“Decidedly Average Considering The Price”
Review of 22o North

22o North
Ranked #1,580 of 10,364 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Having just dined there at lunchtime today and spent HK$1400+ (US$180) on lunch for four without wine, I think it was decidedly average. This is the first time we have dined in this restaurant and I would say we will not be returning again soon. The service was attentive and the owner/manager was also but the food was only average. I had Black Mussels for my main course which were pretty tasteless I have to say. My wife and daughter had Lamb Tagine with Couscous. Their food was passable but nothing out of the ordinary. My sin stuck to his traditional pasta in pesto sauce and he said it was fine, it certainly smelled nice. We had three desserts and here again my Tiramisu was tasteless. I finished it off with an Italian Coffee but I think they just waved the Amaretto Liqueur over the top as it certainly was not in the coffee.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Great views from the terrace, this restaurant is relatively small, nice friendly and efficient staff, food is always excellent. Try teh Mussels in white wine, the steaks are to die for, fish is fresh as are their oysters.
Nice bottle of Chateau Neuf or a Chablis and one of their excellent deserts to finish the evening - This is well worth a trip thats why its busy most evenings of the week and full all weekend, so book. Thanks Phillipe. Well done.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were in Discovery Bay for 3nights and each night dined at 22North. We ventured into the restaurant the first time in the late afternoon. We were told by the staff that they were not open. Upon discovering that we had just flown in from Europe it was suggested we sit down with a drink and wait for the restaurant to open. We did just that. they opened early for us. Before we knew it we were feasting on a sea food platter! The food was delicious and fresh. The next evening was the same. The staff and owner were very welcoming, friendly and accommodating. On the final night we were lucky enough to be there for a music night. There was a four course meal on offer. Once again the food was lovely, fresh and plentiful. The ambience of this restaurant is enhanced by the outdoor seating overlooking the bay. Beautiful and memorable. A great way to end a holiday!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

To be fair we only got takeaway and not eaten in the restaurant but after our awful food experience we wouldn't go back. We ordered Fish n Chips and lets face it, it's an easy dish when your just taking the fish in batter and chips out of the freezer and throwing it in a deep fat fryer. The chips & batter were very oily and the fish looked grey. But we ate it (minus the batter and most of the chips). The fish didn't have any flavour but didn't taste off. But both my husband and I had upset stomachs and heartburn afterwards. Leaving an awful taste in the mouth all through to the following day. Wouldn't go back.

Reviewed December 17, 2011

I went there for the famous "mussels with french fries". I am from Belgium where this is a famous dish. As I heard the owner of this restaurant is a Belgian, expectations were high but we came back very disappointed. We ordered in a group (maybe that was a mistake). We all had mussels. For 6 persons at our table we got 2 portions of mussels (the size of what I would normally eat on my own) and a little bit of fries. Not only was this not enough, the quality of the mussels was also very bad. They were very small and weird. Some people in our party even got sick the night after. And I was still very hungry after the dinner.
I have to stay objective so I will also mention the positive aspects: our entrees were very good and the restaurant has a very nice terrace at the waterfront.
So I leave it up to you but if you visit this restaurant, I would certainly recommend to choose another dish, refrain from ordering mussels.