V Wanchai Serviced Apartments
$473
$420
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Cordis, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
$234
$166
Cordis Official
$603
$330
  • Pool
The Royal Garden(Hong Kong)
$138
$129
$172
$147
  • Pool
Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong(Hong Kong)(Great Value!)
$97
$87
  • Restaurant
All reviewsjaffe roadserviced apartmentcrazy shoppingkitchen utensilscomfortable bedwanchai mtr stationwashing machinewalking distanceby hk standardsconventionsinkminibarsofatoiletriesconveniencereceptionistchannels
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The V is a great hotel (and they have several other properties). The rooms are quite large as it appears to once have been an apartment building. it's very clean and mostly quiet but there are some draw backs: There are no services or lobby (we arrived early and had to go sit in the neighboring Novotel's lobby until some coffee shop opened) but there is luggage storage. Free wifi is very nice and reliable. The towels are thin which is disappointing given that everything else is nice and room 201 is near the staff lounge so there's quite a bit of early morning noise... but the worst part is the neighborhood....

Wan Chai is a fairly boring neighborhood. There's a few sleazy expat bars and a couple of nice eateries and hotels (Novotel). A little further east is the much nicer Causeway Bay and west is closer to Central. I am not fancy nor do I care for the onslaught of luxury brand stores that HK loves but this neighborhood has nothing to do, see nor even a joy to walk around. There's some smaller local outdoor markets south of Hennessey and the Star Ferry, convention center and subway are near. The old cemetery on the hill near happy valley is neat but it's a stretch for any tourist to ever need/want to stay here.

And Jaffee Rd, esp the block the hotel is on, is pitiful. It smells like sewage and is mixed in with a recycling center (ah the source of the smell) and some hole-in-the-wall eateries and hardware stores. The irony is that on the other side of the block is a Maserati dealership. But the V looks out on the stinky street and various dirty and sad looking apartment blocks. The local businesses appear to be only hardware stores (bath fixtures, flooring, drapes, etc) and every few feet is a 7-11).

The hotel itself is nice but that is it. if you are planning to stay in your room this is a deal (and I did spend a bit of time working there) but walking around nearby is a disappointment. I won't stay here again, there's no need seeing how many other places there are in HK.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up if you can. Helps with street noise and can open the windows without the smell. Ask for extra towels when you arrive. The housekeeping staff are very very sweet so leave them a tip!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jilly_J_Bean
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I sweated blood looking for a hotel with big rooms on the island at Wan Chai and in the end opted for V Wan Chai in Jaffe Road across the street from the Fleming.

I booked a studio room for myself and my son and a deluxe studio for my wife and 2 daughters. The rooms were HUGE by Hong Kong standards and bigger than I am used to when traveling on business in Australia.

The rates for 4 nights or longer are also modest by HK standards (especially in the week up to Christmas) and the Jaffe Road location is perfect. Walking distance to Wan Chai and Causeway Bay MTRs, Convention Centre and Star Ferry terminal to TST and Avenue of the Stars.

If you are off to the Ladies Market at Yau Ma Tei, you can pick up and return on a double decker 104 bus around the corner from Jaffe Rd in Gloucester Road which is easier than navigating the MTR.

As previous reviewers said restaurants abound near this hotel and it's a short walk to a number of supermarkets (Marks and Sparks Food, Wellcome etc). If coffee is your thing I'd recommend Coffee Academics in Johnston Rd and Mansons Lot in Sawtow Street over Starbucks or Pacific Coffee Company.

I spent a lot of time researching before I decided on V Wan Chai. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else on my next trip to HK and sit here with the smug satisfaction of having picked a gold needle in a haystack. Definitely worth my 5 star rating.

Also I was impressed and reassured by the confirmation emails and reminders from the hotel after booking.

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel website for the best deals.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Gene S
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked the V Wanchai as we wanted a hotel with kitchenette.

Upon arrival at midnight we found out that there was no portacot organised for our toddler! we were extremely disapponted and angry as I had specifically emailed and had received written confirmation back that there would be a portacot. Unfortunately the staff member was not helpful at all and said it would be arranged the next day. Not happy after a long flight with a toddler and having him sleep squished in between us.

The room was clean and spacious with a large bathroom (however we did have a larger room than family members staying at the same time). The kitchenette had a fridge, kettle and microwave but I would have liked a toaster.

I would not return on principal (due to the portacot) however the rest of the stay was pleasant.

Room Tip: We had 701 which was larger than most
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank belmerrick
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay at the V Wanchai on Jaffe Rd. Perfect location - really close to MTR, ferry, and lots of restaurants.
Room was very comfortable, quiet, and I loved the rain shower. Limited amenities at this hotel, but we didn't need anything more. Great value. I would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hucklecat
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I booked V Wanchai after reading a few reviews on travel websites including TripAdvisor. To my surprise the room was very spacious as per HK standards and served well with the room amenities. It's a newly built property and is being maintained well.
The single staff was prompt in helping us check in with a big smile. I am sure to come back again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple