“Best restaurant experience we had in HK”
Review of ChomChom

ChomChom
Ranked #145 of 9,325 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Chôm Chôm is a place on Soho’s Peel Street to gather over beer and the delicious tastes of Vietnamese street food. A casual neighbourhood hangout inspired by Vietnam’s Bai Hoi culture of sipping draft beer on busy street corners, Chôm Chôm brings a new vibrant Vietnamese experience to Soho.
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled upon Chômchôm while wandering around Soho and were extremely glad we did. Fantastic ambience, great music, friendly staff and above all excellent food. Chef Peter and all of his staff were gracious hosts and were more than happy to sit and chat with us, and we were really made to feel welcome.

The menu was a clever twist on Vietnamese street food, Peter has managed to work in influences from the west and even local Cantonese flavours while still staying true to the roots of his cuisine.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Not a great start when they discarded our name on waiting list (what is with this trend of no reservations!!). But the worst was still to come. Ordered cuttlefish from the limited menu (17 or so items) only for it to arrive covered in mould. Service is generally poor with repeated requests having to be made for everything. Music is pumping out like a bar rather than a restaurant. Won't be back at this place.

1  Thank KOBinHK
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Found this place by accident and well worth its high ranking.

Very small and difficult to find. But worth it.

Spring rolls are the best ive had in six years in HK. The Pho fantastic and they kept on asking if i wanted a broth top up - was completely stuffed at end of the meal. Which was very inexpensive.

Nice friendly staff.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have become an addict to Vietnamese cuisine since my return from Ho Chi Minh in early January this year and have been pursuing the taste of pho I had at the streets of HCM.

Came this for lunch. It has sets of 2 or 3 courses with different choices, all under HK$100. I tried the beef pho (the only signature dish here) and fried spring rolls. Taste good. For pho, the broth is the spirit of the whole thing. The beef broth here is very good, ranks second if not the first among those I have tried in Hong Kong. I felt a bit sticky on my lips after taking the whole bowl upside down and this indicates that the broth was really made of a lot of beef and materials boiling for long long hours, not MSG or chemical water.

However, one thing which quite turns me off is the seating. All are bar tables and I felt uncomfortable when sitting. Not a relaxing experience, physically, at least the legs and waist.

1  Thank MissHK2009
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I love noodles, all sorts of noodles, always have, always will. When I first saw Kung Fu Panda, and master Shifu starts talking to Po about the "noodle dream", I could totally relate!!

Chef/Owner Peter Cuong Franklin knows his Pho, I say it with an inner intrinsic need for noodles done right. Peter's noodles go beyond the pedestrian taste profile of any other Pho, the aroma and layers of flavour notes found in the broth is altogether unique and absolutely satisfying, like nothing I've had before. The menu offers various personalized versions of Vietnamese fare life the Banh Mi Baguette Sandwich, or Bun Noodle Salad are all done with equal care and execution. The Viet coffee is also top notch and if you saved room for dessert, there's always the homemade, handcrafted ice cream...

And when you're all done, you'll know deep in your noodle loving heart ~ that was simply sublime!!

1  Thank senninha8

Been to ChomChom? Share your experiences!