“Pleasant Warmth in Hong Kong”

Hotel Madera Hong Kong
Ranked #27 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Manila, Philippines
“Pleasant Warmth in Hong Kong”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Hong Kong is not exactly known for being the warmest of people, but service of the staff at the Madera Hotel defied this common (mis)perception.

Hong Kong is an expensive place and it took me a while to zero in on a hotel with a good location, reasonable rates and hopefully pleasant staff. The Madera Hotel did not disappoint.

It is very close to the Mong Kok station, but it is in a quiet side street. The subway station is just a corner away, around 3 minutes' walk. The hotel itself is fairly new, so you will enjoy crisp, new linen, fluffy, white towels. The room is a bit small, but I wouldn't say cramped. I've been in smaller but more expensive rooms in Hong Kong, so I won't complain about this. The bathroom is very clean, with a his and hers sink set-up.

My online booking did not include breakfast, though. And I don't think the hotel has a cafe or a restaurant. I am not sure about this. However, there is a cozy restaurant right in front of the hotel that serves more than decent food at reasonable prices.

The best surprise is the quality of service the staff extended. They were not off-putting, and were actually quite helpful each time we'd ask for suggestions.

Surely, I will be checking out other hotels to experience in my future trips to Hong Kong, but I am comforted by the thought that I can fall back on the Madera when I fail in my search for another great place to stay in.

Room Tip: Take the higher floors to reduce street sounds - the Mong Kok area can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Aggie_Manalac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

The service is excellent. Very good located in Kowloon side. The rooms simple but good enough. Is a nice touch to have free minibar the first time. For the price, I won´t be very picky on some details so overall the value is unbeatable. I´m a gym rat, so I will always note that could be an improvement on the equipment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank draghignazzo
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I would absolutely recommend hotel Madera. It's new and clean. The standard room had enough space, nice bathroom and wide, comfortable bed. Excellent view from the rooftop bar. The breakfast was quite basic, but better than nothing. A bit pricey, but everything is in Hong Kong. The location is very good near the metro. You should also visit the chinese restaurant on the other side of the street. Full of locals, and the food was amazing (and cheap).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarionB432
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Madera hotel is relatively new and absolutely value for money. Great room, clean, seperate bathroom with walk in shower and double sink. Located close to Nathan road for shopping, only 1 stop away from the Kowloon water front and tons of restaurant in the vicinity. Go to the 29th floor for great view over the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 95Business_traveller
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed at the Madera mid April on our way through Hong Kong and again early May as we passed through on our way back home. Both stays were excellent, staff very helpful at all times. The hotel is very well located just a few metres off Nathan Road and is easily accessible by bus from the airport or by the MTR. Our last stay was in September 2012 and we would definitely stay at the Madera again if we are passing through Hong Kong.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zambrosia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was newly constructed (just opened earlier in 2012) so we anticipated everything to be on the newer side and we were not disappointed! We stayed for 4 days in a Delude Room.

The front desk was very courteous and trilingual (Cantonese, Mandarin, and English). The front desk attendants actually seem pleased to help us with questions and taxi service!

Since it rained while we were there, the property provided Madera-logo umbrellas by the front door.

The room is on the cozier side but the newness and cleanliness more than make up for it. The decor is modern but very comfortable. The items in the Welcome Minibar consisting of drinks (water and sodas) and snacks (which included instant ramen and sundries) in the room were free-of-charge. The property also provides WIFI free of charge.

The bathroom was spacious (the size of which accounted for almost 1/3 of the room) and incredibly clean. No stains whatsoever!!!

The location is prime with subway stops being within 2 city blocks and various bus lines just down the alleyway the property is situated on.

Also notable is the rooftop bar which is cozy and definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JCLi
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

As a male solo first time visitor to Hong Kong (late April / early May) I planned to walk about Hong Kong to see as much as I could in the five (5) days I had available.

After viewing ‘Hong Kong Walks’ on the fantastic Hong Kong Tourism Boards website - http://www.discoverhongkong.com/au/see-do/tours-walks/self-guided-walks/hong-kong-walks/index.jsp and deciding on which walk(s) I wanted to do, it was then just a matter of choosing my accommodation.

After weighing up location, tariff and finally reviews of previous TripAdvisor travellers I chose Madera Hong Kong located in Jordan; pretty well the centre of my planned trekking about Hong Kong.

Let me say from the outset, my stay at Madera Hong Kong was a joy; and was one of the highlights during my time in Hong Kong.

Arriving at the international airport and collecting my baggage it was then a matter of purchasing an Octopus Card and ‘topping’ it up with a few extra $HKs. With baggage in tow and my Octopus Card swiped on the boarded Cityflyer Bus No A21 it was a ride until stop 10 (Nathan Hotel, Nathan Road) where I alighted, then it was just a few minutes’ walk further along Nathan Road until I reached Cheong Lok Street and Madera Hong Kong accommodation. When travelling back to the international airport on Cityflyer Bus No. A21 you board at stop 8 (Ning Po Street, Nathan Road) – the other side of Nathan Road.

The lobby of Madera Hong Kong was welcoming, and the desk staff were even more so. They were always a very happy crew any time; early day through to late night.

Checked-in, it was then into the lift where I swiped my room card and press the floor number; other accommodation floors couldn’t be selected. I had booked the Hypo-Allergenic Double Room which was located on the 21st floor. A very nice room indeed and as I was to find out during my stay the shower and ‘Jacuzzi’ whirlpool bathtub was bliss after ‘pounding the pavement’ taking in all the daylight sights and wanting to get refreshed before ‘hitting’ a restaurant or having a meal at the open air tables around Temple Street markets – now that’s an experience. Restaurant recommendation: Try a ‘Four Seasons Pizza’ at Dimpal Fusion Restaurant & Bar, 283 Temple Street (found on the other - southern - side of Jordan Road).

In my room the bed and pillows were heaven. The room’s television was great. A nice touch was the free first night snacks & drinks. The wardrobe space was fine and there was a safe in the room. The view from the room is nothing special except when a late afternoon storm rolled in; curtains pulled back I watched Mother Nature do her stuff.

On the ground floor is a gallery/museum with a whole array of interesting memorabilia to see (and photograph). Sadly the vintage vehicle was not on show … next time.

If you intend travelling to the four (4) corners of Hong Kong – or even one corner for that matter - then I’d recommend you use the metro … don’t forget your Octopus Card. Returning back to Madera Hong Kong detrain at Jordan station then exit via Exit B1, then make a right hand turn into Nathan Road then a right hand turn at the second street, Cheong Lok Street and there’s Madera Hong Kong accommodation.

I found all the staff were wonderful from Barton at Café 1997 (serving breakfast) to the desk staff. A special mention goes to Rui - the most helpful concierge in all of Hong Kong.

My stay at Madera Hong Kong whilst short was memorable for all the right reasons. When I return again to Hong Kong I know where this happy customer will be staying again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo