“horrible experience”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“horrible experience”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

During our trip to HK we decided to go to Sam's to make a suit and shirts: what a big error! What a disappointment and what a waste of money! First of all, the service is very bad. Certainly, they offer you water or beer while you wait your turn but people were not cordial in particular Sam the boss who never smiles and does not say hello. I think sincerely that customers are treated differently if they are simple tourists (that was our case) or expatriates. I do not understand how we can make the buzz on this shop, it is a joke.

You should also know that you have to pay everything in advance and that the refund does not seem possible. We needed to make several adjustments to the suit because nothing went well and the staff rather than admitting their errors tried to justify them by saying that roughly it was like that it should be done and that they are the tailors, ont us. On this point, on the contrary we knew a bit about tailoring and fashion and apparently more than them. At the end the jacked is not slim enough. The staff just had apparently not the time to repare it...they even for ne thing said they made the change but we had the proof they did not. We noticed that buttons on the jacket of the suit were differents than those on the pants...

To finish with, shirts are too not slim enough and buttons are ugly. When we made the remark to Sam he said that we could change them in our country. This answer is totally unacceptable because we paid to have bespoke suit and not to have a suit which is not finished! There was also pen mark on the shirt which did disappear after washing...I stop there because I could continue on several pages.Just remerber one thing: Sam's tailor is not a good choice.

Visited February 2013
11 Thank Emilie C
Taghioff, Public Relations Manager at Sam's Tailor, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Sir

We at Sam's are very sorry to hear of your difficulties in getting your suits adjusted to your requirements. Sometimes misunderstandings arise, and all the changes you require can may not get completed within the timespan of your visit to Hong Kong.

This is why we offer a corrections service to our customers, even from outside of Hong Kong. You can contact us anytime via our website, and we can arrange for any necessary corrections to be made.

We do hope that you avail of this service, and send us your full list of alteration requests. We appreciate our discerning customers, and their high standards of style and taste.

Regards, Sam's Tailor

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I recently visited Hong Kong and, after some research and recommendations, went to Sam's Tailor for custom shirts and dress slacks. I was a bit put off by the negative reviews, but could not have been more pleased! I have no idea who the people with negative experiences visited, but the Sam's Tailor I met was fantastic. Roshan met me at the door, listened to what I wanted, had his staff help me with selecting the fabrics, measured me, and sent me on my way. The whole process took 30 minutes, with Roshan juggling 4 or 5 different customers, all with absolute courtesy and attention to detail. I cam back for a fitting 2 days later for the pants, and 2 days after that came in to pick everything up. Everything was perfect, just what I asked for. I wore one set of shirt/pants the next day and could not be more pleased - I will never go back to off-the-rack again!

The price for shirts and slacks was about the same as off-the-rack sale prices at Nordstrom, my normal place for clothes. What I got was a better fit with better material. I highly recommend Sam's to anyone in Hing Kong who appreciates nice clothing.

Visited February 2013
6 Thank Jcusackaz
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Terrible product and service”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I purchased two shirts from Sam's on a recent trip to Hong Kong and will never purchase anything there again. In short, the product and service were both terrible.

I'll start with the product. I ordered two shirts - one short and one long sleeve. Both shirts looked more like women's blouses than men's shirts because they flared out around the waist - definitely not the look I was going for. Additionally, the short sleeve shirt I ordered was much too large for me both in the body and the arms, even though I wore a very slim cut shirt and specified to the tailor who took my measurements that I wanted the fit of my slim shirt replicated. The short sleeve shirt looks so bad it is unwearable, and I could have gotten better fitting long sleeve shirts off the rack.

The service also left much to be desired. I was promised that my shirts would be delivered to my hotel the night before I was departing Hong Kong, but much to my surprise they were not there in the morning when I checked with the hotel. I called Sam's and they said they had no record of committing to that delivery, which was just not true. They ultimately shipped the shirts to my home in the US relatively quickly, but the fact that they made a promise they didn't deliver on and then didn't own up to it added further disappointment.

I am disappointed about my experience and had hoped that Sam's would live up to the hype. In fact, I set aside ~10 fabrics in my file there to order additional shirts in the event I was happy with the first two I ordered. Sam's may have great tailors that make shirts and suits for celebrities and presidents, but I GUARANTEE you your clothes won't come anywhere near these great tailors if you're just an average customer.

