“Great unique food...can do more on ambiance!”
Review of Tbls - CLOSED

Tbls
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed June 17, 2012

All my friends seem to be raving about this place so I decided to make a booking. Was surprised the first availability was a month away! Needless to say, that builds up expectation. The food is unique with a combination of comfort food and fine dining. The way they made sloppy Joe and fish finger dinner elegant is quite interesting. Having a personal introduction to each course was great! don't change that! The only thing that bothers me a bit is the ambiance. Our table was right by the door with lots of people walking back and forth. There was a fan on the floor that was blowing straight at our table and at the back of my friends sitting across from me. The price they charge and the experience you get seem misaligned all of a sudden. Turns out to be quite expensive per head with 3 bottles of wine between the 4 of us. Great experience, might think twice before going back....

There are newer reviews for Tbls

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Was an adventure to get the table reservation and thus my expectations were pretty high . Location : typical private kitchen ' s style . Neither fancy nor poor , just on average . Service : a little too many people walking around you , considering the space is not too big . But polite and attentive have to say . What I do not like is the chef's and waiter's introduction to each course : I do not need to know the name or the ingredient's of the plate , I can read it in the menu . What I like is someone telling me the "story" of an ingredient or what is supposed to make that dish special ... What we've got was a "walking menu". Food : nothing to remember , the Chef prepared the food way in advance . Mushroom's soup was diluted , little hamburger like any other . The Maccaroni and cheese dish was a classic way to cook the "day before" but not as tasty as we do in Italy . The pork dish was ordinary, and the fried fish stick dish was nothing to rave about too . Dessert wise the banana moon pie was way too sweet (chef should remember that fruit are sweet already) and the ice cream on top of that pie, was melting in the hot dessert cup creating an almost liquid final experience (Chef , pls remember melting ingredient must be considered as melted at the end ) . The Macaroons sandwich's ice cream was good but the frozen macaroons were disappointing . They should have been fresh , not frozen . To complete this with my Asian girlfriend's impressions : too salty (not for my Italian palate to be true) , best thing for her was the wine . So a little bit too many pre-prepared food with no real Chef's action to be seen . Average food made the final bill disappointing for us . For those money I want more , I don't mind to spend even more but then I must have a good reason to come back . However, it will not happen here .

2  Thank Padrino-65
Reviewed April 25, 2012

So we got real lucky with reservations and scored a Saturday, I had called up and asked for the next available table any day and got Sat. Secret code to get into the building, my husband got a little wary when we were at the lobby but when we got to the restaurant it was pretty cool space, nothing fancy but nice with an outdoor terrace.
It was a 6 course dinner but actually it was 8 if you included the amuse bouche and the sorbet they gave us. My favourite was the first course, Hoegaarden Shrimp soup, served hot, creamy and great depth of flavour. It came with a tiny chicken nugget sandwich to die for, I could have eaten 50 of those! The rabbit pot pie was ok, The poached ocean trout was good ( the other couples fav), the braised pork shoulder with barley was melt in your mouth deliciousness. I wasn't crazy about the barley financier but my husband loved it but I loved the chef's home made macaroons, they were so chocolatey, crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle. Wish I had more then one.
Portions weren't very big but the right size, considering how rich and 6 courses to go through. We were all stuffed to the gills when we finished. Definitely worth a second, third, fourth.......visit.
Service was very good, very attentive without being intrusive, Chef came out to introduce his courses, very nice personal touch.
One more thing, I had asked him where he got his poblano chilies in HK and he told me that he got them imported in from the US, I must have looked crestfallen so at the end of the night he bagged up 2 bags of New Mexico and Guajillo just for me. What a sweetheart.
My group all agreed that the food was simply fabulous, wonderful experience and a must bring overseas friend to eat place when they visit HK.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

TBLS is a very unique dining experience - very inventive, creative food that is also delicious. We got our reservation by email three months in advance and were emailed the pass code to the front door a couple of days before the date of the reservation. The chef explained each course immediately after it was presented. We dined in front of the open kitchen which added to the performance. The only regret is that TBLS is in Hong Kong and not closer to home! I would highly recommend this restaurant for a totally different (not Asian food) dining experience in Hong Kong.