“Great food at affordable prices”

Xia Fei Shanghainese Restaurant
Ranked #2,089 of 8,734 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Singapore
“Great food at affordable prices”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Heard this place served good food, so we decided to give it a try. It’s located on Basement 2, at the corner of the row of shoe shops, shouldn’t be that hard to find. We visited the restaurant around 2-4pm HK time, so it wasn’t crowded at all. The restaurant was serving afternoon tea at that time, so the menu was pretty limited to several dishes only. The menu is printed in Chinese, so do take note. For afternoon tea, dishes have to be ordered in sets and each set comes with complimentary soybean drink or sour plum drink. Each set comes with a small side and a main dish, and is actually meant for one person, though you can order to share, that’s acceptable too.

For sides, we ordered marinated mini pork ribs, vegetarian spring rolls and Shaghainese “Siu Mai”, which uses glutinous rice instead of traditional meat fillings. For mains, we ordered Yangzhou Fried Rice, Stir Fried Rice Cake with Shredded Meat & Vegetables, and Braised Beef with La Mian Soup. We also made an additional order of Xiao Long Bao. The food was absolutely delicious; I really enjoyed it very much. Special mention goes to the Xiao Long Bao; the thickness of the dumpling skin was just right, and each parcel was filled with fragrant broth and succulent meat. The Yangzhou fried rice was so fragrant and delicious that we ordered 2 servings of it. The stir-fried rice cake too was done really well, though the rice cakes themselves were a little too chewy for my taste. I had problems with the La Mian, which were too soft to be picked up using chopsticks; the noodles kept getting snapped in two… Served in a clear broth, it caters more for those who prefer a lighter taste compared to those heavy on flavour. The tasty braised beef that accompanied the La Mian is an indulgence because it has a lot of fatty meat in it. The La Mian was my least favourite, simply because after trying some very tasty and flavourful mains, the light flavour of noodle soup failed to leave an impression on my taste buds. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the meal very much; the food was just awesome!

Service here is ok; the service crew are polite and helpful in explaining how their afternoon tea thing works. They are quite efficient as well; food came within 10-15 minutes after placing our order. The price is mid-range too; our meal for 7 people came out to only around HK$300. For great food and a pleasant restaurant ambience, this restaurant is quite a good value for money! I will definitely pay this restaurant another visit!

• Visited July 2012

• Korean first
San Antonio TX
“Found: Rapturous Xiao Long Bao”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

In this most recent trip to Hong Kong, I was on a quest to experience the quintessential Xiao Long Bao.

I had thought this would be found at the top rated Din Tai Fung, but was more than a little disappointed. (See my review of that restaurant for more information.)

I was staying at the Garden Hostel on Nathan Boulevard in Tsim Sha Tsui. The desk clerk there was an amiable young Chinese woman. I asked her about a good dim sum restaurant, and specifically about Xiao Long Bao. She was very helpful in pointing me to an area around where the K11 building is, just a few blocks off of Nathan.

I made the short walk to K11 and made my way to basement level 2 where I found the Xia Fei Shanghainese Restaurant.

Immediately impressive is the large picture window facing the exterior of the restaurant where you can watch dumplings and such being made right before your eyes.

I made my way to the entrance and was promptly greeted by a hostess. A quick look around the restaurant dining room made it clear to me that I was not dressed appropriately, so I asked to see a menu and if I could place an order to go. "Yes, of course!"

I wasn't dressed shoddily, I had on was a pair of shorts, a T-shirt, and chinelas. I would say that nice jeans, or trousers and a decent knit pullover woud be more approariate.

Now, while the place is very classy in appearance - very neat and clean and modern - the prices are surprisingly reasonable. An order of Xiao Long Bao (four dumplings), was only HK$28.

Well then!

Two orders for me!

Total price: HK$56, or right around $7.20 US.

They have quite an impressive menu. I wish I would've thought to take pictures of it. But, there's always next time.

It took about 15 minutes for my order to be prepared, during which time I went back to the picture window and watched more dumpling preparation.

I received my order, neatly boxed and packed in a very nice bag. I said "thank you", wheeled around and made a beeline for my room.

As soon as I arrived, I unpacked everything. I was amazed at the translucency of the dumpling wrappers. You could clearly see the liquid soup inside, and you could tell that there was a fair amount of it there, unlike Din Tai Fung.

Sauce, chopsticks, and spoon were provided, so I put a little bit of sauce in the spoon, picked up, rather carefully, one of the dumplings, put it on the spoon and took the bite.

This was what I had been looking for when I went to Din Tai Fung.

Absolutely and indescribably delicious.

I first heard about Xiao Long Bao by watching Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern. Both of them practically fainted when they experienced, separately, their little morsels in Shanghai.

I have to say, I had the same experience with these delicacies from Xia Fei.

My only recommendation would be that you order them for dine in only, as the skins are so thin and delicate, they do not hold up for very long against the soup inside (understandable.) One of mine broke open when I picked it up - I was DEVASTATED (JK, but I was a bit saddened at losing one :). I do not think this is a flaw in the execution of the recipe, rather, they are so absolutely perfectly done, they need to be eaten as soon as they're presented.

On my next trip, I will dress a little more sharply, return to Xia Fei, sit in the dining room, and most certainly have Xiao Long Bao. In addition, I'll sample other items from their most interesting menu.

Believe me when I say that you will not be disappointed if you choose to try out Xia Fei Shanghainese Restaurant.

Please take a look at the photos I've included with this review, and thanks for reading.

Enjoy!