrimp balls in mayonnaise, braised Pork Belly in honey soya sauce, abalone dumplings, jellyfish and sweet & sour baby cucumber.

We had a soup after the appetizers. The gold-like crab meat soup is so creamy and with a heavily sweet note from pumpkin. The secret lies in the effort of the chef using ground cooked pumpkin but no flour added in the soup. Plus the occasionally bite of crab meat resulting in double sweetness and I found it is so enjoyable.

A big prawn is waiting for me after the soup. The chef uses a local familiar soya sauce, that we call it Maggi, to treat the prawns. Maggi is so aromatic but it seems that her tastes cannot penetrate in the cell of the prawn. Though the prawn is chewy, I feel a little bit disappointed about that.

I found that the next dish is so Chinese that you can find it every Chinese restaurant in HK. The chef uses a lot of dried scallop to come with the vegetable that I would call it pea shoot. Since it is a young growth from pea, the tissue is so delicate. Combining with tasty sauce with umami taste from scallop, this is a good one but too salty.

Before eating the last red meat dish, we have a dish of steamed sea bass fillet with white asparagus in sea urchin sauce. Again, this dish was cooked with infiltration of Chinese elements. With the soy sauce and scallions, the steamed Australia seabass is sweet and aromatic. The two small underlying asparagus is also delicate in texture. However, the taste of urchin cannot be felt in the whole dish.

The last main course is Sauteed US Beef in Garlic. By frying the beef cube with garlics and scallions, a bite of it is fleshy but strangely soft. Nevertheless, we got garlic and scallions for the beef. The taste would be good as usual, but I really dubious to believe that the beef is a dry-aged one.

The beef comes with the Fried rice in Lotus Leaves. By using abalone seafood sauce, the rice itself, in theory, should be tasty. Unfortunately I found the rice has no smell of lotus leaf as well as abalone taste. The Chef explained that this is because they want to make the taste of beef outstanding. Whether you believe it or not, I would be sorry to say that I don’t buy this idea.

The final course is a dessert that combines Chinese and French food. We got some Caramel Brulee inside the deep fried dumpling. Deep fried dumpling is a dessert for Chinese New Year. With its crispy texture and taste of seasame, it is always good enough to eat alone, but now we have creame brulee inside. It tastes like sweet egg custard sauce that it is a bit too sweet for me. In conclude, you might found that this dish is not as good as fried dumpling and cream brulee in separate, yet creative.

Last but not least, please be noted that this meal was invited by the Hotel and I was charged in nothing. But I really hope that this review helps.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've tried the special menu for Chinese New Year 2013, there were totally 8 course included dessert and drink for $268 per pax. The interior design of Le Chef using Black and Red as main theme, while the dishes presented in Western style too.

The appetizer was a Dim Sum sampler included BBQ Pork Belly, cucumber and jellyfish, deep-fried tofu, etc. Taste great but seems a bit too much for a starter. Pumpkin bisque with crab meat was rich and smooth, also the steamed sea bass was surprisingly success as we always cook sea bass in grill or bake.

Besides, the seasonings in some of the dishes were too strong which cover the original taste of the fresh ingredient. And using fork and knife to have Chinese cuisine was troublesome indeed. Fortunately the dessert was amazing by using a custard base filled in a Jin Deui [deep-fried sesame pastry ball], crispy and chewy for the outer shell while the filling hot and creamy.

Among all the dishes served in the special menu, it was above average and there is still a room for improvement.

1  Thank MeganSoSo
Reviewed January 24, 2013

So impressed after I been there, Great food, great vaule. Great service with and comfortable deco. Must try!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

New fushion menu of CNY 2013, 8 sourses $468 .

le chef sampler: Very nice presentain, include 8 diffferent appetizers, like BBQ pork, Abalone shumai,Goose liver toast etc, good for sharing.

Main dish: Love King pawn very much, really fresh with simple maggie sauce is already good enough to serve. Steamed sea bass fillet is so suprising me , meat are so soft and light to go with urchin sauce.

Dessert is quite interesting, deep fired sesame dumping filled with custard in Lycium caramel sauce. Chineses-look but western filling , justt like eating creme brulee with crispy sesame shell, taste is absoulutely match when the whole thing melt in my mouth!

1  Thank JayK1030