“Recently renovated”

Kwok Wah Hotel
Ranked #81 of 158 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
“Recently renovated”
Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Kwok Wah for three nights in June before we read about the adverse comments posted by someone who stayed there in April. Since our experience with the hotel is very different to the other traveller, we made enquiries only to find out the management has changed since April 16,2012. The other traveller stated the "boss" had a bad attitude, but in fact, that person was not the boss at all. She was just the front desk manager and she is no longer around. The service we received was excellent. The hotel also underwent renovation in may/June. I strongly recommend Kwok Wah.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Peterkt

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The location is excellent but the fact is there are 5 other hostels in the same building so there are a lot more choices than you think. Just google the address to find the others. The pictures and description of the place are absolutely deceiving. The pictures on Elong's website are probably controlled by the owner since I've tried uploading my own pics for 2 days on there and never worked. The good reviews are perhaps on an one night stay? I based my choice on those and what a huge regret and disappointment! My stay here was for 2 weeks so I can pretty much warn you about what it is truly like.

Before I even get into the details, keep in mind that I have already paid in full on the first night that we arrived. The owner and her helper chased after me, EVEN THOUGHT, our rooms were guaranteed with my credit card. They will not accommodate your needs when the money is already in their pocket. Not to mention I just arrived after a 16 hour flight. Was I suppose to have 11k HKD handy before I even settle down ?! Nowhere on Elong's website mentioned when to pay the hostel. Also, the amount of cleaning depends on how much you tip.

Second point I want to mention is that all the staffs I'd complainted to, for the first 3 nights, told me to wait until the boss arrives to work because they can't do anything without her consent. I believe she starts at 10am and randomly stays until 9ish. I guess you should delay your vaca plans or come back early if you really need to speak to her.

Thirdly, this is the kind of person you'll be dealing with. I had the liberty of waiting for 20 minutes while the owner was discussing about a room cancelation with a tour agent. It was concerning someone who is sick and wants to cancel a tour which had a booking in this hostel. The boss's response went like this.... "Is the person dead? Lying in a hospital? Well, anyone can get a doc's note. No way am I going to refund the money. If he can show me a note from a hospital, i can only refund 50%. That person just ran out of luck.". I understand this is purely how business is run in HK but um...... do you see a customer standing right in front of you? She must not care to show her true characteristics if that's the case.

Ok, so on with my comments. The reasons i wanted to talk to her were (1) the bathroom was clogged. Even during my first night stay before washing my hair but she blamed it's because of my shoulder length hair that caused it. I am to use the free toothbrush that they supplied and get the hair out of the drain by myself. Never heard that one before! All of you out there with some hair on you should beware. I had to wait 20 mins before the water drained for the first three nights. It seemed normal to the staff when I complainted to them and nothing was done until I spoke to the owner. Apparently, they fixed it that day and after that time, it only took 5 mins to drain but there were occasions when the water level got too high which caused a bit of flooding in my room and the one next door.

(2) Not sure if the leaking of the toilet water had anything to do with the bathroom being clogged but there was liquid ( and by liquid, i mean the pee and poo) coming out of it each time i flushed. The problem went away after they unclogged the main drain. So picture this, i was standing with an inch of filthy water everytime i took a shower. And her response was "I never heard of anyone before you complainted about the leaking." What does that got to do with anything???!!!

(3) Both of our rooms had no wifi even thought they advertised that the rooms did on Elong. It is only limited to the 5 or so rooms surrounding the router in the reception area. There are three chairs that you can use in the small lobby to go online if you really need to surf. They should really clear that up on that website and not put free internet access next to the room detail. Completely misleading. The boss had not a slight intention to switch my room given all of the above. When I spoke to another receptionist, she asked if I was willing to pay $500 HKD extra each to get wifi because those rooms are the deluxe singles which is slightly bigger than our rooms. On one occasion, some drunk guy, who doesn't have a room booked, came in to the wifi area and fell asleep there.

Both rooms stunk, in real need of a renovation and the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I traveled throughout Europe and US and know what a hostel should be like. I was raised in HK and had visited many times so the owner can save the "this is how it is in HK" response like she did to everyone else who had a negative comment. I mean, please, at least make it livable like a paid room should be.

Picture is worth a thousand words. I've posted photos I've taken of the my room. See for yourself. According to the owner's comment on the booking website, "it is only a little outdated"......ha.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family