Visited March 2012
8 Thank howto2
Taghioff, Public Relations Manager at Sam's Tailor, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Sir

We are very sorry to hear of your feeling let down by your experience at Sam's. We would like to assure you that we operate a policy of correcting all problems with products free of charge. Please contact us via the contact form on our website and we will make the necessary arrangements.

We would also like to apologise for your delivery circumstances having been changed. It can happen that such things are not recorded properly when the commitment is made, and we apologise for that happening. However, as there is a rotation of staff in-store it can be that another member of staff then cannot find any record of the arrangement that was made. We appreciate that this is very frustrating for you as a customer, but please rest assured that our staff were not misleading you when they told you no record was found, and that they did their best to get your shirts to you in a timely manner.

We at Sam's strive to provide the best possible quality of products and services, and would urge you to contact us to get your shirts corrected.

Regards, Sam's Tailor
San Francisco, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Not suitable for women”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

After my husband having success with two blazers made by Sam's Tailor, I decided to give it a try for a blazer myself. I have to say that they can turn around product very quickly - the reason why I gave them two stars. But aside from that, it was a true disappointment for me. The quality of the fabric that I was 'sold' on by Manu was, per his description, 'their best cashmere'. I knew by the feel it was a low grade cashmere/wool at best and my husband verified that (as his family actually produces high, luxury end cashmere in Italy). And for every fitting Manu was trying to sell me on the fabric. Lesson learned from my husband as he did it this time around - bring in your own fabric.

And then I was hoping that the style of the jacket would be nice form fitting, flattering/modern and I described that in my fittings. However the end result was something that was boxy/no shape and really can't be worn. I did mention the boxiness in my final fitting but they said they couldn't do anything. And then Manu tried to divert that conversation by showing me my name embroidered on the inside of the jacket - as if that makes me content. He also offered for me to wear it a couple of times and maybe they can do something in six months/year. But given my frequency in HK, it will be a couple of years before I'm back. I hope to save the jacket by having it altered when I get back home to San Francisco. But honestly, I could buy a better fitting blazer with better fabric via a mid level company like J Crew. And once my additional alterations are done, the Sam's jacket will not be a bargain.

I will admit that if I do this again, as I did some research after the fact, I should bring in a photo of the style I want. However and IMHO, this is a blazer - they should get this right. But I should have realized that it wouldn't be right as I watched an Australian woman having the same issue while I was waiting for my first fitting two days ago - boxy and not flattering.

Visited January 2013
7 Thank Kristen B
Taghioff, Public Relations Manager at Sam's Tailor, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Madam

We are happy to hear that your husband, who seems to have a long family tradition of quality textile production, was so happy with the blazers he commissioned from us. We are also glad to hear that you were pleased with the fast turnaround, which we delivered on.

We are very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the quality of the fabric, and the fit of your suit.

In terms of choice of fabric, we do not specialise in cashmeres in the colours and tones found in women's suits, so we indeed had to offer you the best cashmeres we had in the colours you wanted. We are sorry if this is not the same as that produced by your husband's family. Perhaps it is indeed wise to source the precise quality and colour of cashmere that you require in advance, as you say.

We also apologise that you were not satisfied with the fitting. Women's suits, with the unique shapes and taste that every women has, are of course a challenge. We pride ourselves in successfully producing women's suits for many women with very high standards, as you can see from our website. Of course the art of bespoke Tailoring does not always run smoothly, and we apologise that you were not satisfied in the end, even having had a chance to wear it, and see how it relaxes to your form.

We offered additional alterations at the time, and extend that offer once more. Please do avail of our free correction service via our website, and we will ensure that your suit is refitted to your precise specifications. And yes, if you have a precise idea about how you want a suit to look, then please do forward an image of what you have in mind to us, and we will see what we can do to alter your suit towards that, though you must be aware that there are limits to the changes we can make after the fact.

We hope that you give us the opportunity to meet your requirements to the best of our abilities, and look forward from hearing from you.

Regards

Sam's Tailor

>>>

Folkestone, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Forty Years of Sam”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I first met Sam's Tailors on my first posting to Hong Kong in 1970 when it was being run by the present proprietor's father. Shirts, suits, dinner jacket, smoking jacket, morning suit all made by Sam, father and sons, and now (December 2012) a replacement for a regimental blazer he made for me in the early seventies. While with the lifting of exchange control it is no longer necessary to visit Sam's to cash UK cheques, one is still offered a cold beer while being measured. Excellent service, superb quality, very good value. I am still wearing suits made by Sam's thirty years ago.
JGH Corrigan