“A great and low priced place to stay”

Day and Night Hotel
Ranked #81 of 164 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Overall, this hotel was a great place to stay. It's located inside the Chungking Mansions. However, upon my arrival into the Tsim Sha Tsui area by airport express van, due to the particular drop off point, I had a bit of trouble finding the hotel's location but eventually after alot of hard work, I came across it.

Bottom line, the interiors of the rooms are EXTREMELY clean. That's the one true thing I noticed the entire time I remained in HK. As one of the previous reviewers wrote, for those who may be griping about how they don't want small rooms, no lodging without breakfast etc. you should probably pay a little more for those kinds of amenities.
However, for myself, it's a trip and thus high priced lodging is usually never my objective but for others, I know is.
The staff were very nice and quite helpful in many ways in the duration of stay.
The hotel has a hot water boiler and a microwave if you want to buy something at say a 7 Eleven and bring it back to your room. There is also a computer at the front door for those who wish to check emails and whatnot.
The air conditioning worked great although I didn't really need it that much anyways, and the ceiling fan worked as well.

The bathroom is very tiny with not much wiggle room to pass through. The shower will almost always have nice hot water (but was sometimes a tad cooler since I'm assuming others had used it at a particular and more recent time).
You will have to ask for a towel since they were not provided upon first arriving at my room and there was also no soap to use.
* Luckily I had read reviews via another website and decided to bring my own towel and soap so I was all set!

Finally, there's a TV, small refrigerator *(great for buying large bottles of water to keep when going out on daily excursions, as well as other snacks), and a nice warm blanket in case you get cold.
The other unique element about this hotel was that it was truly security minded. One must enter a code just to open the front door. Then after passing reception, there's yet another door that has to be accessed and another after that (but all using the same code).
Then you also get a turn key plus a key card to power the room.
Bottom line? I found that the hotel to be extremely safe to stay in.
I enjoyed staying at this hotel and would recommend other single travelers to do the same. The other great thing is that thing called 'location'. From the hotel and walking out to the main street? What street is it? None other than the infamous Nathan Road and the also very close Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station.
From the hotel the location was great as many of my day trips were simply accessed by this very road either by walking to a particular point or simply by jumping onto the MTR to get wherever I wanted to go.
* The only thing I will say and that was a minor disadvantage was that the elevators are frequently jam packed and one may have to wait a bit before catching a ride down to the ground floor. Going up there were almost no problems though. One can use the stairs to get down although they can look a little seedy sometimes and not very clean.

In conclusion? I'd certainly choose to remain here again if and when I return to HK (which I think I will at some point simply because the trip was really cool in general).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeff206

Reviewed March 4, 2013

So this time it was HongKong and we all know the hotel rates are soring high. Day and night hotel is just everything that you would want as a budget traveller. For those who complain of room size, more comfort, star service, may be the holiday inn next door with few extra hundred dollers is what you should consider. For travellers like me, Day and night it goes like this:
1 - Excellent location. Your are actually connected to the entire HongKong from this place Tsim sha Tsui by metro, bus, ferry, walk. Its your choice. :-)
2 - Cleanliness and safety - No second thought and doubts. Very very clean, and safe for famlilies. I stayed with my wife and inlaws.
3 - Yes you have to work your way to the lift passing some hawkers selling you everthing on earth but a stern yet polite NO with a smile keeps them away.
4 - Choice of food for those who love Indian and Pakistani food.
5 - The hotel staff, the owner they go a step ahead and help you in everthing that they can make your stay comfortable..

So overall, This hotel DAY and NIGHT in Chunking Mansion is a BIG YES for me and I will stay there for sure next time.

Room Tip: Block D lift Que is long sometime as it is Busy. Used Block E lift and once you pop out of the lift...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2013

So firstly to get to the elevators to head up to the hostel, you have to make your way through a maze of shops & stalls. The area is busy and a little dirty, but we still felt safe. On first impressions it seemed like we had made a bit of a mistake, however once you get to the 10th floor and enter the reception, clean marble floors and freindly staff greet you. The rooms themselves are basic, but very nice, clean and for the price we have always managed to pay they have generally exceeded expectations. First time we stayed we had booked a double and got a free upgrade to the family room which had 2 double beds and a lot more room! The double room is fine if you are a couple though, it has everything you need.

Every time we visit Hong Kong from Macau, we stay here now. It is right by the MTR station, and a 5 minute walk to the Avenue of Stars.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

the place is not that much good specially outside but if you are in the day and night property its reasonable, the staff is so good and accomodates very well all guest, and they are willing to extend their help, the receptionist rowena villanueva and the manager phebi evangelista are so good staff they accomodate us very well and even help us to find the best place to visit, they even gave us idea where to go and visit hongkong nice places and tourist spot,

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2012

OK, so you have read the other reviews, and I can honestly say that the people giving this place 1 star are over-exaggerating.

Yes there is an indoor market downstairs, but they rarely trouble you for anything and is safe to walk through.

Yes the lifts take forever, but you have legs so use the stairs if you are that pushed for time.

Yes the rooms are small, but they are pretty clean and functional - this is Hong Kong you are staying in so if you want plush surroundings then pay the extra few hundred dollars a night and go to the Holiday Inn or somewhere.

The location is absolutely spot-on, ideal for the harbour and for the markets.

The staff were absolutely fine and DO speak good English and were friendly and helpful.

To summarise - stay here if you are on a budget, travelling or just don't have the cash to stay in the over-priced hotels nearby, it will be exactly what you need from a hotel (it's NOT a hostel) i.e. you sleep there and go out in the day.

I would definitely stay here again, unless I win the lottery in the meantime...

Oh, and the film Chungking Express was filmed here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Spent more than a week here - first in a very nice triple room with two of my friends and then in a 6 bed dorm room. Yes, the rooms are tiny but very clean and cosy.
Very good wifi. Warm water in reception so you can drink tea, eat cup noodles etc. Very friendly and helpful staffs. Awesome location!
When you are at Day and Night Hotel it feels like you're far away from all the rush on the bottom floor of Chunking Mansion :)
I would definitely choose to stay at Day and Night Hotel again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2012

As my title goes, this is not a hotel but a dirty HOSTEL. The place is equipped with a small tv and a bed. The wash room has enough room to stand only. The bed sheets are full of stains and the place stinks. The staff hardly speaks english as they are from native india punjab (trust me their hindi is as bad as their english). The hotel is located in chung mansions building where only one lifts goto the hostel floor. The lifts are ALWAYS! busy and you have to wait atleast 15min to go down....usually the lifts will be full. Chung mansions has all sorts of indian / pakistani food outlets and people around...they will be ready to strike any tourist offering them cheap food advice or mobile sim cards. My advice would be to stay away from this place and look somewhere else...ive stayed in other placed around hong kong...but this one will clearly go down the line to one of the worst!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends