“Good location, decent food, poor service”

Hooray Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #5,946 of 8,959 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Came here a few years ago and remember this being a good restaurant. Has gone downhill, especially the service.

Food was actually quite good (3 of us - two had pasta, one had the Wagyu beef burger).
Location-wise, this is conveniently located in Causeway Bay (behind Sogo).

What let it down was the service, actually the lack of service. They weren't particularly busy but were just slow to serve customers. Would go back but with low expectations of the professionalism of the staff.

1  Thank Mokkey8
There are newer reviews for Hooray Bar and Restaurant

Reviewed July 1, 2014

On a flying visit to Hong Kong we were recommended this place for its good food and roof top view across the harbour. We booked in advance the staff taking the booking helpful and attentive, that's about where it ended. I could not fault the food we had Wagyu beef burgers very tasty but at 14oz it was far to big to finish which was a waste. The service from sitting down was slow to the point of non existent, when we did get a drink the orders were wrong. Although there was a head of service woman with a radio giving orders the service just didn't happen, looking around it was not just us, locals tended to leave the table and go to the bar for drinks. The menu was confused there didn't appear to be a theme it just had too much and too varied on it. Overall it is not an experience I would want to repeat even paying took ages, we left and went elsewhere for nightcaps, helped along by the fact the heavens opened up so the view went (I know that is beyond the restaurant's control). By contrast we took in some of the small locals eateries the food fantastic and service fast attentive and everyone pleased to see you and at a fraction of the price, so when in Hong Kong follow the locals.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

High quality food in a cool setting. Affordable prices. European/international cusine. No great view but the terrace is anyway worth the visit.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Went out to visit friends from Manila. We chanced upon Hooray as their hotel was in the area. Got dinner first and everything seemed alright. The pizza was respectable and their pasta and starters were great. Beer was served very well too. Following dinner we moved over to the bar which had a great view of the Hong Kong Harbour (been to Hooray once before and this sold us to it!). Upon settling in the bar manned by long haired younger folk, we got a sense that we were "on our own". Whereas at the dinner area, the service was fantastic. Our challenges started when we ordered our first set of drinks. The waited charged us immediately but I told him to open a tab since we will be staying around for more....he demanded I give a credit card which I did. Getting our next orders were like pulling teeth. Some youngish looking waiters insisted we pick up our others at the other end of the restaurant which I found unacceptable. And then again, then again, then again. I was saddened by my experience here. The young thuggish and not-so service oriented bar personnel brought the score way down south despite the lovely dinner. Those waiters ought to know their woeful attitude has no place in the HK restaurant scene. Wont be visiting here again.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

The cocktails here are nasty, we ordered sake cocktails and Japanese plum wine cocktails. I prefer Excelsior Totts bar. The view is not as high but you get a pretty good vantage point in viewing the causeway bay habour and also overlooking Kowloon. But this place itself looks really amazing from the restaurant to the bar. Pity about the cocktails. Service wise I think they are pretty good, but English isnt so great.