“Great food in Soho district”
Review of Monogamous

Monogamous
Ranked #170 of 8,973 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Headed here following the recommendations on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed. Great decor and service. Food was high on quality and flavour, especially the duck. A great find beneath the Mid Levels.

1  Thank DC3MX
There are newer reviews for Monogamous

Reviewed April 25, 2014

My husband and I stumbled upon this restaurant as we were doing the Mid Levels by the escalators. What a lovely oasis tucked away. We met one of the owners and he could not have been nicer to us. The food was outstanding with a wonderful presentation. The interior was relaxing and beautifully decorated with Chinese lamps and paintings.

1  Thank Donna K
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This place can be hard to find - you need to duck under the esclator to find the entrance rather than the main road it sits on. Inside it's an eclectic mix with subdued lighting, but it also has a good atmosphere. The menu is not large but it is varied. Much of it is modern interpretation of Chinese food and as a whole it works well.

We went for a duck, and boy was it good. It came with home made wraps, whichwere smaller than expected, but enough to satisfy before finishing off the rest of the slices by themselves (it arrived at the table pre-sliced). Our tw main courses, Chicken with honeyed walnuts, and Crispy fish with black pepper wereboth superb. The former rich and well ballance (and oh those honeyed walnuts) while the latter was remarkably subtle in taste. The only fly at this stage was our vegetable side dish of Lotus root with sechuan spices. This had heat, but a very consistantm never changing taste. It was boring. With other dishes it may have been better, but for us ...

We finished with a desert, The pudding menu is short so we went for their signature dish, Ice Cream Soufle Balls. To me some one had a neat idea and went with it, but it was an idea that did not work, If I'd been toying with a 5 for rating them then this was an auto knock-back to 4 stars. It was ot a souffle, but rather doughnuts (and over eggy ones) filled with melted ice cream. Not good.

Forgetting the pudding and the veg, this place is great. I'd come back again.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is, interestingly, an authentic Chinese restaurant serving Szechuan/Shanghai/Peking food. I say authentic because 90+% of their clientele are non-Chinese and the restaurant doesn't even have a Chinese name. I thoroughly enjoyed the vast majority of the items we ordered. Their predominantly western patrons notwithstanding, to my surprise, that was one of the best Szechuan cuisines I have ever had. As a Chinese HongKonger, I prefer that they consider adding a "poetic" Chinese name as well.

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

3 For dinner, prebooked Friday night. Menu covered a good range of selections and the dishes we had were all good. Surroundings were interestingly Mao inspired, respectful fun. Service also good, dishes well timed.